Wolk's 1st Article on Rivals: Covers Many Things

ellitor

#STAYWOLK: The First One

Ben Wolk

Here's an inside look at things happening in and around Auburn from new AuburnSports.com reporter Benjamin Wolk:

Cord Sandberg picked Auburn on Monday. Anytime a quarterback is added it’s going to generate interest, but especially when it’s a 23-year-old member of the Philadelphia Phillies organization. To clear up a few of the basic questions I’ve been getting, he has five years to play four just like any other incoming freshman. Many people have asked what this means for Malik Willis and Joey Gatewood. It doesn’t mean anything yet. Willis remains the clear backup to Jarrett Stidham and Gatewood will continue to develop in the offense. Sandberg was the nation’s No. 158 overall prospect in the Class of 2013, but it’s been five years since college coaches have seen him in competitive action. Auburn had a remaining scholarship to give Sandberg — something that helped the Tigers win out over LSU — so it was worth it for Gus Malzahn to make that offer, but there are no guarantees Sandberg will be any more ready than Willis, Gatewood and eventually Bo Nix. With that said, if Stidham goes pro after 2018 as many expect, the 2019 quarterback competition between Willis, Gatewood, Nix and Sandberg could be one for the ages.

• As of now, I’d expect to see three commitments added to Auburn’s 2019 list by Aug. 16. That number could grow to four depending on the decision plans of Gulfport (Miss.) linebacker Derick Hall. The three who are likely to jump on board — athlete Zion Puckett, defensive back Nehemiah Pritchett and defensive lineman Colby Wooden— all told Rivals on Tuesday that they’re likely to make their decision between now and Aug. 16.

• Puckett is down to Auburn, Alabama, Ohio State and Tennessee. He will make his decision “in about two weeks,” though he doesn’t have a finalized day, time or method yet. The Tigers should feel great about their chances.

• Pritchett estimated his choice will come “within a week or two,” and Auburn is the clear frontrunner for the in-state prospect. He’s been a likely land for the Tigers since he camped earlier in the summer. In fact, Auburn’s camp infatuation with him was a key player in Cordale Flott’s ultimate flip to LSU.

• Wooden said he’ll announce his decision on Aug. 16. From talking with sources, Auburn has emerged as the favorite to land him over Clemson despite Archer (Ga.) teammate Andrew Booth’s recent pick of Clemson over Auburn.

• Speaking of Booth, a common question I received Monday was: What’s the plan at cornerback after such a big miss? There’s no denying Booth’s decision stings. He’s one of the best defensive backs in the country, without a doubt. The Puckett and Pritchett notes should help clear up some of that. If Auburn lands those two — which I believe it will — it should be considered a success. As the nation’s No. 32 prospect, Booth ranks higher overall than Puckett at No. 233. Those two were evaluated fairly evenly, however, by the Auburn coaching staff. The Tigers would’ve loved to land both, but just know the staff will be just as ecstatic if they land Puckett as they would’ve been landing Booth.

• While we’re talking about defensive backs, let’s take a look at someone already on the roster, someone who I think deserves more attention for the role he’ll be asked to play this season. Jamien Sherwood didn’t create as much recruiting buzz as fellow 2018 safety signee Smoke Monday, but he’s made just as big of an impression on the staff through the first half of the year. Two separate Auburn sources have made comment about him as a potential future first- or second-rounder. That may seem like too high of praise or unfairly set expectations — and maybe it is too soon for that kind of talk — but it shows the early confidence Auburn has in its young safeties, a potential position of concern given the senior departures. I think everyone knew to expect those kind of comments regarding Monday, but Sherwood deserves plenty of hype in his own right. In fact, the entire incoming defensive back class, including Christian Tutt and Roger McCreary has receive rave reviews early. Toss in the high praise for receiver-turned-cornerback Noah Igbinoghene, and it's easy to see why defensive coordinator Kevin Steele talks about safeties coach Greg Brown as one of the best defensive backs evaluators in the profession.

