2017 5* QB Tate Martell (Aggie decommit 5/3/16)

ellitor

I think they are referring to the fact that their program under Sumlin's watch has been actively dying for all of us to see.

Yep.

I personally like Sumlin. he's just suffering from what CGM is suffering from. Over achieving on your first year and the fans expecting too much.

Maybe living there has put blinders on you, but over achieving and fans expecting too much doesn't cause your team to hemorrhage top players or get articles written about how your miss-management of diva players has caused serious damage to the foundation of your program. You also have to question the type of coach he is when he has players like Seals-Jones, who get off on trying to hurt defenseless players, and he does nothing about it.

I honestly don't understand, with the reputation A&M has for being a disciplined, classy program, that they put up with some of the low class things that have gone on under his watch.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Always tough to tell, but he looks smaller than Sean White to me.

And his playing style is a lot like Sean. I'm sure hoping they let Sean cut loose this spring and toss the rock around.

A lot like Sean White? In what way? SW is a pocket passer, this guy is a true dual threat QB. The only similarities between the two is their skin pigment and they are both under six feet.

So, do those that think Sean White is too small want us to stay away from this guy? They are the same size, for all practical purposes. In fact, by the time September gets here White may be bigger.

You are comparing a JR in high school to an RS freshman in college. This guy seems to be much more of an athletic build than SW.

So, do those that think Sean White is too small want us to stay away from this guy? They are the same size, for all practical purposes. In fact, by the time September gets here White may be bigger.

You are comparing a JR in high school to an RS freshman in college. This guy seems to be much more of an athletic build than SW.

Why yes, yes I am. I'm interested in what excuse all the critics claiming that Sean White is too small to play QB in the SEC will come up with to say this guy, the same size and build, is acceptable. More athletic? Has this kid won the Elite 11 QB competition like White did? Can a non-athlete win that thing?

I hope we can sign Martell. After a year of redshirting and a year of being White's understudy he should be ready to help us.

Why yes, yes I am. I'm interested in what excuse all the critics claiming that Sean White is too small to play QB in the SEC will come up with to say this guy, the same size and build, is acceptable. More athletic? Has this kid won the Elite 11 QB competition like White did? Can a non-athlete win that thing?

I hope we can sign Martell. After a year of redshirting and a year of being White's understudy he should be ready to help us.

He is in HIGHSCHOOL (not even a senior, yet) and weighs more than a sophomore in college. Secondly, let's try some reading comprehension. I said it looks like he has much more of an athletic build than SW. He looks decently stocky for his size and has the frame to put on more muscle once he gets some collegiate weight training ALAS Russel Wison. Sean White is built like freaking Ty Detmer without the escapability. He weighs 200 pounds, soaking wet. I said nothing about SW ability to play the QB position. Try to be a little less bias next time. Johnny was 6'0 even but guess what? He could escape when a 270-pound defensive end was coming his way, heeding his ability to stay relatively injury free. He wasn't just a sitting duck. I have no problem with SW, but it is an apple to oranges comparison.

I'd love to see him sign, dude is a beast. However we have pretty much zero inroads into California. But hey, one can hope

Good thing he's in Nevada :). I know, we have nothing there, either.

Lmao, yes a guy that's not athletic can win the elite 11 qb competition....that was a horrible comparison

If this guy messes up our chances with gatewood I say pass

Gatewood is a must, I agree. I'm with golf, though -- we need to turn it around this year or we won't have to worry about it.

Can a non-athlete win that thing?

Very easily. The Elite 11 does not factor in athletic ability much at all. It's pretty much a passing competition.

Very easily. The Elite 11 does not factor in athletic ability much at all. It's pretty much a passing competition.

To win a national passing competition requires a LOT of athletic ability. I was poking fun at some of my fellow posters with that remark. Sorry, I thought that was obvious.

Peyton could walk in and probably win it now, he's really not that athletic.....throwing a ball is similar to shooting a jump shot, skill is involved but you don't have to be an uber athlete to do it......

Peyton could walk in and probably when it now, he's really not that athletic.....throwing a ball is similar to shooting a jump shot, skill is involved but you don't have to be an uber athlete to do it......

I agree Cole, however in the SEC you must be able to make certain throws (in order to keep defenses honest), and a lot of athletic QBs just can't do that consistently.

Peyton could walk in and probably win it now, he's really not that athletic.....throwing a ball is similar to shooting a jump shot, skill is involved but you don't have to be an uber athlete to do it......

And then he'd tell us how much Budweiser he was gonna drink.

To win a national passing competition requires a LOT of athletic ability. I was poking fun at some of my fellow posters with that remark. Sorry, I thought that was obvious.

52221915.jpg

To win a national passing competition requires a LOT of athletic ability.

No it doesn't. In the Elite 11 competition there is only 1 event where athletic ability has a role, & it's not even a major role at that. The Elite 11 is all about 1. Accuracy & ball placement & 2. arm strength. Neither one of those requires much athletic ability.

if accuracy isn't an athletic ability, then there are literally millions of qbs out there, which makes it that much more difficult to stomach the qb play from AU the past couple of years. :-(

E, I normally agree with most of your posts, but I have to disagree with this one. I would have to say that arm accuracy is def an athletic trait. It is a skill that can be taught and trained, but the Elite11 Athlete usually has this as a natural athletic ability. Arm strength is another major athletic ability that can be increased, but in most cases it is natural too. You don't have to be fast and jump high to be considered an athlete. They are def part of the criteria as well, but not the end all be all traits needed.

Tate is an all around athlete.

if accuracy isn't an athletic ability, then there are literally millions of qbs out there, which makes it that much more difficult to stomach the qb play from AU the past couple of years. :-(

I guess that's true...QBs aren't athletes....just like everyone knows that race car drivers and golfers aren't athletes either....nobody cares about their bench presses total or 40 times or standing broad jump distances .....has nothing to do with their success.

Archived