2013 4* ATH Jayron Kearse (Clemson signee)

WarTiger

IMO we have slightly bigger fish to fry, he might be a NSD backup plan. ;)

• Replies 522
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wonder if the coaches would even still sign him.

I don't think he has a commitable offer, but depending on the circumstances, I do think the coaches would sign him. If I had to guess, I'd say AUTiger2012 is right about him being backup plan.

He said he's waiting until signing day.  I heard the coaches are after him pretty hard.  I hope he doesn't know he's a back up plan cuz I doubt the other schools after him regards him as that

He said he's waiting until signing day.  I heard the coaches are after him pretty hard.  I hope he doesn't know he's a back up plan cuz I doubt the other schools after him regards him as that

Well, the thing is that we don't really know what the coaches are looking for, we can only guesstimate. I would say he's a backup plan because 1) we don't have much room left, and 2) he's so fickle with going back and forth that the coaches aren't willing to accept his commitment and possibly scare other prospects away, but because of his versatile nature, I suppose it's possible that we could end up taking him as a WR or a LB. I don't see him being recruited as a safety with his height.

I might be wrong here but kids that jump around with their commitments often go back to where they started if given the chance.....those last words (give the chance) being the key.  So would the coaches give him another chance?  After all, he's about 18 and kids that age are subject to changes of opinion, even about important things.

I might be wrong here but kids that jump around with their commitments often go back to where they started if given the chance.....those last words (give the chance) being the key.   So would the coaches give him another chance?  After all, he's about 18 and kids that age are subject to changes of opinion, even about important things.

Well if you believe the articles then it seems the coaches are recruiting him pretty hard and giving him a chance.

I might be wrong here but kids that jump around with their commitments often go back to where they started if given the chance.....those last words (give the chance) being the key.   So would the coaches give him another chance?  After all, he's about 18 and kids that age are subject to changes of opinion, even about important things.

Yeah, reminds me of Ricardo Louis.  I don't remember if he actually committed to FSU after decommitting from us, but I know at one time we thought we had lost him.  Now, word is, he is ALL IN!!

Well, the thing is that we don't really know what the coaches are looking for, we can only guesstimate. I would say he's a backup plan because 1) we don't have much room left, and 2) he's so fickle with going back and forth that the coaches aren't willing to accept his commitment and possibly scare other prospects away, but because of his versatile nature, I suppose it's possible that we could end up taking him as a WR or a LB. I don't see him being recruited as a safety with his height.

Yeah all that you said makes sense.  I think if you're agile and quick enough to play wr you can play safety (as far as moving and stuff)  Also if they saying he's 6'4'' I'm thinking he's probably 6'2''-6'3''. 

Yeah all that you said makes sense.  I think if you're agile and quick enough to play wr you can play safety (as far as moving and stuff)  Also if they saying he's 6'4'' I'm thinking he's probably 6'2''-6'3''. 

It's different playing receiver than it is playing safety. There are several big receivers who would not make very good defensive backs because playing DB means you have to have great hips to rotate one way or the other as you look back while you run; receivers know exactly where they are going already. For example, Anthony Mix might could have played linebacker, but he wouldn't have been a safety.

Probably right about the height though, and if he's 6'2 with decent hips, I could see him being the second safety, I suppose.

Yeah I played Corner/safety/wr so I know.  I'm saying if you're recruited to play wr you could play safety physically.  Not corner but strictly safety.  Mix was more of an h back athletically.  He worked the middle of the field like a tight end.  You rarely saw him line up on the outside to play wr.  There are always "freaks" that can play and do things that not normally able.  Since he's the nephew of the freak genetically he may be one of those guys.  Like the guy who plays corner for NC state that had like 13 int's he's 6'3''.  Or even Calvin Johnson when he played.  I'm sure some people was probably saying he was too big for a wr.  I like having the thought of a big safety back there making  wr's feel it when they make a catch.

Yeah I played Corner/safety/wr so I know.  I'm saying if you're recruited to play wr you could play safety physically.  Not corner but strictly safety.  Mix was more of an h back athletically.  He worked the middle of the field like a tight end.   You rarely saw him line up on the outside to play wr.  There are always "freaks" that can play and do things that not normally able.  Since he's the nephew of the freak genetically he may be one of those guys.  Like the guy who plays corner for NC state that had like 13 int's he's 6'3''.  Or even Calvin Johnson when he played.   I'm sure some people was probably saying he was too big for a wr.  I like having the thought of a big safety back there making  wr's feel it when they make a catch.

I like 6'1, 6'2, 200-220 lb safeties, but I worry about their ability to adjust. Hip rotation isn't as important at safety as corner, but it's more important than at receiver. Calvin Johnson is one of the best receivers in the game, absolutely, but I can't see him being anywhere near as good a safety as a wideout.

Do you remember Marcus Roberson from last year? He outsmarted himself.

That can sure happen...fewer schollys available these days and more early commitments that fill the slots pretty early.    Even a 4* can end up being the guy without a comfortable chair when the music stops.

Do you remember Marcus Roberson from last year? He outsmarted himself.

I don't know about that really.  He got a full ride to Florida and started as a true freshman.  He's probably not feeling to dumb about it.

Kearse is visiting USC for a multiple day visit.  USC currently leads according to twitter.

Good. Maybe he will commit, making it even tougher for USC to offer Rodgers.

USC has 18 schollys to offer and looks like they are going to get close to eighteen 5* players.  That NCAA probabation really taking a toll on their recruiting.  :o

USC has 18 schollys to offer and looks like they are going to get close to eighteen 5* players.  That NCAA probabation really taking a toll on their recruiting.  :o

18??? Where did you get that? I thought it was 15? Do they get to count 3 back to last year or something?

Was Kiffen the OC and recruiting coordinator at the time the violations occured that have them on prohbation now?

Yes but he was not linked to the allegations.

Yeah, but their depth will be depleted in a few years IMO. Losing that many scholly's hurts eventually.

That's likely..one of the hazards of 5* players is if they work out well, some of them will be gone as Juniors...but creative people like that USCw bunch will probably figure out how to get enough walk-ons to fill the slots on special teams, etc.  Also if they do a good job of retention with the guys the bring in, they have a chnance to build a reasonable sized squad...maybe not 85 but lots of teams get by with fewer.  My main (intended) point was that the kids do not seem turned off by the shady history of USCw.

Yeah, but their depth will be depleted in a few years IMO. Losing that many scholly's hurts eventually.

They better win it all this year because the depth problem will be terrible for the next few years.

That's likely..one of the hazards of 5* players is if they work out well, some of them will be gone as Juniors...but creative people like that USCw bunch will probably figure out how to get enough walk-ons to fill the slots on special teams, etc.   Also if they do a good job of retention with the guys the bring in, they have a chnance to build a reasonable sized squad...maybe not 85 but lots of teams get by with fewer.   My main (intended) point was that the kids do not seem turned off by the shady history of USCw.

I agree. That has been shocking to me as well. All I can figure is lame takes his wife with him when he is around these recruits.

Archived