Sign in to follow this  
CountStandya

Offensive roles

Recommended Posts

Does it seems to you that all or most of our offensive players are "slotted " to one particular play ?

Stove ...end around

Ryan Davis .....screen

D. Slayton. ....deep pass

W. Hastings ...double move deep ball or slant....where's he been?

Nate Craig Meyers....decoy? Please use him

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites




1 hour ago, CountStandya said:

Does it seems to you that all or most of our offensive players are "slotted " to one particular play ?

Stove ...end around

Ryan Davis .....screen

D. Slayton. ....deep pass

W. Hastings ...double move deep ball or slant....where's he been?

Nate Craig Meyers....decoy? Please use him

 

Yes, it seems that way because our player utilization is poor and those tendencies are and have been exploited.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

NCM wasn't my Man crush because I got in late, but he is my favorite player on the team, and he is like the invisible man out there. 

There have been a couple games he makes the first catch then disappears the rest of the game. 

I really like Slayton and what he has done for us this season, but imagine what it would be like if we threw to someone more than Slayton and Davis... I'm not knocking either of them, but we have to get NCM involved. He is too talented to waste

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

I'm not knocking either of them, but we have to get NCM involved. He is too talented to waste

Don't forget Marquis McClain

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, johnnyAU said:

Don't forget Marquis McClain

Oh I haven't. He was my 2nd favorite WR of that class. I always thought he would have the best career of that class. He reminded me a lot of Coates. But I still don't think he has the natural talent of NCM.

Either way, they are both still young and have a few years to develop into monsters.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Whatever the roles and complaints about who plays and who’s targeted more or not is kind of a weird discussion now.  We have scored 40 or more in every conference game this year except 1.  That game was just a complete cluster after the first qtr.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, corchjay said:

Whatever the roles and complaints about who plays and who’s targeted more or not is kind of a weird discussion now.  We have scored 40 or more in every conference game this year except 1.  That game was just a complete cluster after the first qtr.

To me it's just about personal favorites vs complaining about production.

Either way, we do need to have more people involved. If Davis or Slayton goes down with an injury, what then? We will be throwing to WRs that have talent yes, but will be lacking confidence since they haven't been involved all season. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If (and it's a giant if) CGM really cut CCL loose and let him truly call plays, then I think (hope, fingers crossed...) it's a matter of time before those tendencies are ended. 

Edited by doug3020
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Auburn2Eugene said:

To me it's just about personal favorites vs complaining about production.

Either way, we do need to have more people involved. If Davis or Slayton goes down with an injury, what then? We will be throwing to WRs that have talent yes, but will be lacking confidence since they haven't been involved all season. 

Tell them to get open or start blocking then, otherwise they will never see the field except in mop up time.

  • Like 1
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, corchjay said:

Whatever the roles and complaints about who plays and who’s targeted more or not is kind of a weird discussion now.  We have scored 40 or more in every conference game this year except 1.  That game was just a complete cluster after the first qtr.

Do you disagree?

To me, having multiple players running the same routes/runs makes our offense even more difficult to scheme against or at least key against.  As successful as we've been this year, I think we could be even more dangerous.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Do you disagree?

To me, having multiple players running the same routes/runs makes our offense even more difficult to scheme against.  As successful as we've been this year, I think we could be even more dangerous.

 

...and there is no such thing as dangerous enough.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So many things wrong with typecasting roles like AU does. We are delaying development of those in the roles, delaying development of younger players, giving DC known tendencies  to scheme against us and putting some players at risk of injury(mainly RBs)   

 

We are scoring 40 points because of a good RB, above average line, and a QB who is good for a few deep balls a game. We aren't, for the most part, outschemeing other teams, or being creative with our passing game and if AU faces a team with a front 7 as good as ours it could be bad news. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I mean a lot of the plays work..just seems noticeable to me. I figure it would really be noticeable to a DC. Don't think I ever remember WRs having a signature thing they do beside a long go route for a 4.4 and below receiver. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bigbird said:

Do you disagree?

To me, having multiple players running the same routes/runs makes our offense even more difficult to scheme against or at least key against.  As successful as we've been this year, I think we could be even more dangerous.

I don’t disagree with the thought process but also agree it’s the best policy to put your players in roles to be successful.

For instance I love D. Russell and his energy and intensity but just for the sake of developing him more am I gonna move Jeff Holland off the edge so Russell can get practice in at rushing the passer from the edge.  

What is good about roles as you can see evidenced in the UGA game is the roll out pass had been either the deep ball or a curl route to the sticks... well we broke that normal tendency and threw back a delay screen to KJ.  

These “roles” for players are at every level of football ball from pee wee to the NFL.  

No one is complaining about Tre Williams being pulled out on every 3rd down and 4 or longer for a better linebacker in coverage. What about his development?  Is it sub par coaching or just finding a better player for that role?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AUMASTERS said:

Tell them to get open or start blocking then, otherwise they will never see the field except in mop up time.

Do you think Sensei Mud could teach them some techniques to get open??? :Sing:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

To me it's just about personal favorites vs complaining about production.

Either way, we do need to have more people involved. If Davis or Slayton goes down with an injury, what then? We will be throwing to WRs that have talent yes, but will be lacking confidence since they haven't been involved all season. 

First thing you can’t play scared someone will get hurt.  Secondly last year all we heard was there was to many substitutions going on.  Now there is not enough.  

Im definitely still not on the Gus Bus nor am I waiting for the next stop but the arguments about his stubbornness is futile in my opinion because all he has done is make changes year after year to try to keep people (fans) happy and improve his team and their chances to win championships.  He’s changed DCs, he’s changed OCs, he’s went from read option to more balanced attack which we were all screaming for.  Last year we only threw passes within 15 yards of the line of scrimmage this year we don’t throw enough.  My point is you can’t make everyone happy.  

