2020 Recruiting Thread (OP Update 1/30/19)

ellitor

8 hours ago, ellitor said:

& again, you are looking at total score instead of rating per recruit which is the more important number. In that important statistic we are #5 right behind Texas A&M & ahead of Florida. The only reason Florida has more total points right now is because they have 3 more commits right now. When we get more of ours we will pass Florida in total points. We have a good shot of getting at least 3 commits this month. We will pass both Florida & Texas A&M then.

You do realize that recruiting in the Gus era has been far superior to recruiting under any other coach in the last 20 years right? 5 top 10 classes in a row nationally from 2013-2017 & 2 more in the top 12 in 18 & 19. Tubbs & Chiz didn't recruit at that level consistently.

Not necessarily. As I stated earlier, outside of OL recruiting the bigger problems have been talent retention, roster management, & offensive skill talent usage. If we were good in those areas we would hold our own well against those teams.

Not a matter of liking or disliking what you are saying. Just showing you the facts & hoping you'll see them at some point.

Gus certainly recruits better than Tubbs and if he would have gotten the performance out of his roster like Tubbs did, the term “hot seat” wouldn’t apply to Gus. 

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Auburn Kev said:

DJ Williams signed with Auburn on December 19, 2018. Cadillac did not join the staff until late January 2019.

You are right. I forgot DJ signed on the early signing day. However he still very much closed the deal with MAR. Horton never got MAR committed. To borrow a phrase from work, Horton did the processing... Caddy did the closing.

59 minutes ago, 1auburn1 said:

Gus certainly recruits better than Tubbs and if he would have gotten the performance out of his roster like Tubbs did, the term “hot seat” wouldn’t apply to Gus. 

You are right. If Gus got the results out of his recruiting classes that Tubs got out of his, we would be naming something after him. Either renaming the stadium/field or maybe name the football only facility the Malzahn Center or something similar. 

And there sure wouldn't be the fighting within the fanbase. 

The Gus haters don't hate Gus because they feel he is successful. They just want what is best for Auburn football. If Gus got the results out of his top 10ish classes that Tubs got out of his 30 something ranked classes the Gus haters would love Gus.

People say we can’t win with these annual top 11 classes, but every 3 years or so, we win with these top 11 classes. The only difference between those years and other years is that Gus plugs someone in place that’s worthwhile at QB. Going with that train of thought, if we can just develop QBs in house, annually...

8 hours ago, Auburn Kev said:

DJ Williams signed with Auburn on December 19, 2018. Cadillac did not join the staff until late January 2019.

@Auburn Kevwith the strong finish while I was away at work...

giphy.gif

8 hours ago, Sizzle said:

And I’m not intentionally skipping over Goodwin but I don’t care when recruits commit that early because too much can happen in 2 years

Ok but barring a coaching change kids committing that early stick 85+% of the time so it's worth caring.

8 hours ago, 1auburn1 said:

whoop-there-it-is.gif

7 hours ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

Horton never got MAR committed. To borrow a phrase from work, Horton did the processing... Caddy did the closing.

MAR was pretty much an AU lock before Horton left. He just wasn't ready to go public til NSD.

7 hours ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

You are right. I forgot DJ signed on the early signing day. However he still very much closed the deal with MAR. Horton never got MAR committed. To borrow a phrase from work, Horton did the processing... Caddy did the closing.

You are right. If Gus got the results out of his recruiting classes that Tubs got out of his, we would be naming something after him. Either renaming the stadium/field or maybe name the football only facility the Malzahn Center or something similar. 

And there sure wouldn't be the fighting within the fanbase. 

The Gus haters don't hate Gus because they feel he is successful. They just want what is best for Auburn football. If Gus got the results out of his top 10ish classes that Tubs got out of his 30 something ranked classes the Gus haters would love Gus.

