2015 5* DT Trent Thompson (Georgia signee)

EagleDamnWar

My reasons for optimism:

• Rocker won't be in Athens long IYAM. Will he bolt after 1 year? Maybe, maybe not, but it won't be long.
  • A bad year results in dismissals
  • A great year results in Pruitt (or another coach) getting HC job or promotion at different school
  • We have a great year, DL shows out and guys get drafted

Any one of those could do it. If more than one of them happen even better!

But don't let me sway anyone. IMO, he is going to commit to UGA before long. But I believe he winds up a AU.

Wow! Bold prediction, Dixie! I like it!

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 563
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So i hear he moved up his date and is committing august 12th...... is this good for us???

Nope. The later, the better for us. He's all UGA. Been all UGA from the getgo.

I'd assume we'd probably still pursue him but this would definitely put a damper on the staff's mood I think.

The staff has already backed off some. Since his last visit, the staff has known where he was going.

Thompson is very talented. He will be good at UGA. UGA recruited him harder than any other recruit they were after. I would have really liked to have him in O&B. Time to move on; great get for UGA.

If UGA has a dumpster fire of a season things could change

I don't see that as likely. They have too much raw talent and the coaches, while they have seldom got their money's worth from outstanding recruiting, are stable enough to prevent a dumpster fire. 9-3 or 8-4 won't satisfy their fans but it won't get the coaching staff fired either.

we've always had a better shot at Daron Payne than any other DT we were after (out of Payne, TT and Mack). TT is a bonafide fanboy of UGA and its his dream to play there. We did a hell of a job to even get his mother's blessing to come to AU if he chose to...

The only problem was, his momma's blessing to go to AU only helps if TT wants to go to AU...and he doesn't.

I'd assume we'd probably still pursue him but this would definitely put a damper on the staff's mood I think.

Doubt it. The staff has known for a while that TT was likely to commit sooner instead of later. The staff feels this one is a marathon instead of a sprint and the feel they can get him on NSD.

The staff has already backed off some. Since his last visit, the staff has known where he was going.

Not what WDE has been told FWIW.

we've always had a better shot at Daron Payne than any other DT we were after (out of Payne, TT and Mack). TT is a bonafide fanboy of UGA and its his dream to play there. We did a hell of a job to even get his mother's blessing to come to AU if he chose to...

The only problem was, his momma's blessing to go to AU only helps if TT wants to go to AU...and he doesn't.

I was always under the impression and read that his mom was the x factor on where TT would go and not by standard that comes across in your post. What makes you feel Trent has that much control on his own where he goes?

I was always under the impression and read that his mom was the x factor on where TT would go and not by standard that comes across in your post. What makes you feel Trent has that much control on his own where he goes?

TT calls UGA home amongst other things. He loves Tracy Rocker. Bobo is also a monster recruiter in the 229 area. All the coaches love Bobo in this area. UGA would need a complete overhaul, as I have said before. Richt would have to leave/retire, as I don't see him getting fired. Rocker may go back to the NFL but I doubt it. Bobo is a UGA lock. He ain't leaving UGA for anything. He's Richt's best friend. So the 3 guys that we need to leave, aren't likely to leave.

TT calls UGA home amongst other things. He loves Tracy Rocker. Bobo is also a monster recruiter in the 229 area. All the coaches love Bobo in this area. UGA would need a complete overhaul, as I have said before. Richt would have to leave/retire, as I don't see him getting fired. Rocker may go back to the NFL but I doubt it. Bobo is a UGA lock. He ain't leaving UGA for anything. He's Richt's best friend. So the 3 guys that we need to leave, aren't likely to leave.

Rocker has a nice D line class forming with Trent, Natrez Patrick, and another 4* defensive end. For someone that hates to recruit, he certainly does it well.

Rocker has a nice D line class forming with Trent, Natrez Patrick, and another 4* defensive end. For someone that hates to recruit, he certainly does it well.

TT, Natrez, and their other 4* DE are all in state kids with two being in the ATL area. It's not as hard to do at UGA in the state of GA as it is at AU in the state of AL. Yes, Georgia has plenty of poachers that raid the state, us included, but the kids mostly want to play for UGA.

With all due respect my question was about his mom's influence. Your post did not answer that and just restates what those of us who have followed TTs recruitment closely already knew.

TT's mom wants this to be TT's decision and for him to be happy. She wants him to be close enough that she can visit and watch his games whenever she wants to. Hence, why she gave the blessing for AU.

TT's mom wants this to be TT's decision and for him to be happy. She wants him to be close enough that she can visit and watch his games whenever she wants to. Hence, why she gave the blessing for AU.

Cool and thanks!

Cool and thanks!

Just providing info that I can! You're the main info guy on this board.

Cool and thanks!

Just providing info that I can! You're the main info guy on this board.

suck up :-\

Big UGA fan. It would be the same as one of us being recruited to play at UGA. That would be a tough sell, I assure you.

I do still believe that if UGA underwhelms this year (don't have to have a vivid imagination for that), and they have Staff turnover (i.e. Rocker/Pruitt or for sure if Richt left), that we would then be "in play".

(Then of course we have Garner and Craig. You never know... :popcorn:)

Archived