Bye Week- Who Returns from Injury

shabby

So glad we have a BYE week to rest up players. As of the Arkansas game, who was out with injury?

Who is expected back after the BYE week in time for the texas AM game? 

Hopefully most are back and ready to play (especially on Defense and Offensive line)

38 minutes ago, WDE0007 said:

Tray Matthews was out and is supposed to be back by A&M.

Definitely are missing him. I hope he's back at 100%

Hopefully everyone. They essentially have two weeks to recover. Horton and Dunn should be back. Tray Matthews should be back as well. I have no clue on James. Looked serious but have heard different things.

If Tray and Tre are back, our defense will be sitting pretty. Those are the two who really direct the defense. Having Dinson back will be clutch as well. His ability in the slot allows our defense to counter a lot of the lateral movement A&M tries to do on offense.

19 minutes ago, alexava said:

Was Martin not available vs arkansas? Barrett and Miller played. I don't recall Kam.

According to the box score he had one carry.

He had zero carries against Miss St and again zero against LSU which led to speculation about him being "unavailable", but he played on special teams in both those games, so......

Just another of those little mysteries relating to personnel usage this year.

We have been playing the last several games....all or part with anywhere from  5 or 6 starters unable to play....that's not a small thing...especially when two come off the O-Line and 3 key defenders.

Looks like they might all be back for the stretch run....should make a difference.

I’m hoping Trey Matthews and Javaris Davis get healthy for TAM. You could definitely tell the difference especially in the LSU game when the CEO isn’t in the secondary. Not an excuse but dude is basically a coach on the field. 

K-Mart is good in mop up duty where he is faster then the young defenders.  He really struggles with breaking any tackles against front line defenders and is beyond pathetic in pass blocking.  His size and "want to" in pass pro isn't there.  So all complaining about Martin not being used needs to look no further then trying to keep Stidham up on his feet and not destroyed by a blitzing linebacker.

That's just the truth and I'm a huge K-Mart fan.  

We need J. Davis and Matthews back asap in the secondary.  

4 minutes ago, corchjay said:

K-Mart is good in mop up duty where he is faster then the young defenders.  He really struggles with breaking any tackles against front line defenders and is beyond pathetic in pass blocking.  His size and "want to" in pass pro isn't there.  So all complaining about Martin not being used needs to look no further then trying to keep Stidham up on his feet and not destroyed by a blitzing linebacker.

That's just the truth and I'm a huge K-Mart fan.  

We need J. Davis and Matthews back asap in the secondary.  

So don't call max protection when he is in and utilize a quick passing attack with him.  KMart matched up against a backer in coverage is a mismatch 90% of the time.

1 minute ago, bigbird said:

So don't call max protection when he is in and utilize a quick passing attack with him.  KMart matched up against a backer in coverage is a mismatch 90% of the time.

we normally see everything eye to eye and are both huge Martin fans.  But do you think he'd catch it.  Multiple opportunities multiple failures to catch the ball.  

4 minutes ago, bigbird said:

That would require an offensive coaching philosophy that looks to exploit mismatches. We just try and trick the defense.

2 minutes ago, corchjay said:

we normally see everything eye to eye and are both huge Martin fans.  But do you think he'd catch it.  Multiple opportunities multiple failures to catch the ball.  

I also think that Barret catches the ball better, and would be able to break more tackle attempts. 

We don't see practice and we don't see the game film to know what Martin is NOT doing. As long as we use a speed back like Barrett, I am not concerned how many carries Martin gets. Do we even use him on KOs? 

44 minutes ago, corchjay said:

Sadly, about the same odds as Slayton. 

Swing, flats, Texas, angle, whips, floods, all would utilize his ability.  He is better with short passes rather than deep bombs down the sideline. Most backs aren't good at catching deep passes

1 minute ago, bigbird said:

Sadly, about the same odds as Slayton. 

Swing, flares, whips, floods, all would utilize his ability.  He is better with short passes rather than deep bombs down the sideline. Most backs aren't good at catching deep passes

Slayton has driven me crazy with dropping about half the catchable balls.  The throw in the endzone was absolutely perfect.  

1 minute ago, corchjay said:

Slayton has driven me crazy with dropping about half the catchable balls.  The throw in the endzone was absolutely perfect.  

Yes it was! A beautiful pass that would've been caught by everyone of our opponents. I never see them drop passes like that.

36 minutes ago, tbone1430 said:

I’m hoping Trey Matthews and Javaris Davis get healthy for TAM. You could definitely tell the difference especially in the LSU game when the CEO isn’t in the secondary. Not an excuse but dude is basically a coach on the field. 

You are correct . It has really clicked for Tre this year. He has really played his way into the draft . 

that's why seeing replays of pass plays would give us a better understanding of the minuses/pluses of our WRs.

To me it seems:

1. Slayton is our best WR that runs good routes and is aggressive to catching balls. His weakness is he drops some of the somewhat easier catches.

2. Meyer is probably our best deeper pass catcher. He catches everything, if thrown to him. He is strong so can battle those 50/50 balls. He may not run the best routes (not easy fly patterns), so it may be an issue with JS not knowing where he will be in his progressions.

3. Stove is NOT the best deep threat. He is the weakest of our WRs to catch the ball covered by a DB. They have tried it, and he never comes down with them. I wish the OC would stop trying this. He would be good with slants and bubble screens.

in the end we have good WRs, not Great ones. Slayton seems to be our go to guy simply cause he is most consistent in routes. 

27 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

that's why seeing replays of pass plays would give us a better understanding of the minuses/pluses of our WRs.

To me it seems:

1. Slayton is our best WR that runs good routes and is aggressive to catching balls. His weakness is he drops some of the somewhat easier catches.

2. Meyer is probably our best deeper pass catcher. He catches everything, if thrown to him. He is strong so can battle those 50/50 balls. He may not run the best routes (not easy fly patterns), so it may be an issue with JS not knowing where he will be in his progressions.

3. Stove is NOT the best deep threat. He is the weakest of our WRs to catch the ball covered by a DB. They have tried it, and he never comes down with them. I wish the OC would stop trying this. He would be good with slants and bubble screens.

in the end we have good WRs, not Great ones. Slayton seems to be our go to guy simply cause he is most consistent in routes. 

Don't forget an about Hastings.  Probably the best route runner of the bunch.   

42 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

To me it seems:

Remind me when Slayton aggressively caught a ball. 

Slayton has caught several NFL balls to the corner of the end zone as well as coming back to a few underthrows. Last year he never dropped any of the passes he has this year. Not sure what his deal has been this year, but with the game on the line I wouldn’t feel bad about a pass thrown to him. Seriously though, no idea where his concentration has been lately

13 hours ago, corchjay said:

S;ayton is like our previous big fast WRs...Sammy, Louis etc.....drop enough balls to drive you crazy and then make a catch and run that changes the game.  That's just who he is I'm afraid. 

JMO but Barrett has moved beyond KM because of his pass catching and and apparently is no more of a liability on pass pro.     I haven't seen enough good from KM that it makes sense to change the offense just to accommodate his weaknesses as a receiver and blocker.  If we adapt the offense for him, I'm guessing it would take most opposing DC's about 10 seconds to know it....and what plays to expect.

If KMart wants to play more he needs to be a complete RB.....which he does not seem to be.   I'm with corch on that situation...especially since KP looks to be back in form. 

14 hours ago, bigbird said:

I'm with you on this bird, but could please make a personal phone call to Gus and explain to him what this means.

Archived