• Three 2019 linebackers went off the recruiting board in the last week. LaVonta Bentley chose Clemson, Rian Davis picked Georgia and Kalen Deloach committed to Florida State. Auburn will still attempt to haul in one or two more elite linebackers. Travis Williams will get his; it’s just a matter of who. The uncommitted names I’d look at right now: Nakobe Dean, Mohamoud Diabate and Mikel Jones. With that said, it wouldn’t be surprising to see Auburn scour the committed market, as well, as evidenced by a recent visit from Florida commit Tyron Hopper. Hopper's stock is rising fast inside the Auburn program.

• This might slightly step outside of Auburn territory at this point, but it’s worth the update. News broke in July that 2018 signee Kayode Oladele won’t enroll at Auburn. He told Rivals on Tuesday that he has finished up one final outstanding credit and is waiting on NCAA qualifying clearance. Oladele expects to be cleared, but there’s still a waiting process. He said he has been in contact with coaches from Baylor, Ole Miss and Arkansas, but he won’t move forward with anything until NCAA approves him as a qualifier, if that in fact happens.

• Don’t sleep on Auburn in the Noah Cain sweepstakes. Yes, LSU should probably be viewed as the favorite because of the recent John Emery Jr. commitment to Georgia. But there’s a reason Cain plans to wait until December to make a decision. He wants to see how the programs inside his top 6 — Auburn, Oklahoma, LSU, Penn State, Texas and Ohio State — take shape during the 2018 season. If Auburn isn’t successful with Cain, look to south Florida target Mark-Antony Richards and Atlanta-area back Tahj Gary. Both of those guys visited Auburn just prior to the July dead period.

• Continuing with running backs, everyone wants to know who the “starting running back” will be. That’s a tough question to answer because it’s likely not to be as defined as it has been in the past. By-committee approach has been brought up more this offseason by Gus Malzahn and Tim Horton. Whether or not that actually happens will have to be proven to be believed. The same three names keep coming up in conversations with sources, however: Kam Martin, JaTarvious "Boobee" Whitlow and Asa Martin. This is a position battle that will likely take shape as the season progresses even if a depth-chart announcement is made during fall camp.

13 minutes ago, corchjay said:

Sherwood is gonna be the gem of last years class.  All business so far.

Shout out to my niece on Sherwood- she was his “Tigerette”/student recruiter. He’s going to be a good one.

22 minutes ago, corchjay said:

Sherwood is gonna be the gem of last years class.  All business so far.

I've heard the same. Was told he has the maturity and mindset of a senior.

The reports remind me of what we heard when Marlon Davidson came in. All business married to size and talent. Less hyped than others at his position but deserves more attention. 

I’d love to have Sherwood turn out to be the Safety version of Davidson. 

Thanks, @ellitor. This was a nice pick-me-up and doesn't strike me as fluff, especially since as you said the review on the CBs matches our very own @corchjay's. (Exactly what I was thinking as I read that part.)

Really exciting to hear about Sherwood, the secondary and Coach Brown. REALLY exciting. Even with the expected exodus of a once-in-a-lifetime DL, are we really about to have a complete defense again?!

I really hope we land Hall. 

Heck of a first article. Answers a lot of questions that this board has been debating for days. The only thing he did not cover I’d OL and DL. Dilly Dilly Wolk

5 minutes ago, AlaskanFAN said:

The only thing he did not cover I’d OL and DL. Dilly Dilly Wolk

He covered 2/3s of what's likely left on the DL. Hall (even though Rivals has him as a LB) & Wooden at the Buck. The only thing not covered on the DL is DT which appears to be LaDarrius Cox at the moment.

On the OL, as Keith said last night in his free chat, it's nor know how the last 2 spots will pan out. He expects it to be a name or 2 we haven't seen yet.

Wolk is the freaking man. SO glad JGT made a great move to scoop him up. Now they can start the process over there of phasing out Mr I am wrong all the time J LEE out lol.

