Let's talk about Sean

bigbird

Did he miss some throws, yes. However I haven't seen a AU QB stand in the pocket and take hits in a long time. Cam didn't, Nick didn't(neither were asked to). The last I can think of was Cox or maybe Nix.  I have always been a SW fan and I'm unapologetic to that.  He is tough as nails, delivers a good ball, and commands the offense. 

He is growing up in front of us and had one heck of a game. Even though the team struggled a lot of the game, the struggle can not be attributed to Sean. He played really well.

• Replies 779
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sean played a heck of a game and if it weren't for a couple drops and a few odd goal line play calls, it wouldn't have had to come down to that ending. He still messes up some sure, but he appears to be our best option period. 

2 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Did he miss some throws, yes. However I haven't seen a AU QB stand in the pocket and take hits in a long time. Cam didn't, Nick didn't(neither were asked to). The last I can think of was Cox or maybe Nix.  I have always been a SW fan and I'm unapologetic to that.  He is tough as nails, delivers a good ball, and commands the offense. 

He is growing up in front of us and had one heck of a game. Even though the team struggled a lot of the game, the struggle can not be attributed to Sean. He played really well.

Cox for sure stood in the pocket and took some nasty hits.

I really like Sean too and would like for him to be very successful at Auburn, both on and off the field. 

He played a good game. Don't understand the other qb's didn't stand in a pocket and take hits though. Well I do understand I don't agree. But once again that was a pretty good game tonight

I think as a fanbase, we may be a little too harsh on our QBs post-Cam. Nick Marshall was a natural and played great for us, yet few appreciated him until he was gone.

I think down the road we're going to realize just how good Sean White really was. He's a pro-style QB. He audibles before the snap and makes good decisions with the ball. He has an excellent feel for the game.

He didn't miss many throws. 73 percent completion rate on 19 of 26 passing with at least two (and maybe more) drops. After that, I agree with you on pretty much all of it. If AU's OL can just protect him and give him time to throw (and the receivers hang on to throws that hit 'em in the hands), Sean can be a great college QB. Personally, I think that he is the starter at AU for three full seasons and once pass blocking is better and these young receivers grow up all the yakking about how "the Malzahn offense" requires a dual-threat QB will fade away.

SW played a good game.

That being said, he is oblivious in the pocket sometimes which is worrisome... can see him taking some harder hits or losing the ball due to pocket awareness. People who remember Cox clearly will remember how gun shy he eventually became after so many of those hits.

But he did make some nice throws, can't complain about that at all... :) I'm starting to actually look forward to plays where it's a straight drop back pass play.

Missed on a couple of big opportunities and his WRs bailed him on a couple of throws. That said, he did enough to win and didn't lose it. The fumble wasn't on him and my heart isn't in my throat when I know he's going to throw.

2 minutes ago, Mims44 said:

SW played a good game.

That being said, he is oblivious in the pocket sometimes which is worrisome... 

Really? Seems to me he has really good pocket awareness and escapability. The issue is that too often there is no time. We need to get better at pass blocking.

Sean did a good job. I just wish we'd put him in better situations but he continues to fight through all of that to keep us in the game. He makes good decisions a lot of the time that in itself gives us a chance to win. 

1 hour ago, cole256 said:

He played a good game. Don't understand the other qb's didn't stand in a pocket and take hits though. Well I do understand I don't agree. But once again that was a pretty good game tonight

Well, they didn't very often. When the pocket broke down, they began to scramble and escape.  Sean stands there and trust to get as much is possible 

Like that they are giving him a longer leash.  He switched some plays at the line of scrimmage and, while they were not all successful, it is good to see him get that kind of experience.  Better play calling tonight overall.  I didn't notice anything too terribly weird.  Lol

Just now, 3rdgeneration said:

Like like they are giving him a longer leash.  He switched some plays at the line of scrimmage and, while they were not all successful, it is good to see him get that kind of experience.  Better play calling tonight overall.  I didn't notice anything too terribly weird.  Lol

For us...that's certainly a big step in the right direction.

His passes on crossing routes are some of the best I've seen.  We need to call more plays thatstress his strengths 

46 minutes ago, bigbird said:

His passes on crossing routes are some of the best I've seen.  We need to call more plays thatstress his strengths 

I'm hoping that the d line play we will see for the rest of the season has peaked after tonight (until the Alabama game). Not many offensive lines in this country are going to do a good job with Key and Garrett. Even though our o line still needs improvement, I'm imagine it'll be easier to notice in the upcoming weeks. 

I think you need to go back and watch the iron bowl from nicks senior year. That guy would stand in the pocket and deliver a strike. Sean gets killed because he holds on to the ball to long and will not pull the trigger. I hope your right but he's a cluster in the redzone.

My name is WarEagle10 and I am a Sean White fan also. 

He is plenty good enough to win a lot of SEC games. There are things he does well and things he doesn't do well. Gus/Rhett just need to figure out the best way to utilize his talents. 

4 hours ago, bigbird said:

Agree. Said the same thing quite a bit during the game. He had over 200 yards passing in a conservative game plan, where he was doing several passes in obvious passing situations. I still say (and I know I'm not alone!) we need to be more diversified on 1st down and pass more! 

If SW is the starter, then trust him and all those talented receivers and let them make plays! 

I said in the game thread: Route tree, route tree, route tree. 

Sean's report cards before this season included a very accurate arm. Whether he is getting Khiel Frazier-like shellshock and starting to hear footsteps every play or whatever, his accuracy is  obviously not a given anymore. 

As been stated by many people on here, he is not a bad QB. He won't win you many games, but he won't lose them, either. It all depends on the level of the guys around him. Now, no diss to this, but do we need to really have an SW thread after every win or loss? It is a team game. We win a game, there is going to be people talking about SW. We lose a game,there is going to be people talking about SW. I would love to go back to just enjoying AU as a fanbase. Too many SW/JF3 fans that clouds judgment. This team should be 5-2 2 and ranked going to Ole miss. 

Archived