2018 4* RB Harold Joiner Commits to AU!!!

ellitor

22 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Auburn is KILLING IT in the early evaluation game this year. Best I can ever remember under Gus. Joiner and Jibunor (spell check) got huge bumps by 247. SO glad we got in on them early. Hopefully it pays off in the end.

It's been a trend with Gus since he got here but you're right, this year has some notable examples.

• Like 1

Offerd today by Bama per twitter. Per SECCountry Top 2 remains AU & LSU but Bama will be in top 5.

Edited by ellitor

His recruitment is probaly just getting started if he like most people in the mountain brook area grew up bama fans.

14 hours ago, ellitor said:

Offerd today by Bama by twitter. Per SECCountry Top 2 remains AU & LSU but Bama will be in top 5.

He does look a lot like some former and current Alabama backs. 

1 hour ago, Barnacle said:

He does look a lot like some former and current Alabama backs. 

He looks like some current and former Auburn Backs also. We have had our share of big backs over the years.

25 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

He looks like some current and former Auburn Backs also. We have had our share of big backs over the years.

Which current and former backs are you talking about? And I'm not trying to be a smarta**. I know we've had "big" backs. Pettway is a big back. I just don't recall us having any tall, lengthy backs like him in the past. Alabama seems to target one every year. We'll see two of them this fall. So, it doesn't surprise me that Alabama has now offered him.

I'd love to see what a guy like him looks like in our offense. Hopefully getting after him early will pay dividends.  

Edited by Barnacle

17 hours ago, ellitor said:

Offerd today by Bama per twitter. Per SECCountry Top 2 remains AU & LSU but Bama will be in top 5.

Still don't think uat is recruiting Joiner real hard. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Barnacle said:

Which current and former backs are you talking about? And I'm not trying to be a smarta**. I know we've had "big" backs. Pettway is a big back. I just don't recall us having any tall, lengthy backs like him in the past. Alabama seems to target one every year. We'll see two of them this fall. So, it doesn't surprise me that Alabama has now offered him.

I'd love to see what a guy like him looks like in our offense. Hopefully getting after him early will pay dividends.  

Height wise you are correct. I was going more on Weight  Pettway, Ronnie Brown, Bo Jackson, Stephen Davis all 225 to 240 pounds. Tucker Frederickson was about 6'2" and 220 pounds

6 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Height wise you are correct. I was going more on Weight  Pettway, Ronnie Brown, Bo Jackson, Stephen Davis all 225 to 240 pounds. Tucker Frederickson was about 6'2" and 220 pounds

Right, which is why I said that he "looks" like Alabama backs - e.g. Henry, Scarborough and now Najee Harris. To me, he doesn't look like any of the larger Auburn backs we've seen, maybe with the exception of Fredrickson who I have no personal memory of, considering he played in the 60s. 

Edited by Barnacle
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Still don't think uat is recruiting Joiner real hard. 

That's a little surprising to me. Who are they targeting in this cycle?

50 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

That's a little surprising to me. Who are they targeting in this cycle?

They have a RB commit & are targeting Zamir White and have offers out to 6 other RBs rated higher than HJ.

Edited by ellitor
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Then have a RB commit & are targeting Zamir White and have offers out to 6 other RBs rated higher than HJ.

I hope they don't get White. I enjoy watching him too much for him to be in Crimson. 

AU likely trails LSU for Joiner

Harold Joiner, the state of Alabama’s No. 2 running back from Mountain Brook High School, picked up an offer from the Crimson Tide on Wednesday. But from the sound of it, the chances he goes to Alabama aren’t high right now.

There are two reasons for that.

The first reason is Alabama’s scholarship offer to Joiner was as an athlete. While talking to SEC Country on Wednesday night, Joiner was adamant about wanting to play running back in college — something LSU is pitching. While talking to Nick Saban on Wednesday, the five-time national champion mentioned running back, H-Back, wide receiver, linebacker and safety as potential positions he could play if he were to commit to the Tide. Saban compared him to Tim Williams, who obviously didn’t carry the ball for Alabama.

harold joiner-alabama-alabama crimson tide-auburn tigers-lsu tigers
Harold Joiner will have to camp at Alabama this summer so Nick Saban can decide which position best suits him. The in-state prospect is set on playing running back at the next level. (Chris Kirschner/SEC Country)

“I want to play running back,” Joiner said. “I want that to be my primary position. The only position I would think about switching to would be wide receiver, but I want to play running back first.”

Because Joiner is set on being a tailback in college, Alabama doesn’t present the greatest opportunity for an easy path to guaranteed early playing time. The Crimson Tide are loaded in the backfield. Bo Scarbrough, Damien Harris, Josh Jacobs, B.J. Emmons, Najee Harris and Brian Robinson make the case for the deepest position at Alabama. Those guys were all blue-chip prospects as recruits.