7 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Wolk is the freaking man. SO glad JGT made a great move to scoop him up. Now they can start the process over there of phasing out Mr I am wrong all the time J LEE out lol.

Doubt they phase him out. Probably work B-Wolk like a mule to make JLee look good.

2 hours ago, CJ4Six said:

Guess I gotta subscribe to Rivals now.

@CJ4Six if you have to pick one for recruiting I still say AUC & Keith. While B-Wolk is damn good Keith is the GOAT in terms of recruiting reporters.

I'm really interested, as I am sure most on this board are about the starting OL. If they come together as we all hope they do, the offense could be very lethal weapon.

7 hours ago, ellitor said:

He covered 2/3s of what's likely left on the DL. Hall (even though Rivals has him as a LB) & Wooden at the Buck. The only thing not covered on the DL is DT which appears to be LaDarrius Cox at the moment.

On the OL, as Keith said last night in his free chat, it's nor know how the last 2 spots will pan out. He expects it to be a name or 2 we haven't seen yet.

See that’s what I get for only read the Cliff Notes. The underlined, orange highlighted and bold printed.

giphy.gif

5 hours ago, ellitor said:

Doubt they phase him out. Probably work B-Wolk like an Auburn RB to make JLee look good.

Fixed it for ya... ?

1 hour ago, gctiger said:

Fixed it for ya... ?

That was actually my mental image. Well that  and the way Kilmer used the black running back in the movie varsity blues all the way to the goal line and then let the white boy score every time.

6 hours ago, ellitor said:

@CJ4Six if you have to pick one for recruiting I still say AUC & Keith. While B-Wolk is damn good Keith is the GOAT in terms of recruiting reporters.

E I feel like you could start a much better recruiting service than what we currently have. Start by pulling Wolk and Keith to the same team.

I have always thought a 10* system would be better. There’s just such a big difference between some 4* athletes. Not something I would recommend because you’d look silly being the lone service doing it.

247 could be great they’re just not there yet. Should be a mobile app that makes following recruiting easier. Better than what I’ve seen at least.

1 hour ago, Zeek said:

Start by pulling Wolk and Keith to the same team.

Yeah cuz I soo have the bank roll to afford them.

1 hour ago, Zeek said:

I have always thought a 10* system would be better. There’s just such a big difference between some 4* athletes. Not something I would recommend because you’d look silly being the lone service doing it.

10 would be waaaaaaaay too many given there are over 7,000 kids to evaluate each year. And at 10 you would be making up some categories for some of the numbers. This criteria from 247 is worthwhile.

How 247Sports evaluates ...

Each recruit we evaluate is assigned a numerical rating as well as a star rating. Ratings are determined by our recruiting analysts after countless hours of personal observations, film evaluation, and input from our network of scouts.

Players are first grouped qualitatively with a star rating, then given a numerical rating based on their future potential, and finally ranked according to these numerical ratings.

110 - 101 = Franchise Player. One of the best players to come along in years, if not decades. Odds of having a player in this category every year is slim. This prospect has "can’t miss" talent.

100 - 98 = Five-star prospect. One of the top 30 players in the nation. This player has excellent pro-potential and should emerge as one of the best in the country before the end of his career. There will be 32 prospects ranked in this range in every football class to mirror the first round of the NFL Draft.

97 - 90 = Four-star prospect. One of the top 300 players in the nation. This prospect will be an impact-player for his college team. He is an All-American candidate who is projected to play professionally.

89 - 80 = Three-star prospect. One of the top 10% players in the nation. This player will develop into a reliable starter for his college team and is among the best players in his region of the country. Many three-stars have significant pro potential.

79 - below = Two-star prospect. This player makes up the bulk of Division I rosters. He may have little pro-potential, but is likely to become a role player for his respective school.

1 hour ago, Zeek said:

Should be a mobile app that makes following recruiting easier. Better than what I’ve seen at least.

I have no issues using them on mobile.

Very well written article.  Thanks for posting this.  I think everyone that was anxious after Booth's commitment to Clemson should read this to get their mindsets on the right track again.  

Archived