Who Do You Want?

ClaytonAU

I'll glady eat crow if we win out. Matter of fact i'll take my crow with a lot of hot sauce. But we have some serious work to do on offense to do that.

• Replies 813
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, OnthePlains said:

If you got a better solution I'm all ears.  We have a pretty darn good sample size on ol Gus now and it seems the verdict is very nearly in.  

I'm not disagreeing with that point (Gus). My point is a high level defense takes years to develop but an offense can be improved much faster. If at all possible, we don't want to lose a DC like Steele that has his defense playing at the high level it has the last 2 years. It would take years to recover. This is the kind of defense that can win championships with just an average to above average offense to go with it. So let's see, someone could step in and tell Gus that he has an OC, let him do his job, or have a HC that would keep this defense or.....you get the picture. We can have both if we think about it long enough.. 

Here is the sad reality: For the foreseeable future, Auburn will not hire an elite coach and be successful for two reasons:

1) Pride: The PTB want credit and control more than championships

2) "Morality": Our school, which is driven by old money and southern Christian values would rather have a Ned Stark who gets his head cut off, than a Twyin Lannister who always wins (even if he does eventually die on the crapper)

Until those things change, expect a lifetime of 8-9 win seasons with a great season sprinkled in there every 5-10 years.

If and or when Gus is fired I know who I don't want, the same three people on the search committee who were pushing Gus for the job. 

I hope Gus can right the ship offensively but after what I saw tonight I think it will take more time than Gus left?

PJ Fleck, Clay Helton or Derrick Mason.

it may be tough to hire a quality head coach if you demand up from that he retain the defensive staff but it's still certainly possible.  

6 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

what are we arguing here that Gus is worse than Chip? WELL YES! OF COURSE! Would I want him as our head coach? NO. I really do not think you know how BAD he did in the NFL. Which was all his fault. He got player control of the eagles and got rid of all their good players essentially thinking he did not need them and failed epically. He reminds me of gus way way too much.

So based on this logic Saban did bad in the NFL so that means Bama shouldn't have taken him right?

Pj Fleck, Luke Fickel. Maybe Tom Allen (up and comers I could see us going after) 

Gruden- pipe dream but would turn cfb upside down

realistic- Les Miles haha (would recruit well, great guy, but his offenses have been terrible) 

like many have said, whoever we get, we need to keep at least Steele and TW  

8 hours ago, OnthePlains said:

This is always a sticky conversation with Auburn folks.  We think we can attract a big timer but usually we end up with well...Terry Bowden, Gene Chizik, Gus Malzahn...etc.  The only one of the above I think would take the AU job is Kiffen and I'm not sold he could ever run a big time program.  I have thought for a long while that Gary Patterson is a good fit but the PTB would have to relinquish the program to him much like the bammers did with saban.  

Well that turned out alright for them :dunno:

I would love the idea of getting Chris Peterson though. In my opinion he's in the top 5 of all college coaches right now. He consistently takes 2 and 3 stars and makes them play like champions. He would murder with our talent level.

2 minutes ago, War Knight said:

I would love the idea of getting Chris Peterson though. In my opinion he's in the top 5 of all college coaches right now. He consistently takes 2 and 3 stars and makes them play like champions. He would murder with our talent level.

I agree with you but from all I've ever heard about Peterson he would never come to Auburn. Loves the west coast.  

Keven Steele do it like Clemson did when Dabo took over.  Fire Gus let him coach this season see if Auburn looks any better.  If they do give him the job.  If not find a guy.  But please get rid of that bubble gum eatin idiot trying to look like a cross between Tressel and Spurier on the side line today.

6 minutes ago, War Knight said:

You do know that Tubs could have hired Peterson as OC in 2003? All Peterson wanted was to bring in his WR coach. Tubs told him "no". 

The only "proven winner" that I can think of off the top of my head we'd have a decent shot at hiring would be Bobby Petrino. As others have said, I just don't think it would happen. Maybe the time that has passed since the Arkansas incident has helped, but I just don't think the Alumni donors would ever get behind him. 

We probably have a better than average chance of hiring away Will Muschamp from USCe. 

Dan Mullen is a possibility, but unless he turns in an 0 - 12 campaign or two or three consecutive losing seasons, I doubt he'd leave State. Too much job security with his regular bowl appearances so it's hard to imagine his seat has ever been even luke warm. 

20 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

You do know that Tubs could have hired Peterson as OC in 2003? All Peterson wanted was to bring in his WR coach. Tubs told him "no". 

WDE, how bad does this thing have to get before Gus is fired? Will an 0-4 record vs Clemson, LSU, Uga and Bama convince whoever is making the call? I can't see AU winning a one of those games.

8 hours ago, ClaytonAU said:

If Gus were to actually be fired who do you want? Just want a realistic conversation about who you think you'd want to see in the Orange and Blue next? No Gus talk. 

interesting name that i heard was mike bobo.....going to be a bunch of coaches let go this year and its not a buyers market

Here's what I want.  Gus to stop surrounding himself with yes men and hire outside his circle of friends.  Seems he did that with Steele to some extent and the results are amazing.  After he does that, relinquish the playbook.   

I havent closed the book on Stidham and won't until he gets more experience under his belt, but malzahn is certainly not getting it done.  

Cant stay away from the Gus talk because he's the current reality.  

47 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Brent vennables

Pat Narduzzi

Paul Chryst

James Franklin

Chad Morris

PJ Fleck

Dan Mullen

Out of these, probably the only real chance would be vennables or Morris.   I would choose vennables.  

8 hours ago, WeagleAU said:

I agree with one thing, he won't be fired this season.  But I'm not sure how long the program can keep going being mediocre with how much he gets paid.  They eventually got rid of Tuberville for doing that.

And Tubs never had a losing streak to the Turds or UGA like our dear Gustav has managed to do. 

Who is hiring the next HC?   If it is Jay Jacobs, then expect the SOS.  Lashlee, Muschamp, promote Steele, promote Garner.

wde

Archived