The change at offensive coordinator is a good start but...

StatTiger

Thanks for the analysis....I think CCL is coming into an excellent situation and even one healthy QB for the entire season will make a huge difference in what the offense can do.  He is more pass oriented and that should open things up in the air and on the ground....can't wait.....

• Like 1

Thank you for the info.

Though I've never been a fan of a true Air Raid offense because the running game's an obvious afterthought and if the QB is "cold" there's no plan B and Gus' (overly) run-heavy offense obviously left the passing game as an afterthought so when the D stacked the box there's no plan B, there seems to be great potential in combining these two.

Maybe Auburn Football will be at the forefront of a new fad in offensive style......

We'll call it "The Plan B Offense".

War Eagle!

• Like 1

So it appears the TE will still not be utilized with the new OC.

Why would any prospective TE have interest in AU with the intent of being a pass catcher?

Wonder how/if the stud Juco TE will be utilized?

• Like 2

The key, as you state Stat, is if the man in charge permits it to happen.  I wonder if Gus has any input into teaching his daughters how to drive.  I'm guessing, NOT.

Edited by I_M4_AU

We have got to throw the ball more, period. I think we were headed in that direction even if Rhett stayed. But now I see it coming for sure. Between JS and SW hopefully we can have a healthy passer all year. Like stat said we can't just throw when we have to we have to throw any time. Chip said his bottom line is to get the ball to his best players. That is a good place to start. I don't know how much he uses zone reads or runs qbs? If anyone can put those numbers up I'll be greatful.

47 minutes ago, alexava said:

We have got to throw the ball more, period. I think we were headed in that direction even if Rhett stayed. But now I see it coming for sure. Between JS and SW hopefully we can have a healthy passer all year. Like stat said we can't just throw when we have to we have to throw any time. Chip said his bottom line is to get the ball to his best players. That is a good place to start. I don't know how much he uses zone reads or runs qbs? If anyone can put those numbers up I'll be greatful.

I'm not sure it is how much you throw the ball but when we throw it.     I'm guessing we could be pretty scary if we only passed 30-40 % of the time......but if we only pass primarily on 3rd down and to a lesser extent on 2nd down...and rarely on first down the offense becomes too predictable as we have been in the past couple years.    

Watching a bit of the ASU game someone posted, I note that they passed on first a number of times ...and it was not just the quick outs that we have been using....where we have mostly lost yards.  

We have some stellar RBs and I don't see it as an advantage to take them out of the playbook but every drive should not start with a handoff to KP or KJ.....JMO.   We have lots of weapons....CCL's job is to figure out how to use them.

• Like 7

17 minutes ago, AU64 said:

I'm not sure it is how much you throw the ball but when we throw it.     I'm guessing we could be pretty scary if we only passed 30-40 % of the time......but if we only pass primarily on 3rd down and to a lesser extent on 2nd down...and rarely on first down the offense becomes too predictable as we have been in the past couple years.    

Watching a bit of the ASU game someone posted, I note that they passed on first a number of times ...and it was not just the quick outs that we have been using....where we have mostly lost yards.  

We have some stellar RBs and I don't see it as an advantage to take them out of the playbook but every drive should not start with a handoff to KP or KJ.....JMO.   We have lots of weapons....CCL's job is to figure out how to use them.

You get both a "Like" and now a :cheers:.

• Like 1

I said the other day that CCL staple on offense was throwing on 1st down. Throw the freaking ball. Even throwing to the sideline is as good as a running play.

24 minutes ago, AU64 said:

I agree. I believe Stat showed even more...that Lindsey will throw more on first down, and not just bubble screens and simple flair routes by the RBs. And i think there will be more routes for the WRs that have specific intent to pick up good yardage.

If our OC does this, then we can be more balanced. It just seemed to be disheartening, to see the HUNH simply be on running plays, and THEN when he got stuffed, regardless of down, we HAD to pass. I don't mind seeing the hurry up, but allowing the QB to also throw within it.

Edited by steeleagle
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, DAG said:

I said the other day that CCL staple on offense was throwing on 1st down. Throw the freaking ball. Even throwing to the sideline is as good as a running play.

Absolutely.

I say "Death to the WR bubble-screen"!

If it ain't beyond the LoS (preferably by 5+ yds) it's hard to call it Down field Passing.

Hopefully he brings not just more passing, but overall better designed plays (not just a dive up the middle or hail mary) that have a higher probability of success and called with less predictability...

Also maybe if Gus truly steps back,

Maybe now we will have an OC that can focus only on the O and also bring ADJUSTMENTS at half time and even during the game as the Defenses adjust.

