2018 Fall Camp - Scrimmage 1

RunInRed

4 minutes ago, RunInRed said:

All back-ups?! To quote Boobie, Ya Gotta love it!!!

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, DAG said:

Spreading the ball out more to NCM! Yes , yes, yes. Seems like Matthew needs to be lining up with 1s

Exactly. We've recruited playmakers at WR but have done a poor job of using that talent. Give them some simple routes and a little space and let them show what they can do!

15 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

A slant... I am now officially excited! Letsssss Gooooo!

PTL! I will believe them when I see us throw a few in a game. Bring on some slants!

5 minutes ago, DAG said:

So both Myers brothers are killing it? Nice. Glad the secondary is being opportunistic.

The fruits of Marcus Woodson baby!!!

8 minutes ago, RunInRed said:

T-Will is the perfect coach for Zakoby!! Both undersized lb's who wreak havoc!!!

30 minutes ago, RunInRed said:

GUS MALZAHN:

-- 100-play scrimmage, split between 1st, 2nd, 3rd team.

-- 8 reps live punt, 5 reps live field goals

-- Defense had three turnovers, sounds like mostly interceptions. One was a "great play" another was a "good play" and another was a bad QB decision.

-- Offense had "some explosive plays."

-- Joey Gatewood went live.

-- Noah Igbinoghene was held out, belief is he'll be back this next week. Marquis McClain was also held out and is day-to-day.

-- Running backs were "pretty equal" with carries. Kam Martin was first.

-- Mike Horton spent "close to half the time" at center along with Kaleb Kim with 1st/2nd teams. Tucker Brown got in as well.

-- Jeremiah Dinson scrimmaged but was in an orange jersey.

-- Jayvaughn Myers was who made "probably the best play of the scrimmage" with an interception.

https://www.al.com/auburnfootball/index.ssf/2018/08/live_updates_gus_malzahn_recap_22.html

This may be a dumb question, but was anyone able to attend or have any insight as to how Gatewood did? 

16 hours ago, jared52 said:

I’m just lucky he chose my kid and Todd Van Emst (team photog) was there to take it. Planning on taking a copy to Fan Day Saturday and have him sign it. 

I love following Todd and seeing his photos! Very cool. 

I have loved what I have heard from this scrimmage, and I feel like that’s the first time I can say that. Good quarterback play, freshmen stepping up in a big way (can’t wait to see their impact this season), defense doing a solid job, but the offense isn’t sucking either, AND it sounds like Calvin is going to be okay. I’m optimistic 

I wanted to hear if 1st D played against 1st Team O and if O-Line held its own. I have great faith in the talent of our D-Line but I think the biggest question this year is the O-Line if they are just solid with the talent we have we will be really good if they are better than solid this could be a special year.

The other question I have was how vanilla was the defense. Even if O-Line held its own it gets much harder when D starts throwing in Blitz packages and disguise their look. That is where O-Line communication and play calling becomes vital and is a real test of how cohesive the O-Line is as a group.

12 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

They were probably playing against backups.

Yeah I figured after I made the comment.

2 minutes ago, RunInRed said:

I've been saying not to forget about Seth, Him paired with George next year and the other speedy wr's is gonna be a movie.

Just now, DAG said:

I really hope we see some 5 wide sets

Yet another thing I've been clamoring for....might be asking too much though.

1 minute ago, WFE12 said:

Yet another thing I've been clamoring for....might be asking too much though.

5 wide, 2 minutes offense. JS flourishes in that. I am not saying all the time but it would be nice to see.

Is anyone else concerned that our D gave up a 60-70 yard TD off a slant?  The slant pass has killed us in the past.  I hope this is not an ongoing thing.

I know it is too early to complain.  I am just saying this is something that has given us fits in the past.

5 minutes ago, LKEEL75 said:

Is anyone else concerned that our D gave up a 60-70 yard TD off a slant?  The slant pass has killed us in the past.  I hope this is not an ongoing thing.

I know it is too early to complain.  I am just saying this is something that has given us fits in the past.

I'm glad they're finally getting to practice against it ?

Sounds very promising. 

* QB on point already

* Freshman making a big impact already

* Defense getting turnovers

* no major injuries

* slant? wow. yes please!

* back shoulder throws? wow. yes please!

Archived