JMR

Things I Think I Saw: Auburn vs Miss State....

Recommended Posts





WeagleAU    378
4 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

I've really enjoyed reading these this season. Thanks for continuing to post them. 

I second that.  I've also enjoyed listening to Coach's podcast on the War Eagle Sports Radio app.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
WarTim    478

Thanks for posting. Always enjoy. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
AUFAN78    452

Good summary coach. I thought a few untimely holding penalties and of course the bubba fumble stalled drives in the 2nd half. The play calling appeared the same from the stands, the execution not so much. The pace appeared to be intentionally slow in the 2nd half. My guess was an attempt to run clock. A third of the stands were cleared by half. At least half the stands cleared at start of third. No one in the stadium felt State was a threat in the 2nd half. Quite sure the coaches felt the same as did the players. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SumterAubie    349

These posts and Stat's contributions easily make up for all the other drivel posted in this forum.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1913-14    154

I concur on your OL assessment...Braden Smith sometimes destroys opponents...ask Mack from A&M...I think DJ gives us great push and if we employed that same attack vs A&M by running at their speed rush ends we would have controlled that game...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Eagle Eye 7    305

Thanks for you well thought out input. I agree 100% about fans. I myself commented at half that I hoped Gus wouldn't let of the gas the second half, but he did. As much as I hate it, from his big picture view wanted to burn the clock in the second half and save the rest for later games. I am in no position to argue the point, that is what he gets paid to do, That said, I do believe that some of the errors both on offense and defense in the second half was do to changing the game plan once we got the lead. As I mentioned before Steve Spurrier (sp) talked about this when he was a coach at UF. You run what you practice all of the time, at full speed. When you start straying, you pick up bad habits for later. Also, due to the 3 and outs by our offense we put our defense on the field more and that contributed to the mistakes by them. One thing I am liking is we are not doing the prairie dog routine, where we keep stopping and looking to the sideline . This tells me two things. First the coaches are gaining confidence in SW and his calls. And secondly this allows the team to go faster and catch the defense off guard. WDE

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JMR    503
51 minutes ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

Thanks for you well thought out input. I agree 100% about fans. I myself commented at half that I hoped Gus wouldn't let of the gas the second half, but he did. As much as I hate it, from his big picture view wanted to burn the clock in the second half and save the rest for later games. I am in no position to argue the point, that is what he gets paid to do, That said, I do believe that some of the errors both on offense and defense in the second half was do to changing the game plan once we got the lead. As I mentioned before Steve Spurrier (sp) talked about this when he was a coach at UF. You run what you practice all of the time, at full speed. When you start straying, you pick up bad habits for later. Also, due to the 3 and outs by our offense we put our defense on the field more and that contributed to the mistakes by them. One thing I am liking is we are not doing the prairie dog routine, where we keep stopping and looking to the sideline . This tells me two things. First the coaches are gaining confidence in SW and his calls. And secondly this allows the team to go faster and catch the defense off guard. WDE

Absolutely agree with your sentiments re the second half. Personally, I wanted to put 50 on Mullen just because he's Mullen. Spurrier had a thing about "50", too.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
WinForAuburn    64

I think you need to run your offense for four qtrs.  I don't know how you tell players to never quit, then allow them to quit for an entire half.  That's NOT an indictment of the players; it's a coaching philosophy and I abhor it.  I want our guys carrying the ass whipping mentality into  the second half and into the next game.

Love these posts BTW.  Very well written and insightful.

 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Michael X    29
18 hours ago, SumterAubie said:

These posts and Stat's contributions easily make up for all the other drivel posted in this forum.

Couldn't agree more. This post plus the Upon Further Review and Game Report Card posts by StatTiger are the ones I look forward to after a game.

