Who would replace Malzahn (merged threads again)

tigerbrotha12

Coaches  

361 members have voted

1. 1. Which coach would you like to see at AU next?

• Bob Stoops
    • James Franklin
    • Mario Cristobal
    • Brett Venables
    • Hugh Freeze
    • Art Briles
    • Kevin Steele
    • Lane Kiffin
    • Bill Clark
    • Other (Specify in comments)

I dont care what he wants tbh. Im being irrational rn, but hes getting 4m at Purdue to have an amazing offensive scheme. Just give him 5M 2-3 years and Ill live with the gamble. Beg Tim Cook or cut the swimming program, do whatever you gotta do 

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I dont care what he wants tbh. Im being irrational rn, but hes getting 4m at Purdue to have an amazing offensive scheme. Just give him 5M 2-3 years and Ill live with the gamble. Beg Tim Cook or cut the swimming program, do whatever you gotta do 

4 million at Purdue to upset tOSU. 

giphy.gif?cid=4bf119fc5bcbf69631586f6f6f

Just now, DAG said:

Update the poll and put Jeff as an option lol 

Yep.  Why not?  It doesn't matter, anyway.  I heard a rumor we're going to keep Gus, win out this season and run the table next year....

1 minute ago, Farmer Brown said:

Close losses. Combined 8 points. Could easily be unbeaten.

Got beat by Eastern Michigan a 4-4 team. But hey, EM did beat Monmouth a New Jersey powerhouse. 

In all seriousness, I don't mind Brohm. Just bringing levity to the forum. 

8 minutes ago, AURealist said:

Yep.  Why not?  It doesn't matter, anyway.  I heard a rumor we're going to keep Gus, win out this season and run the table next year....

A few more things about this guy

came up under Petrino at Lousville

Pretty successful QB coach 

Coveted by Saban in 07

Lead Western Kentucky to their first C-USA championship

Lead them to their first ever top 25 ranking in the FBS

2nd coach in Purdue history to lead them to a bowl game in their first season

actually win the bowl game

Now he has beaten #2 tOSU in his second year. 

Not too shabby.

20 minutes ago, AURealist said:

man if Gus wins out and we miss out on a good FA coach prospect, I might collapse 

3 minutes ago, DAG said:

Coveted by Saban in 07

Not too shabby.

Wins bowl games?  That would be a nice upgrade.   I had considered him a possibility before, but thought there wasn't enough evidence to take the chance.  Probably need to rethink that and keep a watchful eye on how the Boilermakers finish their season. 

35 minutes ago, DAG said:

Purdue’s record the previous four years so we can see who he exactly inherited 

2013: 1-11

2014 : 3-9

2015: 2-10

2016: 3-9

Yeah I think they can live with being 4-3 after beating the #2 team in the nation. 

If that is the rationale, consider we are desirous to fire a coach who defeated two #1 teams less than a year ago. Something to ponder aye?

1 minute ago, AURealist said:

Wins bowl games?  That would be a nice upgrade.   I had considered him a possibility before, but thought there wasn't enough evidence to take the chance.  Probably need to rethink that and keep a watchful eye on how the Boilermakers finish their season. 

This is how I figure in terms of our coaching dilemma at Auburn. Eugene Chizik was able to win a NC at Auburn by hiring the right pieces and recruiting the right talent. Gus Malzahn was able to get to a NC game by hiring the right people and recruiting the right talent. Neither of these two ever built a dang thing as head coaches prior to them being head coaches at Auburn.

So if they can do, I feel like someone with HC experience, who has been successful at others places can as well. I am not vying for someone who has excellent proven experience, although that would be nice. I am looking for someone who has been able to build and get better though at the very least. There are some coordinators who have been excellent for an extended period of time that I like but I can understand if people don’t want to go that route.

17 minutes ago, DAG said:

Coveted by Saban in 07

Not too shabby.

Betcha Purdue doesn't give him $49M w/ $32M buyout just because he beat tOSU....

4 minutes ago, AUFAN78 said:

If that is the rationale, consider we are desirous to fire a coach who defeated two #1 teams less than a year ago. Something to ponder aye?

Yes he did . He also loss to UCF. He also loss to an LSU team he had no business losing to. See he is has more than enough talent at his disposal where he shouldn’t be losing games in that manner. Jeff Brohms does not have that talent at his disposal . It’s pretty simple logic. Does no good to beat two #1 teams and then go 5-5 since that time. Defeats the dang purpose.

2 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

man if Gus wins out and we miss out on a good FA coach prospect, I might collapse 

If this were to happen I’d probably snap and have to go to a looney bin for a few weeks. Don’t get me wrong beating the leg humpers and the turds two years in a row would be amazing but Gus literally has 0.5% chance of winning those games much less winning out. But yeah this years FA coaching list is gonna be a good one I think and we don’t need to miss out. 

2 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

Betcha Purdue doesn't give him $49M w/ $32M buyout just because he beat tOSU....

Say it again because some of these people just quite don’t understand 

9 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

Although I will say if anyone deserves it he does as he actually took a rag tag bunch and beat tOSU. One of the premier schools in the nation. People on this forum act like Gus has a bunch of 2 and 3 star players last year when we beat UGA and Bama. We had a damn NFL running back in our backfield. Lol

9 minutes ago, DAG said:

People on this forum act like Gus has a bunch of 2 and 3 star players last year when we beat UGA and Bama.

Anyone thinking that is nuts. Having said that, other than you just now, I've heard no one make such a claim. 

21 minutes ago, AUFAN78 said:

Anyone thinking that is nuts. Having said that, other than you just now, I've heard no one make such a claim. 

