Masoli denied waiver

Ed_

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

...and back to last in the west expectations for Ole Miss.  I'm actually pretty surprised.  To my understanding, the transfer follows all the rules.  He got his undergrad degree from Oregon, he got on the team as a walk-on at Mississippi, and he enrolled in a grad program not offered at Oregon.  Call it a loophole all you want, they followed the rules.  They still have a chance at appeal, but it'll be a good chunk of the season before they could finally get him through.

The NCAA made the right decision. He left Oregon to avoid suspension. No other reason. This rule is for players who have gotten their degree but are trapped down the depth chart who want to go elsewhere for the opportunity at playing time. He doesn't want to have to deal with the punishment that was handed to him for mistakes he made. He should not be rewarded by being allowed to play this year. You do the crime, you do the time.

Spirit of the rules means that particular rule was made for players who have done things the right way at one school on and off the field. They have gotten their degree but still has eligibility left. They can leave school A and transfer to school B. School B must offer a graduate program that school A doesn't offer. A player can transfer in search of playing time under those conditions. He is violating the spirit of the rules because the only reason he's doing this is because he's suspended for the year by Oregon. Had he stayed out of trouble he would be playing this year. It has nothing to do with depth chart issues, which is what players use the rule for. Why reward a guy for not doing things the right way? Does that make any sense?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^This and Yes^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

He shouldn't be cleared. My opinion has nothing to do with Ole Miss being tougher to beat if he was playing. It is for the principal of the matter.

I sorta feel bad for the kid. I bet your butt he would have been a clean cut guy this year. It was his last, "last chance" and he knew it. He is just too young to lose his last shot at some thing he has worked for since park ball.

Geesh, he is a college grad! He got kicked off the team for smokin pot? In Oregon? (everybody smokes pot in Oregon) (well, thats what they do on TV.)

So Org. can look past burglary, but kick him off for smokin pot? I went to college and I somked pot with the best of med students and  M.D. residents. Its college..... We all grew up and are professionals now.

The NCAA using the "spirit of the rule" crap is BS.

My question is : Is it the rule or is it not the rule?

( what section of the handbook is the "spirit rule" in?)

When is the "spirit rule" gonna come after us?

When does one of our WRs catch the ball dont look back and sky-dives into the end-zone (Thinking someone is on his ankles but is not.) and we end up at the 3 yr line instead of a TD? Oh and isnt it 15 yrds too, so 18 yrd line.

Becouse he was "showboating"? Will we blame the "spirit" ?

What happens when Bama's WR does the same thing and the "spirit" says its O.K.?

The rules are susposed to be objective rules, not subjective. If Saban wanted this kid he would be playing.

Give me a break. My heart bleeds for Ole Miss. Ole Nutt just trying to win games. He deserves what he gets. Here's hoping Ole Miss wins 3 games. As you can tell I'm not a H. Nutt fan.   

Breaking rules and laws are just what it states. The fact that none, some, or all do it isn't a good case for allowing it. Now, if an individual takes it upon themselves to break said rules and or laws then they should be held accountable. If

any of us speed while driving and a cop catches us then we'll have to pay the ticket. If the cop gives us a warning then we thank him, drive off, and speed when we're out of his sight. So nobody is any better in that regard.

In his specific case, he is simply trying to skirt responsibility for violating team rules repeatedly. While it's great that he has his degree, playing football is a privilege not a right. Nobody owes him the right to play football. I feel the NCAA is setting a precedent in this case to avoid future issues. Anyone who supervises people understands this all too well. Sometimes it's not just about the individual involved but the greater good.

Mr. Masoli, someone at the door for you named Karma.

You never fail me TT!  Yes, Masoli deserves to be denied the waiver. The "rule" he used to get into OM was not at all intended for a situation like this. The NCAA got this one right.

Spirit of the rules means that particular rule was made for players who have done things the right way at one school on and off the field. They have gotten their degree but still has eligibility left. They can leave school A and transfer to school B. School B must offer a graduate program that school A doesn't offer. A player can transfer in search of playing time under those conditions. He is violating the spirit of the rules because the only reason he's doing this is because he's suspended for the year by Oregon. Had he stayed out of trouble he would be playing this year. It has nothing to do with depth chart issues, which is what players use the rule for. Why reward a guy for not doing things the right way? Does that make any sense?

^bingo

Jeremy Schad just reported on espn that he believes the NCAA looks at his transfer as a way to get around the spirit of the waiver transfer rules. That rule is for players who have done things the right way which JM hasn't. He's doing this to get around a suspension. They don't want this to start a trend of players leaving one FBS school for another to get around the former schools suspension. Ole Miss has filed an appeal which is scheduled to be heard on Sept. 10. Schad doesn't expect the decision to be overturned.

Cant blame the NCAA. He has been given more than a second chance. The NCAA has a point and at the end of the day, Masoli only has himself to blame.

I sorta feel bad for the kid. I bet your butt he would have been a clean cut guy this year. It was his last, "last chance" and he knew it. He is just too young to lose his last shot at some thing he has worked for since park ball.

Geesh, he is a college grad! He got kicked off the team for smokin pot? In Oregon? (everybody smokes pot in Oregon) (well, thats what they do on TV.)

So Org. can look past burglary, but kick him off for smokin pot? I went to college and I somked pot with the best of med students and  M.D. residents. Its college..... We all grew up and are professionals now.

When does one of our WRs catch the ball dont look back and sky-dives into the end-zone (Thinking someone is on his ankles but is not.) and we end up at the 3 yr line instead of a TD? Oh and isnt it 15 yrds too, so 18 yrd line.

The rules are susposed to be objective rules, not subjective. If Saban wanted this kid he would be playing.

This.

Rarely will rules or laws cover all situations which is why a governing body (NCAA) has to interpret or give a ruling.  The NCAA didn't make the ruling based on a kid smoking pot it was based on the reason for transfer.  I think they got it right.  I also think Nutt who has a history of pushing the envelope was also a consideration in the NCAA decision.

I don't think they said he couldn't play for ole miss but that he would have to sit a year.  Is that correct?  If so then sit a year....lots of kids do it. 

Wow, that's a big blow to Ole Miss' season. He was gonna give them some hope

I think itll help him in the long run... he didnt deserve to play and now he has to prove he can go a whole off season without being an idiot.

...and back to last in the west expectations for Ole Miss.  I'm actually pretty surprised.  To my understanding, the transfer follows all the rules.  He got his undergrad degree from Oregon, he got on the team as a walk-on at Mississippi, and he enrolled in a grad program not offered at Oregon.  Call it a loophole all you want, they followed the rules.  They still have a chance at appeal, but it'll be a good chunk of the season before they could finally get him through.

In order to be ble to transfer under this rule, you have to be eligible to play this year at the school you are leaving. Since Masoli will not be eligible to play due to suspension, the NCAA says he must sit a year. As he has never taken a redshirt, he can sit and play next year. Ole Miss says the rule only applies to being eligible to attend school at the previous institution which is could do. There was also some vague reference to the time line of transfering and being suspended that made little sense. This may not be over yet though it is a long shot for the (former) Rebs.

Most student athletes who smoked pot weren`t already on probation for theft. He knew he was on a short leash. Sometimes you have to use your head for something other than a helmet rack.

what exactly is the "spirit of the rules"

That would be what the other coach in this state is always doing -- going against the "spirit of the rules" without actually breaking them.  That's why he has recruiting rules named after him, because he's always trying to get around the rules by using the gray areas.

Archived