Thanks JMR, keep the insightful posts coming.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
autigeremt    601

I believe we would have hung 45 on them had Bubba not fumbled at midfield. We were staring to put a good drive together.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
AU04ever    88
7 hours ago, WinForAuburn said:

I think you need to run your offense for four qtrs.  I don't know how you tell players to never quit, then allow them to quit for an entire half.  That's NOT an indictment of the players; it's a coaching philosophy and I abhor it.  I want our guys carrying the ass whipping mentality into  the second half and into the next game.

Love these posts BTW.  Very well written and insightful.

 

Exactly!  You dominated the first half with a young crew. They can use the reps to prepare for the upcoming games.  I just think it sends mixed signals to the guys when you change the game after they busted it and dominated the game up to that point.

Thanks JMR for the post.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
NoALtiger    560

This has become my favorite thread of the week and is very appropriately titled. Love the first glance impression and simple breakdown as it resonates with regular football fans like myself. Thank you. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ACT1ger    8
12 hours ago, WinForAuburn said:

I think you need to run your offense for four qtrs.  I don't know how you tell players to never quit, then allow them to quit for an entire half.  That's NOT an indictment of the players; it's a coaching philosophy and I abhor it.  I want our guys carrying the ass whipping mentality into  the second half and into the next game.

Love these posts BTW.  Very well written and insightful.

 

I somewhat agree; I don't reach the level of 'abhoring' the philosophy.  Put in some 2nd teamers/back ups but still run your offense.  Don't run high risk plays but run your offense. They need reps in case they suddenly become the starter.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Butthead    26

to my untrained eye, KP looked exhausted late in the 2nd half.  ~40 carries seems like a big load for a guy that size.  am I wrong here?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
McLoofus    3,574
2 minutes ago, Butthead said:

to my untrained eye, KP looked exhausted late in the 2nd half.  ~40 carries seems like a big load for a guy that size.  am I wrong here?

No. You are correct. That's a lot of carries for anybody, much less somebody his size. 

Questionable coaching decision. Maybe they factored in the bye the following week, but still, tired guys are more susceptible to injury. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
AuburnNTexas    817

I thought a very good write up. The difference in the second half and first half was partly coaching and partly player execution. While we were basically a run on 1st down team in first half we mixed in enough passes on 1st and 2nd down to keep MSU honest in second half we basically quit throwing on 1st down. Add that to a couple of holding penalties and illegal alignments the O stalled in second half. I agree we need to keep the pressure on in second half but we also need to work other players in which can lead to some of the execution issues it is a balancing act.

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
lionheartkc    4,026
1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

No. You are correct. That's a lot of carries for anybody, much less somebody his size. 

Questionable coaching decision. Maybe they factored in the bye the following week, but still, tired guys are more susceptible to injury. 

I think the announcers were right.  Had we gone down and scored on the first drive of the second half, and then stopped them again, you would have seen Franklin and Truitt/Martin for the rest of the game.

I also believe, had Miller not been hurt, he would have been spelling Pettway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
McLoofus    3,574
Just now, lionheartkc said:

I also believe, had Miller not been hurt, he would have been spelling Pettway.

Absolutely. Unfortunate for Miller. Could've been a big day for him in terms of experience, and maybe stats, too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Linayus    140

Great post - as usual. We missed a couple of deep balls (one overthrow and the other was weird turn-around by Kyle Davis) and the Pettway fumble killed the offensive momentum. Other than that, I was happy with what I saw this weekend. With the BYE week, we might just come out fast against a likely "on their heels" Arkansas after they lost to Bama and very likely to Ole Miss as well (or at least a hard fought game if they manage the win).

Keep building each week and this team will be something special by the Iron Bowl. I know several smart Bama fans that are now eyeing Auburn as a likely upset game for the Tide.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
doc4aday    470

As I sit and watch the replay of the game with MSU, I still cannot get over how much the announcers were so biased to MSU and found it hard to give us the credit where credit is due. They should not be allowed to call another Auburn or SEC game as far as I am concerned. Come guys, leave your bias in the toilet and not in the announcer booth!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now