Joiner was honest about his feelings when asked if that depth would impact Alabama’s chances at getting a commitment from him, which he says could happen in December or National Signing Day.

“Yes, that is something that would hurt their chances,” Joiner said. “All of those guys are really good. They have a ton of depth and they may bring in some more. I’m willing to compete anywhere, though.”

That doesn’t sound like someone whose recruitment dramatically shifted after picking up a scholarship offer from the in-state power. The only thing that changed in his recruitment: Alabama is now planted in his top 5, but it’s clear the Tide are no higher than third...

LSU appears to be the frontrunner to land Joiner’s services primarily because the Tigers are pitching to the 6-foot-4, 218-pound prospect to be their lead back in the Class of 2018 and the chance to play as a freshman. LSU running back Derrius Guice will likely leave for the NFL draft after this season because he’s expected to be a first-round pick next year, so a starting spot will be open. The Tigers didn’t sign an elite running back in the Class of 2017, so the chance to play early is real at LSU.

While visiting Baton Rouge, Joiner said he’s had that sense of seeing himself wearing the purple and gold one day. He hasn’t felt that anywhere else.

“I’ve had that feeling at LSU,” Joiner said. “They have great coaches who are ready to compete for championships. They said I would see the field my freshman year. They have a downhill offense, which I like.”

Auburn, which is where he’ll be this weekend for the Tigers’ spring game, is also associated with Joiner because, like LSU, the Tigers want him to play running back and a little wide receiver. But it’s clear that Auburn’s plan for him, if he did commit there, doesn’t exactly match Joiner’s wishes.

“Those are the two schools — more so LSU — that tell me that I can play running back there,” Joiner said. “They also communicate with me every day. LSU strictly wants me at running back. The coaches there told me that I could switch positions only if I wanted to.”

Now, compare that to Saban’s message to Joiner on Wednesday and you’ll see why it’s currently unlikely he chooses Alabama.

“He was telling me that I need to come to camp to see which position I could play later on,” Joiner said. “He doesn’t know which position I would play right now if I went there.”

Alabama already has a commitment at running back from 4-star prospect Dameon Pierce, but he hasn’t visited Tuscaloosa in several months. It’s very possible he eventually departs the class as other schools pursue. But, unlike Joiner, when Pierce committed to the Crimson Tide, the one thing he wasn’t concerned about was depth.

The fact that AU is #2 for their top 2 in state RB targets to out of state schools is annoying to say the least.

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, ellitor said:

The fact that AU is #2 for their top 2 in state RB targets to out of state schools is annoying to say the least.

O understands the game. AU not recruiting Joyner solely as a RB is stupid. And UF leads for the other in-state RB. :dunno:

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Completely agree, especially in the position where Auburn historically has the most success.

1 minute ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

O understands the game. AU not recruiting Joyner solely as a RB is stupid. And UF leads for the other in-state RB. :dunno:

Asa Martin has said they do a few times the past couple of weeks.

1 minute ago, ellitor said:

Asa Martin has said they do a few times the past couple of weeks.

Hope Gus has a plan. He is behind the 8 ball on these two. And :dunno: if Gus thinks he is going to get the kid committed to Miami to flip. Ain't going to happen. 

• Like 1

Hope Gus has a plan. He is behind the 8 ball on these two. And :dunno: if Gus thinks he is going to get the kid committed to Miami to flip. Ain't going to happen. 

What's worse with Asa is we could have already had him in all likelihood. We slow played him til Chip was hired & he admitted that bugged him.

2 minutes ago, ellitor said:

What's worse with Asa is we could have already had him in all likelihood. We slow played him til Chip was hired & he admitted that bugged him.

Just went back and looked at Asa's thread. 

"How would Auburn use Martin in the offense?

"They want to use me running the ball and catching the ball out of the backfield -- and catching the ball in the slot," Martin said. "I can do all those things well.""

Really Auburn? Catching the ball out of the slot? Got. O. Mighty.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bigbird said:

I like Teague a lot.  We need to get Asa though, IMO

Teague is a good 'un!

Just went back and looked at Asa's thread. 

"How would Auburn use Martin in the offense?

"They want to use me running the ball and catching the ball out of the backfield -- and catching the ball in the slot," Martin said. "I can do all those things well.""

Really Auburn? Catching the ball out of the slot? Got. O. Mighty.  

Watch his film. He can damn sure do it well and Chip likes throwing to his RBs.

It always amazes me with our rich tradition with rbs how we are not bringing in a high 4 star or a 5 star rb every year. I mean this year we are even struggling to land 1 of our top 2 rb targets that is not committed elsewhere.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Stacy Danley  also comes  to mind as a big lanky back from years ago.

• Like 1