My advice to any coach regardless of level is to be yourself, have a plan, stick to the plan, and never sacrifice your character (that’s assuming you have great character).  

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

IMO, apples to oranges.  Defenses are reactionary by nature. Offeneses aren't trying to figure out what play the defense is running in the same manner that defenses try against an offense.  Multiple players running the same routes makes it more difficult for a defense to key on. 

Defensive staffs spend hours breaking down personell groupings and formations for the exact reason as to try and figure out the possible play.  Offenses, for the most part, don't care who is lined up at LB but more where they are lined up. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

IDK, maybe next year when they become more familiar with Chip, they'll allow him to call just more pure passing plays, instead of designed reads and such. Even with KD gone, McClain and NCM are overall beasts that should be a coordinator's nightmare. If we used more empty receiver sets, you would think we could find somebody open, although that might go back to receiver coaching. Win or lose, we really need to let KB go. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, bigbird said:

IMO, apples to oranges.  Defenses are reactionary by nature. Offeneses aren't trying to figure out what play the defense is running in the same manner that defenses try against an offense.  Multiple players running the same routes makes it more difficult for a defense to key on. 

Defensive staffs spend hours breaking down personell groupings and formations for the exact reason as to try and figure out the possible play.  Offenses, for the most part, don't care who is lined up at LB but more where they are lined up. 

Trust me at higher levels it is about who is where.  You identify who you want to move around by motion.  Who you want on who in blocking schemes.  

Also the route trees are a little more complex then the past few years.  We don’t throw enough intermediate passes.  More and more combo and triangle routes are starting to make their way into the offense.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

IDK, maybe next year when they become more familiar with Chip, they'll allow him to call just more pure passing plays, instead of designed reads and such. Even with KD gone, McClain and NCM are overall beasts that should be a coordinator's nightmare. If we used more empty receiver sets, you would think we could find somebody open, although that might go back to receiver coaching. Win or lose, we really need to let KB go. 

I’m still in wait and see mode for Kodi.  He’s recruiting better.  WRs are playing better.  But I think for as much as he makes we could have a better coach.  I think he should get 1 more year but he needs to get into some coaching circles with NFL coaches outside of the “spread” concepts.  

Im more concerned with Hand and Porters responsibilities then I am with Kodi at this point.  Overall o-line might be the most talented group on the team.   Great o-line coaches don’t allow the sacks and negative plays our OL allows.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

NCM wasn't my Man crush because I got in late, but he is my favorite player on the team, and he is like the invisible man out there. 

There have been a couple games he makes the first catch then disappears the rest of the game. 

I really like Slayton and what he has done for us this season, but imagine what it would be like if we threw to someone more than Slayton and Davis... I'm not knocking either of them, but we have to get NCM involved. He is too talented to waste

Can he really just not get open? Is that really it for NCM? He seems to take pride in setting blocks and is happy celebrating with the team after wins but he sure seemed like he was beyond frustrated after the lsu game and not just because of the team losing. He looked like an elite talent in the making in the spring game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's funny that you ask this as I was thinking to myself earlier that I really want to see stove in more pass plays even though he hasn't connected with the deep balls. I see much more in him. Dude is a straight burner and he should be like a pierre garcon or desean jackson type for us.It is also frustrating, as I continue to mention it, to bring Barrett out for a swing pass for minimal or no gain and then taking him out. We were using him for runs earlier in the year and he looked like he could've broke several runs but would get tripped up. However they do it distributing these roles; just don't be too predictable. I liked the play-calling last game. Who knows, we might see one player surprise us and do something out of the ordinary in the iron bowl.

Edited by WFE12

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, corchjay said:

I’m still in wait and see mode for Kodi.  He’s recruiting better.  WRs are playing better.  But I think for as much as he makes we could have a better coach.  I think he should get 1 more year but he needs to get into some coaching circles with NFL coaches outside of the “spread” concepts.  

Im more concerned with Hand and Porters responsibilities then I am with Kodi at this point.  Overall o-line might be the most talented group on the team.   Great o-line coaches don’t allow the sacks and negative plays our OL allows.

I dont expect Hand to go anywhere. Grimes would still be here if he didnt leave on his own accord. Malzahn literally doesnt part with guys on his staff that he likes (unless his job is on the line ala basically Rhett). Hand is Gus. They are the same. BUT IDEALLY

1. OL (pass-protection, being less injury prone)

2. Receivers (not being clamped 24/7) 

3. Tight Ends (existing) 

4. Special-teams sans Carlson (existing) 

 

that's my order for units I'd like to see improve and specific fixes that I'd like to be done. Whoever we hired at ST coach is god awful. He shouldn't be brought back by any means. I wish we still had the fella that went to Dallas, he was a splash. I'd also rather KB just get better than replace him, but IDK. It'd be nice if he did what you suggested. Its crazy watching the progression in routes from Kiffin to Daboll over on the other side. We NEED that progression, we even have more talent than Bama at that position (I believe). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think that the players mentioned do tend to execute certain plays more often than others, but I have seen them execute plenty of others. Stove caught that long pass against MSU and he's been targeted deep on multiple other occasions. Slayton had a screen for a big gain against A&M and has been targeted on intermediate passes to the sideline. Davis has caught some short-intermediate passes to the sideline and even a slant and crossing routes. But yes, each player kind of has their niche. It's a delicate balance to utilize players in multiple roles, but also ensure their biggest strengths are being utilized.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We are scoring 40& a game vs SEC. with "changes" would we score 50? Just asking. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this