What's keeping Auburn's Defense from being Elite?

ReidMcLain

This is simply my opinion, but here it goes.

I think that the major problem with Auburn's defense in 2013 was multiple. I think the biggest factor was facing Murray, Manzel, McCarron, Mettenberger, Wallace, Prescott, Halliday and Winston. I can't think of another defense that faced the quarterback quality level Auburn did over the 2013 season.

The second biggest factor appeared to be a simple unfamiliarity with the scheme early in the season that slowly improved although largely offset by quality of competition late in the season.

The third was a simple lack of quality depth in the defensive secondary, especially late in the season.

I do not think we should assume that Auburn in September of 2013 would have fared well against the likes of Georgia, Alabama and FSU. I believe the results of the LSU game would have been the rule rather than the exception had the 2013 Tigers not worked so hard at creating their exponential improvement scale from the second half of that game forward.

I think the Auburn defense will begin 2014 with much more confidence and well versed in the defensive scheme. I think this will make much more of a difference than most seem to think. I believe Auburn will have one of the top five defenses in the SEC during 2014. I also believe Auburn will have the most productive offense in the SEC during 2014. Special teams is a very key part of the coming season, and could be solid or a weakness that hurts the team. I do not think overall defensive performance is that much of a concern for the coming season.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I believe Rodney Garner or Tracy Rocker could do a better job as our DC.

Yes, they have had great success as DCs in their careers.

But fsu played and beat us....our secondary has been horrible for a very long time. We at one point bought into we didn't have talent to play man to man.......nuff said

Our defensive problems start and end here, And the pass is just becoming more, not less, important in college ball too

I believe Rodney Garner or Tracy Rocker could do a better job as our DC.

Yes, they have had great success as DCs in their careers.

Hahahahahahha

Believe it or not but I think one of the biggest impact players on defense will be Reed at corner. He was covering receivers like a glove in the A Day game and he had that corner swag to him. I was impressed and I actually think he is going to start. Holsey and Reed as the starting corners, with Jones and Mincy rotating in, is solid. Moncrief is going to be an impact player at safety too.

we definitely cannot afford injuries on defense mane,schedule won't allow it

Believe it or not but I think one of the biggest impact players on defense will be Reese at corner. He was covering receivers like a glove in the A Day game and he had that corner swag to him. I was impressed and I actually think he is going to start. Holsey and Reese as the starting corners with Jones and Mincy rotating in is solid. Moncrief is going to be an impact player at safety too.

best believe moncrief will be having wr's scared to catch a pass near him cuz he'll just bout knock their block off! think mincy is too good to not start though,after this whole shannanigan is over with he'll be back to being the ball-hawking cb he's been

This is simply my opinion, but here it goes.

I think that the major problem with Auburn's defense in 2013 was multiple. I think the biggest factor was facing Murray, Manzel, McCarron, Mettenberger, Wallace, Prescott, Halliday and Winston. I can't think of another defense that faced the quarterback quality level Auburn did over the 2013 season.

The second biggest factor appeared to be a simple unfamiliarity with the scheme early in the season that slowly improved although largely offset by quality of competition late in the season.

The third was a simple lack of quality depth in the defensive secondary, especially late in the season.

I do not think we should assume that Auburn in September of 2013 would have fared well against the likes of Georgia, Alabama and FSU. I believe the results of the LSU game would have been the rule rather than the exception had the 2013 Tigers not worked so hard at creating their exponential improvement scale from the second half of that game forward.

I think the Auburn defense will begin 2014 with much more confidence and well versed in the defensive scheme. I think this will make much more of a difference than most seem to think. I believe Auburn will have one of the top five defenses in the SEC during 2014. I also believe Auburn will have the most productive offense in the SEC during 2014. Special teams is a very key part of the coming season, and could be solid or a weakness that hurts the team. I do not think overall defensive performance is that much of a concern for the coming season.

This^^^

Believe it or not but I think one of the biggest impact players on defense will be Reese at corner. He was covering receivers like a glove in the A Day game and he had that corner swag to him. I was impressed and I actually think he is going to start. Holsey and Reese as the starting corners with Jones and Mincy rotating in is solid. Moncrief is going to be an impact player at safety too.

^^^You 're talking about Reed right?

Nah, IM has inside info that they've moved Dismukes from center to corner.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Hey, that was top secret information. I think that's where that came from too, lol. I had just watched a video of Reese's SEC media days. I fixed my post. :laugh:

Hey, that was top secret information. I think that's where that came from too, lol. I had just watched a video of Reese's SEC media days. I fixed my post. :laugh:

I'd be thrilled if Trovon could earn a starting role at corner, seriously.

Count me as one of the crowd expecting much improvement from the D this season!

I believe trovon will start at corner. He's a better corner than slot receiver, IMO.

If people go back and look at the ADay game they can see he covers like a glove. He is a natural and probably should have been there all along.

I believe trovon will start at corner. He's a better corner than slot receiver, IMO.

If people go back and look at the ADay game they can see he covers like a glove. He is a natural and probably should have been there all along.

Agreed 110%. In the army all America game, he shut down every receiver he went up against. Glad we finally have coaches who knows what to do with the talent on the team now. I just hope it's not too late for trovon to get noticed by scouts. But, if he balls like we expect him to, they will take notice.

There was a lot of talk (of which I know you are aware, IM) when he first arrived on campus about that very thing. His body style and athleticism really fit better at corner, especially at the next level. I don't know that he'll start, but I absolutely buy him being an invaluable part of the rotation at corner.

There was a lot of talk (of which I know you are aware, IM) when he first arrived on campus about that very thing. His body style and athleticism really fit better at corner, especially at the next level. I don't know that he'll start, but I absolutely buy him being an invaluable part of the rotation at corner.

McCalebb is in camp with the Bengals at CB again this year :thumbsup:

EDIT: In case anybody's scratching their head as to the relevance of my comment, just an example of a guy making a position change very late in the game and succeeding. Will he have a long career as a CB in the NFL? Who knows, he might be gone before the season starts. But coming back for a 2nd season after making the practice squad is far more success than most college players achieve at the pro level.

He will start, count on it

Archived