2015 3* QB Lamar Jackson (Louisville signee)

RunInRed

Auburn screwed the pooch on this kid. I posted this in the post game thread that Lamar was waiting on Auburn to offer a committablle offer but I guess we only wanted Queen.

Um, one game where a team didn't really prepare for that kind of QB or offense (that wasn't Petrino's offense, it was sandlot ball), where he went 9 for 20 passing and most of his rushing yardage was scrambling after the coverage was too good downfield.

Don't get me wrong - the kid is a hell of an athlete. Cat quick and a burner. But he can't run but maybe 30-40% of the offense, if that. Teams that have decent defenses/coordinators and time to game plan for him may bring him (and everyone else) back down to earth.

Anyone remember A&M's Kenny Hill lighting up #9 South Carolina in the opener last season? Threw for over 500 yds and was trademarking nicknames and thrust into the Heisman race. Then it turned out that South Carolina was VASTLY overrated and their defense was terrible. Fired their DC after the season. Then...

In the following three games against ranked Mississippi State, Ole Miss, and Alabama, Hill averaged 301.3 yards per game for six touchdowns and six interceptions. He was sacked 11 times. He completed only one pass of 30 or more yards in these three games. Due to these struggles on the field, notably against better competition where the Aggies lost three straight games, Hill was replaced mid-season by true freshman Kyle Allen.

Let's pump the brakes on Auburn screwing the pooch with Lamar Jackson. Could turn out to be a huge miss, but we hardly know that right now.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Auburn screwed the pooch on this kid. I posted this in the post game thread that Lamar was waiting on Auburn to offer a committablle offer but I guess we only wanted Queen.

Um, one game where a team didn't really prepare for that kind of QB or offense (that wasn't Petrino's offense, it was sandlot ball), where he went 9 for 20 passing and most of his rushing yardage was scrambling after the coverage was too good downfield.

Don't get me wrong - the kid is a hell of an athlete. Cat quick and a burner. But he can't run but maybe 30-40% of the offense, if that. Teams that have decent defenses/coordinators and time to game plan for him may bring him (and everyone else) back down to earth.

Anyone remember A&M's Kenny Hill lighting up #9 South Carolina in the opener last season? Threw for over 500 yds and was trademarking nicknames and thrust into the Heisman race. Then it turned out that South Carolina was VASTLY overrated and their defense was terrible. Fired their DC after the season. Then...

In the following three games against ranked Mississippi State, Ole Miss, and Alabama, Hill averaged 301.3 yards per game for six touchdowns and six interceptions. He was sacked 11 times. He completed only one pass of 30 or more yards in these three games. Due to these struggles on the field, notably against better competition where the Aggies lost three straight games, Hill was replaced mid-season by true freshman Kyle Allen.

Let's pump the brakes on Auburn screwing the pooch with Lamar Jackson. Could turn out to be a huge miss, but we hardly know that right now.

He seemed to be more accurate and have more speed than Marshall and Marshall did a lot for us. Plus, judging by his tweet last year, he really wanted an Auburn offer. I am biased toward DT qbs but I still think he would have been very effective in a Malzahn offense.

As far as the Kenny Hill point, I do not think that this game will be an anomaly for Lamar. And, in a way, you may be implying that our defense is overrated. lol

He seemed to be more accurate and have more speed than Marshall and Marshall did a lot for us.

45% completion rate (9 for 20) says otherwise on the accuracy. He does seem faster than Marshall and about as quick.

Plus, judging by his tweet last year, he really wanted an Auburn offer. I am biased toward DT qbs but I still think he would have been very effective in a Malzahn offense.

I'm sure he did. Most kids given a choice between Auburn and Louisville, with no extenuating circumstances such as a big difference in immediate playing time, would rather go to Auburn and play.

And he might have been very effective here. I'm not saying he wouldn't, just that we don't know. He may have ended up playing WR like Jason Smith is.

As far as the Kenny Hill point, I do not think that this game will be an anomaly for Lamar. And, in a way, you may be implying that our defense is overrated. lol

It might not be. It's just too soon to say.

I think our defense might have done a better job had they been preparing for a guy like him all along. Don't discount that there was no film to speak of for this kid and that offense they ran with him in there was not Petrino's offense we've seen for year. That was sandlot ball.

He seemed to be more accurate and have more speed than Marshall and Marshall did a lot for us.

45% completion rate (9 for 20) says otherwise on the accuracy. He does seem faster than Marshall and about as quick.

Plus, judging by his tweet last year, he really wanted an Auburn offer. I am biased toward DT qbs but I still think he would have been very effective in a Malzahn offense.

I'm sure he did. Most kids given a choice between Auburn and Louisville, with no extenuating circumstances such as a big difference in immediate playing time, would rather go to Auburn and play.

And he might have been very effective here. I'm not saying he wouldn't, just that we don't know. He may have ended up playing WR like Jason Smith is.

It might not be. It's just too soon to say.

I think our defense might have done a better job had they been preparing for a guy like him all along. Don't discount that there was no film to speak of for this kid and that offense they ran with him in there was not Petrino's offense we've seen for year. That was sandlot ball.

Gus could've utilized that talent though regardless if some bushleague ball came out of his talents. His ineffective RB's actually started picking up a lot of yards after Lamar started picking up yards. I guess we will see how good he does throughout his career but I liked what I saw. We need to remember that he is only a true frosh and that he will soon be able to learn formations and the playbook and not just rely on sandlot ball.

As far as the Kenny Hill point, I do not think that this game will be an anomaly for Lamar.

Neither does Boom FWIW. He said last night on the post game show that Lamar is special and was glad we played him in game 1 as opposed to game 5 or 6.

As far as the Kenny Hill point, I do not think that this game will be an anomaly for Lamar.

Neither does Boom FWIW. He said last night on the post game show that Lamar is special and was glad we played him in game 1 as opposed to game 5 or 6.

Gus said he'll be a hand full too.

• 11 months later...
5 hours ago, AU80cruiser said:

Had an outstanding night against Charlotte. 286 pass yards, 6 TDS, 119 rush yards, 2 rush TDs in first half of play.

Louisville is my dark horse playoff appearance pick.

3 hours ago, ClaytonAU said:

Lol at the miss by the staff on this guy...

Yup. If his WRs can catch the ball he will be a heisman contender & they will give FSU & Clemson fits.

Archived