Instead of wasting the whole third quarter and playing flat, maybe now we can anticipate Defensive adjustments at the half and come out attacking the D unpredictably, instead of playing not to loose and going too conservative in the third and fourth quarters...  

I hope they use the tight end and HB's a bit more in the passing game.

The first time we go hurry up to the line after a first down and DON'T run a dive up the middle, but fake that and go play action pass... that's gonna be a big gain and an explosive play.

Edited by JGLEATON

Some good info but do not agree with discounting the Clemson game. If you are going to discount the "bad game plan" then you have to throw out the "good game plan" performance. Maybe the first half of the MSU game. 

I have seen many post on here that our staff is not good at evaluating talent. I actually think our staff evaluated our QB talent correctly last year. No matter who was in playing, we did not throw long because we couldn't so we didn't try much. We need an upgrade in talent at the position. I hope JS, WB and Gatewood are it. 

I hope CCL brings the balance needed between run and pass no matter the down. I believe tha talent at AU is superior to ASU and the improvement will be seen.

Gus has publicly declared he will turn over the offense and back off, if he fails to do that now, everyone will see that he is the problem and make the necessary adjustments at the end of the year. He will no longer have anything to hide behind, either this team floats with Gus or it sinks, only time will tell. It is up to us to be patient and give him a chance to correct his past mistakes and stand behind this team.

Great stuff as usual Stat.  I am begging for Gus to prove me wrong and actually not meddle with Lindsay and let him run the O. My initial reaction was meh, but it may the best for AU in the long run, because had we hired someone like Lincoln Riley, I am afraid that may have been a wasted hire due to my concerns about Gus not meddling.  With Lindsay, who I think is a better than Lashlee, AU is in a win win situation should he prove to be a Gus puppet.

wde

5 hours ago, StatTiger said:

Two statistical categories to watch for in 2017 is the percentage of pass plays called on first down and the percentage of pass attempts on third down. During the seven seasons of Malzahn offense at Auburn, the Tigers have passed the ball only 21 percent of the time on first down and 31 percent of their pass attempts have occurred on third down. During Chip Lindsey's three seasons as a collegiate OC, his offense has passed the ball 40 percent of the time on first down and only 25 percent of their overall passes have come on third down. Lindsey's offense passes the ball when they want to more so than when they have to. This is the exact opposite of Malzahn's offense, where the quarterback is placed into way too many obvious passing situations. During the past two seasons, over 33 percent of Auburn's pass attempts have come on third down.

@StatTiger maybe I'm misreading this and correct me if I'm wrong, but "percentage of pass plays called on a specific down" and "percent of overall passes on a certain down" are totally different types of stats.  Just curious why you use one for 1st down and the other for 3rd down.  And, do you have the percent of time we pass the ball on 2nd and 3rd downs also?  Very informative write up though.

6 hours ago, StatTiger said:

Auburn struggled inside the red zone and was extremely predictable on first down. During the past two seasons, Auburn has run the football 79% of the time inside the red zone

This has always been my challenge. We are so predictable. We have even had an opposing team defensive player say so to the press. Running up the gut every first down for the sake of "establishing the ground game" was absolutely toxic to our offensive potency. 

I thought Lashlee was able to switch this up a little with passing on first and second downs and we saw some success in this regard.

I really don't like seeing "Air Raid" associated with an coach wearing Auburn colors. The SEC is too quick and athletic to rely on a horizontal passing game, so I hope that's not what we're heading towards. We have to be able to pass, but also attack vertically. Otherwise, teams will continue to stack the line and have a field day in our backfield. 

Good write-up. It should be a telling season. 

I'm ready to see passes thrown to receivers in space instead of with 2-3 defenders draped on them. 

Great analysis as usual, thanks Stat

2 hours ago, aucom96 said:

I really don't like seeing "Air Raid" associated with an coach wearing Auburn colors. The SEC is too quick and athletic to rely on a horizontal passing game, so I hope that's not what we're heading towards. We have to be able to pass, but also attack vertically. Otherwise, teams will continue to stack the line and have a field day in our backfield. 

Good write-up. It should be a telling season. 

The only teams that have beaten bama the past few years were primarily teams great at passing the ball. AU is the only exception there in 2013...but even then they were beaten by the qb position (NM was one of the best decision makers in the zone read I've ever seen). So while "air raid" may not be good, being able to go pass heavy if needed could prove huge. 

• Like 1

We need more balance and I hope CL can bring that to the offense.I don't want a total air raid but we need to pass enough to be as good at passing as we are at running.It doesn't bother me if we are still 70% run if we can pass effectively when needed,but I'm not sure you can only pass 30% of the time and still  pass well enough to be effective, you have to have enough reps for your qb and wr to get in rhythm.Any way good luck to CL and Gus hope they can put it all together.