2018 3* RB Kavosiey Smoke

WFE12

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

Very much up in the air if AU would take Alaric in the 2019 class.

Thanks ellitor! I couldn't remember his name or even if we considered him a RB.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, toddc said:

But did you see him in Ala/Miss All Star game? He looked really good running the ball with power and some speed, and hard yards at times too!

I didn't. I  would probably be impressed with that or anything other than what I saw. Our coaches wouldn't recruit him if he was not good 

4 hours ago, TigerPAC said:

remember tho, with shivers, he will not be an every down back due to his size.  he has big play potential on occasion but will be used probably like Omac was---although his HS highlights show him enjoying contact (not running to sidelines like Omac did, but man, was he fast!)

I can't see any reason why Shivers can't be an every down back. He's 5' 6" tall and is currently at 185 ponds. Has thighs like tree trunks and runs with power. He's close to a bowling ball. Shivers is not limited to scatback duty. He's already 20 pounds heavier than O-mac was and he isn't even in a college weight program yet.

5 hours ago, ClaytonAU said:

Central destroyed them this past year haha

Im as much of a fan of central as I am of opelika but wasnt Opelika on their 3rd string QB in that game and then he got hurt? They were pretty bad midseason.

5 hours ago, TigerPAC said:

Don't get me wrong....I hope shivers is the 2nd coming of "lil train" at AU but rushing LB are more stout, taller and athletic than when Lionel James was there. 

Worm is very thickly built. Don't just dismiss him between the tackles just because of height & weight number. I don't think he will be a workhorse inside guy but I definitely think he could contribute 5-10 carries a game inside if the staff wanted him to.

Smoke is a solid back.  I don't think there is a need to add another back this class unless they are planning on using him at another position. With 5 weeks still to go I think we can find 5 players better and in positions of greater need.  I still think we need a 2nd QB this class.

Last 5 - QB, OT, LB, S, and WR or CB - take best available you can find at each of those positions. 

47 minutes ago, corchjay said:

I still think we need a 2nd QB this class.

Agreed but no need to take a guy just to have a body there & potentially hurt the recruitment of Bo in 2019. Need has to meet availability as we have seen wirh TE recruiting recently.

50 minutes ago, corchjay said:

Last 5 - QB, OT, LB, S, and WR or CB - take best available you can find at each of those positions. 

I don't think we take another S especially if Fuqua gets the go ahead from AU & signs in this class. The staff views TE as a must, especially with a target the potential of Alaimo out there. Also musts are at least 1 OL, preferably 2; 1 CB, preferably 2; Schwartz is a take at WR in a week: & have space to flip a guy like Quay.

8 hours ago, Mikey said:

I can't see any reason why Shivers can't be an every down back. He's 5' 6" tall and is currently at 185 ponds. Has thighs like tree trunks and runs with power. He's close to a bowling ball. Shivers is not limited to scatback duty. He's already 20 pounds heavier than O-mac was and he isn't even in a college weight program yet.

Agreed. Very Darren Sproles like. Can’t wait to see Shivers at AU. 

11 hours ago, ellitor said:

Slots aren't use it or lose it for a while. They can still be used on CO 2019 January enrollees if necesary so no need to strech on a guy right now.

Every time I get this stuff figured out the NCAA goes and changes things up! Wish they'd settle on a system and leave it alone so everyday folks could keep up.

11 hours ago, ellitor said:

Slots aren't use it or lose it for a while. They can still be used on CO 2019 January enrollees if necesary so no need to stretch on a guy right now.

Oh & @Mikey, I know you knew all that stuff. I was just clarifying for anyone on the board who may not have known.

1 minute ago, ellitor said:

Oh & @Mikey, I know you knew all that stuff. I was just clarifying for anyone on the board who may not have known.

No I didn't know. I've been slackin' off lately! :) There have been several major changes the past two years that somehow got by me.

21 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Every time I get this stuff figured out the NCAA goes and changes things up! Wish they'd settle on a system and leave it alone so everyday folks could keep up.

Well now they're grinding *my* gears, because if Mikey don't know, then Loof sure don't know. >:(

2 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Well now they're grinding *my* gears, because if Mikey don't know, then Loof sure don't know. >:(

@ellitor has the ball! Run with it until some of us slower folk can catch up, E

9 hours ago, Mikey said:

Tre Mason with slightly less mass and an extra gear in the open field. Can. Not. Wait.

The only problem I ever had with O-mac who I enjoyed was having to look for the sniper that would knock him down without any one around.

My youngest son one time told me that O-macs feet couldn't keep up with his mind.

Just now, WDavE said:

The only problem I ever had with O-mac who I enjoyed was having to look for the sniper that would knock him down without any one around.

My youngest son one time told me that O-macs feet couldn't keep up with his mind.

So true. I'm literally laughing out loud at work because I forgot about that randomness. 

1 minute ago, WDavE said:

Loved that guy, but he had no balance or center of gravity. Corey Grant's problem was that he didn't have the vision or hips to make good cuts, which is a major hindrance in a zone blocking scheme. Brandon Jacobs ran standing straight up and took a lot of soft TFLs because guys could just cut that big tree down with one hack at his ankles. It's so rarely about size (although Grant has excellent dimensions for the position). 

Sorry. Tangenting, ranting a tired and played rant, used your post as a jumping off point.

Kavosiey Smoke is 6'0 210. 

As to whether Shivers can take the punishment because of his size. I would suggest the younger posters to look up Little Train. I believe in his heyday, he weighed no more than 170lbs.

With apologies to Mr. Smoke, I can see Shivers being a Noel Devine for us. A Malik Willis and Shivers/Asa backfield could be devastating for defenses in the future. Although, when I think about it it's more likely Joey Gatewood plays with these RBs, which also could be a nightmare for defenses -- just in a different manner.

If Gatewood can prove to be an inside running threat, giphy.gif

1 hour ago, corchjay said:

Think more Jacquizz Rodgers then Darrren Sproles.  

I’ll gladly take that!

Archived