Who Do You Want?

ClaytonAU

This is a random thought and maybe someone can shed light on it. Back in 1999 when we hired Tubs did we ever go after bob stoops at that point? I know he went to Oklahoma that year just didn't know what the circumstances were at that time as I was only 9 or 10 then. 

• Replies 813
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Current HC - David Shaw

Cooridnator - B Venables

1 minute ago, ClaytonAU said:

Look how frustrated Chip is. I thought maybe Gus had actually given him the reigns... but just look at this. 

IMG_4440.GIF

LOL, chinese fire drill.

wde

After thinking about this for a little more

AD: Scott Ethridge 

HC: Venables

DC: Steele stays

OC: Tee Martin/Sterlin Gilbert 

3 minutes ago, tbone1430 said:

Has Venables ever expressed the desire to be a HC?

wde

I will tell you who would do a great job here with our resources and better recruiting landscape: Dan Mullen. I know everyone hates the guys but all he does is get THE MOST out of his teams and develops QBs. If you can win at MOO U then you can win anywhere. I get though why no one would want him here because of the cam stuff. He actually elevates a team unlike gus who makes it worse.

14 minutes ago, tbone1430 said:

I approve this message 

18 minutes ago, AUIH1 said:

LOL, chinese fire drill.

wde

That video is very telling.   Dang things are worse than I thought.

12 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

I will tell you who would do a great job here with our resources and better recruiting landscape: Dan Mullen. I know everyone hates the guys but all he does is get THE MOST out of his teams and develops QBs. If you can win at MOO U then you can win anywhere. I get though why no one would want him here because of the cam stuff. He actually elevates a team unlike gus who makes it worse.

I don't like him (nothing to do with the Cam stuff), but you are probably right.  

wde

23 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

Look how frustrated Chip is. I thought maybe Gus had actually given him the reigns... but just look at this. 

IMG_4440.GIF

Look how confused our sideline looks...just completely no emotion from the players

20 minutes ago, AUIH1 said:

Has Venables ever expressed the desire to be a HC?

wde

Not sure. But think about this. He has coached under bill Snyder, bob stoops, and Dabo. If he has picked up some coaching qualities from all of them I'm sure he would be a very good HC. Money talks also. He's making 1.7 mil as a DC. We could easily give him gus money and most likely get more of a return for the cash. 

Just now, tbone1430 said:

Not sure. But think about this. He has coached under bill Snyder, bob stoops, and Dabo. If he has picked up some coaching qualities from all of them I'm sure he would be a very good HC. Money talks also. He's making 1.7 mil as a DC. We could easily give him gus money and most likely get more of a return for the cash. 

I don't know either.  Just that some guys are more comfortable being an assistant and do not want the responsibilities of being a HC.

wde

Honestly, I don't think people understand how unattractive Auburn is right now.  We are squarely in the shadow of bama until we start beating them again (except for 2013).  We are losing to our rivals on a regular basis and UGA is getting stronger which is not going to help recruiting.  

We aren't going to wedge any credible coach away from a P5 conference like a Chris Peterson type  b/c he is at a place where he can win a championship already.  I doubt Franklin would want to return to the grind of the SEC, much less the SECW.  He is winning at PSU and only has 2 big heavy weights to fight. 

We might could get a B Venebles or prob  PJ Fleck.  

Not a P5 HC worth their salt.   And I love Auburn more than any of you, but that is the truth. :) 

14 hours ago, AUTigergrad08 said:

Speak for yourself.   I want to win.  Lane Kiffin can coach. 

Very talented OC. Not crazy about him as a head coach.

1 minute ago, AUFAN78 said:

Very talented OC. Not crazy about him as a head coach.

Totally agree.  With a very good to great HC who takes no crap (like Saban), Kiffen is an excellent OC. But I think he is a train wreck as a HC.

wde

Since we keep throwing around "with the right money", I say we try to lure Gruden away from MNF. Just as plausible as anybody else mentioned "with the right money". 

This is why this thread is stupid.   Gruden is not coming to auburn.   It's names like this that get tossed around that make having a decent conversation on the matter not taken seriously.   Coaches that are coaching at schools like penn st.   are already making more money and don't have to deal with saban.   You have to look at guys that are out of coaching looking for a job or assistant coaches or coaches at smaller schools

May be a lot of schools looking for coaches come December (or before).....just go to the A&M and Arkansas boards. They are duplicates of what is going on here. ...you will see the same names thrown out there. 

10 minutes ago, Beaker said:

Honestly, I don't think people understand how unattractive Auburn is right now.  We are squarely in the shadow of bama until we start beating them again (except for 2013).  We are losing to our rivals on a regular basis and UGA is getting stronger which is not going to help recruiting.  

We aren't going to wedge any credible coach away from a P5 conference like a Chris Peterson type  b/c he is at a place where he can win a championship already.  I doubt Franklin would want to return to the grind of the SEC, much less the SECW.  He is winning at PSU and only has 2 big heavy weights to fight. 

We might could get a B Venebles or prob  PJ Fleck.  

Not a P5 HC worth their salt.   And I love Auburn more than any of you, but that is the truth. :) 

I think potential hires would understand we fired CGM because we're losing to our rivals.  If they're afraid of a challenge then they wouldn't be a good fit in the SEC anyway.

I would take Petersen because I think he's a solid coach, but in his three decades career he's only spent one year east of Idaho, and that was 25 years ago. I prefer someone with a far greater familiarity with the culture and traditional recruiting area.  My biggest hang up with CCP is what was arguably the best team he's ever had got waxed by uat in the playoffs. 

Franklin is an absolute no-go for me.  I remember him from his time at Maryland.  He's a good enough coach, I guess, but not good enough to mitigate the fact he's a raging a-hole.  I don't expect our coach to be Mr Rogers, but he can't be a egomaniacal sociopath.  He's from PA, and I don't think he'll ever leave PSU voluntarily.

Venables is plausible, but he's an absolute unknown when it comes to offensive philosophy.  Without knowing his preferred style and who he would hire as OC I can't say I would want him as our HC.  A career DC isn't who I would ask to fix the offense.

I'm wary of overly charismatic coaches like Fleck.  I think they're often more bark than bite, and he doesn't exactly have a stellar resume.  I'm also concerned about his nearly absolute lack of experience with higher echelons of football.  Apart from one year in the NFL his biggest program is Rutgers.  Also consider this is a guy that waits until the dead period to pull scholarship offers of committed players to minimize the chances they'll sign with a rival.  I imagine that's a great way to burn bridges on the big boy level.

WDE!

4 hours ago, AUIH1 said:

If JJ is making the hire, Venables or possibly Muschamp will be the upper level of JJ's hiring skill set.

wde

You could do a lot worse than Venables.  We need someone like that on our staff.

To those saying "We need to hire a proven head coach", I ask two questions:

1) Who the hell would come that's won at a high level?  (Answer:  No one)

2) Why?  Very rarely can ANYONE hire a "proven" head coach.  The Meyer's, Saban's, and Harbaugh's of the world don't happen every day.

The answer to number two is that you don't need a "proven" head coach.  You need the best coach that you can get, and in my opinion, we could greatly benefit from finding a younger coach with high upside.  Lincoln Riley just coached his second game last night at the age of 34 and he took his team into Columbus and whipped OSU.  Kirby Smart had never been a HC before UGA.  He just took a freshman QB making his first start into South Bend and won.  Luke Fickel took an undermanned Cincinnati team to Ann Arbor and played toe-to-toe with Michigan until late in the 4th quarter.  Those are the kinds of guys we need to be looking for as our next HC.

Archived