Well when the consensus is he beat two #1 teams last year as always the final response as to why he has such criticism now makes you wonder if people think Gus walked in against those two teams with chopped liver. Yes he beat two very good teams. Yes he got praises from quite a few people on this board and yes he got top tier money for it. But guess what? We were a very good team too! People act like we don’t belong with those teams.

Last year team, on paper, was arguably one of CGM most talented teams from top to bottom of any roster he has had during his time at Auburn. Quite frankly that team was a playoff caliber team if we want to be real. So yes as impressive as that was, why is it such a surprise that he was able to do it?

This same team played horrible earlier in the season against Clemson and yet it was a one score game at the end. That same team dominated inferior opponents. That team had more than enough talent to go to the playoffs and when you have that group of young collective talent, you got to take full advantage of it. To tell you the truth, it was quite over freaking do. So now we have beaten two #1 teams. The story does end there. Now we are 5-5 since then. That’s the issue.

13 minutes ago, DAG said:

Well when the consensus is he beat two #1 teams last year as always the final response as to why he has such criticism now makes you wonder if people think Gus walked in against those two teams with chopped liver. Yes he beat two very good teams. Yes he got praises from quite a few people on this board and yes he got top tier money for it. But guess what? We were a very good team too! People act like we don’t belong with those teams.

Last year team, on paper, was arguably one of CGM most talented teams from top to bottom of any roster he has had during his time at Auburn. Quite frankly that team was a playoff caliber team if we want to be real. So yes as impressive as that was, why is it such a surprise that he was able to do it?

This same team played horrible earlier in the season against Clemson and yet it was a one score game at the end. That same team dominated inferior opponents. That team had more than enough talent to go to the playoffs and when you have that group of young collective talent, you got to take full advantage of it. To tell you the truth, it was quite over freaking do. So now we have beaten two #1 teams. The story does end there. Now we are 5-5 since then. That’s the issue.

This is what's so infuriating to me this year.  Two of our three losses were to inferior teams.  And the LSU game should have been won too (although they have turned into a fine team).  I don't get why people still defend this when such maddening inconsistency is on display.  During the off-season, I was all about Gus building to what was supposed to be another damn fine year.  Unfortunately the ghost of 2015 reared its head and I've lost all faith in him.  There's just too much evidence to the contrary to support him as a HC anymore.

4 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

This is what's so infuriating to me this year.  Two of our three losses were to inferior teams.  And the LSU game should have been won too (although they have turned into a fine team).  I don't get why people still defend this when such maddening inconsistency is on display.  During the off-season, I was all about Gus building to what was supposed to be another damn fine year.  Unfortunately the ghost of 2015 reared its head and I've lost all faith in him.  There's just too much evidence to the contrary to support him as a HC anymore.

Exactly. The inconsistency kills me more than anything bro. How can this team defeat UW, lose in the last seconds to LSU (btw who will probably be in the top four in this week first college playoff poll) but can’t beat Tennessee? Who is absolutely a bad team. 

2 minutes ago, DAG said:

Exactly. The inconsistency kills me more than anything bro. How can this team defeat UW, lose in the last seconds to LSU (btw who will probably be in the top four in this week first college playoff poll) but can’t beat Tennessee? Who is absolutely a bad team. 

The stat that sickens me most.  3-3 vs MSU.  Historically AU owns a 70% win clip over them in 91 games.  Had lost to them twice since 2001 before he got here.  I despise not dominating inferior programs.

LOVE LOVE LOVE Brohms fire and intensity. Love his grooming of successful college QBs at multiple stops and having a really fun and sophisticated passing offense. My only question and concern with him would be crutin. WE MUST have a great and elite recruiter to go up against kirby and saban. 

Schools going after Brohm may get into a bidding war.  With CGM's buyout and Brohm's buyout at Purdue, it might be too pricey for us, but I sure loved watching his offense last night.  Reminded me of CGM's offense in the early years.

9 hours ago, DAG said:

This is how I figure in terms of our coaching dilemma at Auburn. Eugene Chizik was able to win a NC at Auburn by hiring the right pieces and recruiting the right talent. Gus Malzahn was able to get to a NC game by hiring the right people and recruiting the right talent. Neither of these two ever built a dang thing as head coaches prior to them being head coaches at Auburn.

So if they can do, I feel like someone with HC experience, who has been successful at others places can as well. I am not vying for someone who has excellent proven experience, although that would be nice. I am looking for someone who has been able to build and get better though at the very least. There are some coordinators who have been excellent for an extended period of time that I like but I can understand if people don’t want to go that route.

Props to Brohm for focusing on what's most important: fundamentals and player development.  Also, the ability to put resources to their best use.  These skills are paramount when you're building a team from scraps.   Maybe it's just me, but I'm just not impressed with what we've been seeing in those areas at AU.  Gus' operation seems to have difficulty in player assessment and position coaching.  Maybe it's Gus; maybe it's his staff.  Dunno.  But I'm utterly over waiting for it all to work itself out.

Brohm seems to have built something solid from scraps in a cave and I'm liking the color of the grass I'm seeing over there.  Clark has also done an yeoman's job at UAB.  Doesn't mean they could ever really make it in the SEC, but they've done much with little which is the reverse of what we've got going on here in any given season under CGM.  

All I really know is: I no longer care to discover the cause of his teams' inexplicable inconsistencies.  I'm open to taking a chance on a builder or an executive rather than a micromanager like Gus.  If he keeps weaving down the center line like this, we're gonna start losing folks we love to f'n heart attacks...

7 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

LOVE LOVE LOVE Brohms fire and intensity. Love his grooming of successful college QBs at multiple stops and having a really fun and sophisticated passing offense. My only question and concern with him would be crutin. WE MUST have a great and elite recruiter to go up against kirby and saban. 

Well Purdue currently has the 24 recruiting class in the nation so that should be your answer 

Archived