WarEagleSteve

Auburn's All Time Passing Game

80 posts in this topic

Guys, question marks and all, I'm super pumped about this upcoming season. I think Auburn has the chance to field something this year that I don't think we've ever really had or at least haven't had in a VERY long time: a genuinely scary passing offense. As successful as this program has been, historically we are downright awful at throwing the football. We haven't produced a 1,000 yard receiver since 1999 (Ronney Daniels) and only TWO all time. Terry Beasley is the ONLY Auburn player in the SEC top 50 for career TD catches. There are only 4 Auburn QBs in the career top 50 for TD passes and the highest any of them are on that list is 30 (It's Pat Sullivan). The single season stats aren't much better. Obviously none of this matters if the wins aren't there but I'm hopeful that this is the year we finally start to scare people throwing the ball. 

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites




I'm not sure if we'll have anyone over 1,000 yards receiving this season. If KD doesn't come back, then maybe NCM becomes a monster. Either way, we might have a few over 400, and that would be awesome. 

 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The pieces certainly see to be falling into place.  Now if we can get a little of that close game luck, we very well may have a very special season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm with ya @McLoofus for all the practical reasons but boy it sure would be nice to have someone hit the 1000 yard mark, if for nothing else, to get that monkey off of our back in an era where teams are throwing it more than ever before.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

but, but

This Is Auburn

Because

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It seems crazy to think that we might have an elite passing offense at Auburn. It has been a LONG time since we were consistently great in the passing game. As far as a pure passer - I think Todd was pretty good, as was Cox, but maybe we have to go back to Jason Campbell. Before that you would probably have to go all the way back to the Dye years (like Nix). 

Our bread and butter has always been a strong run game, and although I still think we will run the ball quite a bit, I think people will be surprised at how much we throw the ball this year if Stidham stays healthy. What would college football think if we became the "air raid" Auburn Tigers. 

 

Edited by gr82b4au

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, gr82b4au said:

It seems crazy to think that we might have an elite passing offense at Auburn. It has been a LONG time since we were consistently great in the passing game. As far as a pure passer - I think Todd was pretty good, as was Cox, but maybe we have to go back to Jason Campbell. Before that you would probably have to go all the way back to the Dye years (like Nix). 

Our bread and butter has always been a strong run game, and although I still think we will run the ball quite a bit, I think people will be surprised at how much we throw the ball this year if Stidham stays healthy. What would college football think if we became the "air raid" Auburn Tigers. 

 

Heck, try the Jordan years....

I still remember the thrill of watching Beasley breaking long while Sullivan loaded up..... and just knowing what you were about to witness.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Heck, try the Jordan years....

I still remember the thrill of watching Beasley breaking long while Sullivan loaded up..... and just knowing what you were about to witness.

I would argue that this is the ONLY time we've had a truly "elite" passing offense. Efficiency has been the name of the game at Auburn for practically the program's entire history. Les Miles had more 3,000 yard passers in his time at LSU than Auburn has in its entire history. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We are RBU. Since the 70s we've had a ton of elite RBs.  It's hard to be elite both running and passing. Historically, we've chosen to run the ball. 

Hopefully, we begin a new era of balanced elite offenses in a few months. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, gr82b4au said:

It seems crazy to think that we might have an elite passing offense at Auburn. It has been a LONG time since we were consistently great in the passing game. As far as a pure passer - I think Todd was pretty good, as was Cox, but maybe we have to go back to Jason Campbell. Before that you would probably have to go all the way back to the Dye years (like Nix). 

Our bread and butter has always been a strong run game, and although I still think we will run the ball quite a bit, I think people will be surprised at how much we throw the ball this year if Stidham stays healthy. What would college football think if we became the "air raid" Auburn Tigers. 

 

Don't forget Dameyune. I think he still holds the single season passing record, over 3K yards in '97. Statistically, I think Stidham could be more along the lines of D.C than any of the other guys you mentioned. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NoALtiger said:

Don't forget Dameyune. I think he still holds the single season passing record, over 3K yards in '97. Statistically, I think Stidham could be more along the lines of D.C than any of the other guys you mentioned. 

