AU vs. MSST - Scoring in 1Q is key

RunInRed

The script always makes me feel good, so I think we can get a TD in the 1st. 

It's after the script is what worries me, we just go back to doing what we do in every game, seemingly not taking advantage of what the script told us

2 hours ago, MaxP said:

How much does running our offense out of the shotgun inside the 10 limit our ability to score touchdowns?

It probably does, but a bigger problem is that it seems like we have no routes that can confuse a secondary down there. Our passing plays are immediately stymied and our offensive line can’t do enough to move the rock running anymore, at least not when it’s needed. Passing teams figure out how to do what they gotta do, but we aren’t committed enough system wise to develop red zone passes I guess 

4 hours ago, MaxP said:

How much does running our offense out of the shotgun inside the 10 limit our ability to score touchdowns?

Little to none.

#1 problem is our fear of expanding the passing game near the goal line. Run, run, then think about passing b4 running again inside the 10.

11 hours ago, MaxP said:

I for one do not trust Gus to come up with something that will work in the RZ throwing the ball. Do you?

18 minutes ago, War Knight said:

Our first drive is always a thing of beauty. Then, like a girl you didn't see while you were sober, it gets real ugly real fast.

Yep, this happened in the MSU game in 2015.  SW's first game, Auburn drove right down the field and SW threw that interception in the end zone.  The offense just disappeared after that.  Very strange.  There is just no fight in the man after that first drive.

I agree with you guys. If scoring early is that much of a key, I like our chances. Under Gus, we seem to have a pretty good to very good game plan going into a game, then when the other team makes adjustments we revert to "Gus ball" - being very predictable and ineffective. 

If we can score a couple of times early and the defense holds, this trend/stat should continue.  

8 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

I for one do not trust Gus to come up with something that will work in the RZ throwing the ball. Do you?

I'll just say no, I don't want to add any more negativity. Here's to crushing MSU and their scum bag coach.

I think if our offense stalls in the RZ more than once in this game they should throw Malik Willis in there while in the RZ  just to see if he can make something happen.  I know that that is dangerous since he is a true freshman backup QB but I’m tired of seeing this offense stall so I say why not? Especially if they trust him to throw it. They will not be expecting that. 

Archived