It also helped that Alabama wasn’t a dynasty at the time too and UGA wasn’t as good as they are now

9 hours ago, 1auburn1 said:

It's also a matter of not recruiting for need.  Gus has padded a lot of classes by over signing some positions like WR while not concentrating on OT, QB, RB, etc.  This is why we're starting a Freshman at QB and worried about starting a converted DT at OT if we have an injury at the position.  It's why we lost to UGA and UCF in '17 when we didn't have a 2nd SEC capable RB.

2 hours ago, Sizzle said:

It also helped that Alabama wasn’t a dynasty at the time too and UGA wasn’t as good as they are now

To an extent, sure. But those programs being "down" compared to now, had very little with Tubs getting the most out of his recruits. It may have helped with a win or two per season but the fact those programs were down compared to now had little to do with Tubs being able to turn 2* kids into college superstars. You could count in three things with Tubs recruiting. We would finish 20-35, a few wouldn't qualify, and he would always find a diamond or two in the rough. 

College football was a whole different world back then.

ellitor and others can hate all they want. But the facts are the facts.

Bama,. UGA, LSU, and now both UF and A&M are recruiting much better than AU. While AU struggles to land a top tier high school  OL, and last year proclaimed what a huge class of awesome OL recruits we would have, and we look now at a bunch of JUCO assorted guys. Yep, maybe maybe one or two will be wonderful. BUT

Again, I'm not dissing on any recruits. I'm just saying that Gus needs to up his recruiting game, because the reality is AU is falling far behind the top SEC teams -- teams that AU tends to lose to MOST years. And without improving recruiting, will continue losing to most years.

As for ellitor and others who want to pile on me for stating the fact that AU recruiting is not up there with our rivals,

1b88ec3004d2072c83a13a03cf7a8d05.png

3 hours ago, AURex said:

UF and A&M are recruiting much better than AU

@AURex No they aren't as I have documented to you. For some reason you have a ridiculous idea stuck in your head & refuse to see the actual facts.

3 hours ago, AURex said:

and last year proclaimed what a huge class of awesome OL recruits we would have

Nobody ever remotely claimed that

3 hours ago, AURex said:

the reality is AU is falling far behind the top SEC teams

The only teams we may be far behind is Bama & UGA in that area but it's nothing that can't be made up with better talent retention, roster management, player development, & offensive skill talent usage.

3 hours ago, AURex said:

As for ellitor and others who want to pile on me for stating the fact that AU recruiting is not up there with our rivals,

Never said it was with Bama & UGA but you keep mentioning Florida & Texas A&M & that's laughably wrong.

That's it! No more! @aubiefifty cut Rex off from the good ish!

If my math is right, we are now 9th in average rating (247 composite) per recruit now with the signing of CTJ.  Not spectacular compared to our rivals but now bad considering the negative recruiting going on.

13 hours ago, ellitor said:

Never said it was with Bama & UGA but you keep mentioning Florida & Texas A&M & that's laughably wrong.

Exactly. We have ended up higher than both with the average player ranking which is what matters most. He needs to go check that. And we are ahead of UF and tied exactly with ATM this year, too!

1 hour ago, dyehardfanAU said:

If my math is right, we are now 9th in average rating (247 composite) per recruit now with the signing of CTJ

Nobody's signed yet but correct on the number. Will pass ND for 8th if we get Tank Friday as we are predicted too.

Have we go any DT we are seriously looking at? 

or is Handy & Moore going to move to DT? 

we seem to be short for next year? 

thanks 

5 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

M. Jackson

Yes

5 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

Boykin

Has work to do on & off the field before AU would take him.

6 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

Hardy

Who?

7 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

So where are we with DL?

Also lead with Ojulari & in the thick of it for Z. Walker.

@Tigerpro2a

13 minutes ago, CameronCrazy said:

June was big for us, in respect to recruiting. August is going to be even bigger!

Not sure about number of commits wise but agree in terms of potential impact.

Haul in Tank and Tennison and we will be in really really good shape outside of DL and we cannot worry about Garner... he does his thing strait up.   Will just need to sprinkle in the rest of the DB’s..  

Archived