(Updated 11/18/16) 3* Juco Dual QB D.J. Gillins (SMU)

Guest EagleDamnWar

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

What do you think? 

This year?  No.  Perhaps next season?  I could see it.  I obviously haven't observed him in practice, but I understand he's handled what they've thrown at him (and it was a lot, so they could see how much he could handle) pretty well.  But he did get a late start.  Give him another offseason, spring practice, summer drills, fall practice and I don't see why he couldn't be a solid backup next year.

25 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

He is. 2nd best head coach recruiter in the SEC. 

I've sat in on one of his home visits and he is smooth. 

2 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

This year?  No.  Perhaps next season?  I could see it.  I obviously haven't observed him in practice, but I understand he's handled what they've thrown at him (and it was a lot, so they could see how much he could handle) pretty well.  But he did get a late start.  Give him another offseason, spring practice, summer drills, fall practice and I don't see why he couldn't be a solid backup next year.

I think Barrett will start next year myself. 

Just now, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Wouldn't shock me either.  But I think (if indeed we don't sign Stidham), that he's at least the clear 2nd stringer.

58 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Ii don't know what Cole means by his statement but if we don't sign a trueQB in this class then posters will get pissy. To me it says nothing about Woody's future potential.

Agree, but guess we've learned this season that having 3 or 4 back-ups QB is not an assurance of anything if the back-ups are not reasonably capable of running the full offense in a serious game. 

Interesting to me that Queen played a bit last week and almost no comments on him.  Does that mean he is close to 100% healthy?....and if so, is he up to playing SEC caliber football?  And should he be considered as a reasonable back-up for next season?

Just seems to me that the challenge is finding a solid #1 who can make it through the year and not so much about back-ups?  

6 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Agree, but guess we've learned this season that having 3 or 4 back-ups QB is not an assurance of anything if the back-ups are not reasonably capable of running the full offense in a serious game. 

Interesting to me that Queen played a bit last week and almost no comments on him.  Does that mean he is close to 100% healthy?....and if so, is he up to playing SEC caliber football?  And should he be considered as a reasonable back-up for next season?

Just seems to me that the challenge is finding a solid #1 who can make it through the year and not so much about back-ups?  

Think Queens arm is going to limit his ability to play at a high level at football. 

9 minutes ago, AU64 said:

I think Auburn fans have learned this, I just hope Gus and Rhett has learned this as well.  Of corse, they should have known this all along. 

1 hour ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Do you think White's arm/shoulder will ever fully recover?  Definitely can't rely on him to make it through a full season again.  His mind is tougher than his body.

2 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Think Queens arm is going to limit his ability to play at a high level at football. 

That is disheartening....we have SW with arm problems that may or may not heal, JF3 who has the arm strength but despite 2 years +, has not become a reliable passer....and of course JJ will graduate.

I'm good with the possibility of WB being the starter though we don't seem to know anything about his passing skills. 

Man....I still think we must find a JUCO who has demonstrated the ability to successfully lead an offense.  

1 hour ago, AUDevil said:

Do you think White's arm/shoulder will ever fully recover?  Definitely can't rely on him to make it through a full season again.  His mind is tougher than his body.

For Woody to start I am looking for a few things. How he reacts in the pocket and makes things happen when things break down is very important to me. JJ has the best arm on the team in terms of being able to make every single throw, but when things break down he has struggled to improvise. If Woody can feel pressure well and get out of the pocket while keeping his eyes downfield and/or convert 3rd and 5s on the ground when someone doesn't hold their block long enough (on a pass play) I think he should start. Unfortunately that usually takes a while for a player to get adjusted to game speed and obtaining good pocket presence. I also think we are in the unfortunate situation of our offensive staff having no idea how to tell if one player is better than another, so who knows how it will shake out.

Basically we need someone who can bail the coaches out a lot of our playcalls

There's nothing about Sean's injury, at this point, that indicates it should be a problem in spring, much less beyond. If Barrett is good enough to beat Sean out, we're solid at QB next year. Sean is a legit, SEC-caliber QB. We can win the SEC with Sean White under center. If Barrett is better, we have a legit backup along with a guy the coaches think gives us a better chance to win.

I expect Sean to start next year with Woody behind him. The third QB battle will boil down to Queen and possibly a JUCO signee. I don't think John will be a factor in that race, but I do expect him to continue getting touches.

19 minutes ago, mcgufcm said:

There's nothing about Sean's injury, at this point, that indicates it should be a problem in spring, much less beyond. If Barrett is good enough to beat Sean out, we're solid at QB next year. Sean is a legit, SEC-caliber QB. We can win the SEC with Sean White under center. If Barrett is better, we have a legit backup along with a guy the coaches think gives us a better chance to win.

I expect Sean to start next year with Woody behind him. The third QB battle will boil down to Queen and possibly a JUCO signee. I don't think John will be a factor in that race, but I do expect him to continue getting touches.

Yep. Without his injury we would have beaten uga and would be playing Bama for SEC West champion. I will take a QB who can give us that opportunity any day of the week 

5 minutes ago, thaitopher said:

Yep. Without his injury we would have beaten uga and would be playing Bama for SEC West champion. I will take a QB who can give us that opportunity any day of the week 

And still could have if Gus didn't go all Clemson by changing everything the players practiced that week just before the game.

2 hours ago, Tiger said:

JJ has the best arm on the team in terms of being able to make every single throw

Based on the videos I've seen, Woody could easily give Jeremy a run for his money with his arm. How consistent he is, I don't know, but the boy can hurl. 

1 hour ago, lionheartkc said:

Based on the videos I've seen, Woody could easily give Jeremy a run for his money with his arm. How consistent he is, I don't know, but the boy can hurl. 

Well you can't teach arm strength so that's definitely good to hear

5 hours ago, ellitor said:

And still could have if Gus didn't go all Clemson by changing everything the players practiced that week just before the game.

What?!

13 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

What do you think? 

I think Barrett can at least provide acceptable backup, but then I'm not the one that claimed there would be a big mess if we don't sign another QB. That was Cole's idea and that's why I asked Cole the question.

8 hours ago, ellitor said:

Yup. It's his version of Britney Spears old song "Oops! I Did It Again."

If what he changed were the scripted plays we used to score a TD, then good job...the rest of the game plan stunk.

10 hours ago, Mikey said:

I think Barrett can at least provide acceptable backup, but then I'm not the one that claimed there would be a big mess if we don't sign another QB. That was Cole's idea and that's why I asked Cole the question.

If AU does not sign a true QB this year I agree with Cole. Can't keep getting projects at the QB position. 

54 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

If AU does not sign a true QB this year I agree with Cole. Can't keep getting projects at the QB position

This is the 1 thing the entire fan base should be able to agree on.

We might be in trouble down the road. I don't think we have a huge issue next year, or even the year after, assuming normal development (or I guess, as McLoofus would call it "maturing despite a lack of coaching") for White and Barrett. Not many (any?) teams have a legit backup at third string.

Archived