 

I hope Stidham is a lot better than DC. DC was dang good but so inconsistent. Stidham has a chance to be one of the best QB's to play at AU. Has a chance. 

5 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, WarEagleSteve said:

I would argue that this is the ONLY time we've had a truly "elite" passing offense. Efficiency has been the name of the game at Auburn for practically the program's entire history. Les Miles had more 3,000 yard passers in his time at LSU than Auburn has in its entire history. 

holy shizzle :eek2:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Would be nice to see 2 1000 yard rushers

1000 yard WR

3000 yard Qb

Top 10 scoring defense

All possible this season whether it's Stidham or Sean

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, WarEagleSteve said:

I would argue that this is the ONLY time we've had a truly "elite" passing offense. Efficiency has been the name of the game at Auburn for practically the program's entire history. Les Miles had more 3,000 yard passers in his time at LSU than Auburn has in its entire history. 

Ouch. 

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

Would be nice to see 2 1000 yard rushers

1000 yard WR

3000 yard Qb

Top 10 scoring defense

All possible this season whether it's Stidham or Sean

Don't think Sean can put that kind of number up. Healthy or not. 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Win4AU said:

Would be nice to see 2 1000 yard rushers

1000 yard WR

3000 yard Qb

Top 10 scoring defense

All possible this season whether it's Stidham or Sean

You made me curious. 2005 USC was 185 passing yards and 43 receiving yards for Steve Smith away from having a 4000 yard passer, two 1000 yard RBs and two 1000 yard WRs. Good lord. 

http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/southern-california/2005.html

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Don't think Sean can put that kind of number up. Healthy or not. 

Nope. To have that kind of number he would have to hit some deep balls against some good defenses. He loses accuracy after 25 yards. And that was before the injury that may have lowered the strength in his arm.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

You made me curious. 2005 USC was 185 passing yards and 43 receiving yards for Steve Smith away from having a 4000 yard passer, two 1000 yard RBs and two 1000 yard WRs. Good lord. 

http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/southern-california/2005.html

Those are playstation numbers wow

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Don't think Sean can put that kind of number up. Healthy or not. 

3000 yards is averaging 250yrds a game.  Sean did that several times in the Gus Rhett system. In a more balanced attack it could be very achievable.  You don't have to throw it 70 yards if you have good WRs and are accurate 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

You made me curious. 2005 USC was 185 passing yards and 43 receiving yards for Steve Smith away from having a 4000 yard passer, two 1000 yard RBs and two 1000 yard WRs. Good lord. 

http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/southern-california/2005.html

 

23 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Those are playstation numbers wow

and yet the team was winless (?)

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Win4AU said:

3000 yards is averaging 250yrds a game.  Sean did that several times in the Gus Rhett system. In a more balanced attack it could be very achievable.  You don't have to throw it 70 yards if you have good WRs and are accurate 

SW didn't throw for over 250 yards in a single game in 2016. Are we just making things up as we go?

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

 

I hope Stidham is a lot better than DC. DC was dang good but so inconsistent. Stidham has a chance to be one of the best QB's to play at AU. Has a chance. 

He had butterfingered receivers and no running game. I'll take D.C. At qb permanently. I don't remember him being inconsistent. The only fault I remember is him waiting too long to run. I thought he was trying to shake the stigma of black QBs (that may have been my imagination). But I recalled so many 3rd downplays he could have easily picked up but either threw incomplete or got sacked. Still one of my favorite players. Top 3 for sure.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Win4AU said:

3000 yards is averaging 250yrds a game.  Sean did that several times in the Gus Rhett system. In a more balanced attack it could be very achievable.  You don't have to throw it 70 yards if you have good WRs and are accurate 

Against poor pass defenses. Being consistent enough to do it against the better pass Ds in the league is a different ball game, especially when the Ds are playing shallow like they would knowing he's been very inaccurate on deep passes his college career.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, DAG said:

SW didn't throw for over 250 yards in a single game in 2016. Are we just making things up as we go?

He's talking about 2015 where he did versus UK, Arky, & another sister of the poor pass D.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now