AU players at NFL Combine.

GwillMac6

4 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Honestly? It wasn't terrible but it wasn't great. "Dean is fast" is the biggest takeaway. 

Lol AHHHH ADD ANOTHER to the greatest hits list of players who have said it about them that Malzahns "scheme" was not the best fit for them when it came to Stidham. 

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Tiger said:

You know what? You've changed my mind!

That's what you want to hear, right?

I mean it’s your call. Hastings isn’t tbe only white football player. Should I expect this conversation in the QB battle threads too? 

6 hours ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

That is IF he is even invited. Not everyone gets a combine invite. Just because you are a senior at a SEC school, doesnt automatically warrant you a spot in the combine. 

C'mon Man!  A KEY CONTRIBUTOR  at Auburn, who's set Auburn AGILITY RECORDS, and has ATHLETICISM OFF THE CHARTS?  How do you keep that dude out of the combine?  NFL scouts must be drooling over him!:yes:

37 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

C'mon Man!  A KEY CONTRIBUTOR  at Auburn, who's set Auburn AGILITY RECORDS, and has ATHLETICISM OFF THE CHARTS?  How do you keep that dude out of the combine?  NFL scouts must be drooling over him!:yes:

And because the NFL doesn’t want a 5’8 175 pound receiver, more than likely racists are the ones talking about him. :jump:

18 hours ago, 3rdgeneration said:

Wait.......Hastings is WHITE???? 😳

😂😂😂 You guys crack me up.  I thought this was about combine performance.  So, overall, did our guys improve their draft stock?

I think Slayton may have helped himself with his 40 time. 

I find it interesting that Ryan Davis didnt run the 40. Seems like he could of done well there.

I wasnt surprised Deshaun Davis didnt run the 40. 

Also, its unsettling that Ryan Davis and Slayton are having to defend their route running abilities. Both referenced our offense as being "simplistic." Seriously. The WR who leaves Auburn as our all time receptions leader... The WR who has the best two years ever (as far as receptions go...) Has to say “I know there were a lot of things I wasn’t able to do at Auburn, I wasn’t able to showcase. I was kind of asked to do certain things. That doesn’t mean I wasn’t capable of doing other things. Me being a team player, I was just doing what I was asked to do.” and "Maybe the offense doesn’t present itself to show those talents or shows the abilities, but I definitely want to take charge of [the idea] Auburn does have receivers.” As well as “I can run any route you ask me to run. I feel like I’m as good as anybody in the country. I feel like I showed at the East-West Shrine game and will continue to show that here and at pro day."

The player who has the top two seasons EVER as far as receptions go should never have to say those words. 

Also Slayton having to say “I definitely think I’m underrated as a route runner, but that’s why I’m here. I have an opportunity to show I have the ability to run (various routes). As a player, you want to have a complete game. You want to be seen as someone who is good in all aspects of the position. I’ll have an opportunity to show that off (Saturday).” 

Its a real shame after 3 years of playing games at Auburn, he feels he will finally have an opportunity to show off his route running abilities at the combine. 

It may seem like my post has turned into a bashing post. Its not. Its just our WRs should NEVER have to say these things. Gus needs to progress his offense. The game of cat and mouse between OCs vs DCs is like trying to walk up a down moving escalator. You always have to progress or you are going backwards. There is no standing still. The offense needs to evolve, or its going to die.

Link to quotes

But let me ask you, is every WR supposed to run every route there is? Or are WR supposed to be assigned to certain routes, based on their abilities? How many other WRs from other schools ran ALL the routes their offense had? It feels like that had to be defensive, because they just felt like they had to.  How do we know other guys didn’t feel the same way at other schools? 🤷‍♀️

4 minutes ago, 3rdgeneration said:

But let me ask you, is every WR supposed to run every route there is? Or are WR supposed to be assigned to certain routes, based on their abilities? How many other WRs from other schools ran ALL the routes their offense had? It feels like that had to be defensive, because they just felt like they had to.  How do we know other guys didn’t feel the same way at other schools? 🤷‍♀️

It's less about how other guys at other schools felt and more about how the different offenses are perceived. Auburn's offense is perceived as limiting the WRs. Other schools' offenses are not. That was not invented out of thin air, and our abject lack of success at the position in the NFL is Exhibit A. 

As for your first question, not every WR is supposed to run every route. But most WRs run a lot of routes. Ours don't. Not only because they get pigeon-holed into hyper-specific roles, but because Gus doesn't regularly employ many routes to begin with.

Trust me. Nobody enjoys talking about this. It sucks. But it's true. 

I was just asking.  I am not any kind of expert on the game and I like learning from you guys.  But I feel like we just pick apart every single aspect of the game down to minutia sometimes.  And each aspect takes its turn being beat up at some time or another.  Guess if I can’t take it, I shouldn’t be ona message board, huh? 😂

58 minutes ago, 3rdgeneration said:

I was just asking.  I am not any kind of expert on the game and I like learning from you guys.  But I feel like we just pick apart every single aspect of the game down to minutia sometimes.  And each aspect takes its turn being beat up at some time or another.  Guess if I can’t take it, I shouldn’t be ona message board, huh? 😂

I think you and my fiance' would be great friends. LOL sounds exactly like something she would say. And unfortunately, you both are right. You didn't hear it from me though.

1 hour ago, DAG said:

I think you and my fiance' would be great friends. LOL sounds exactly like something she would say. And unfortunately, you both are right. You didn't hear it from me though.

It’s just the female way of thinking, I’m afraid.  

There's certainly other teams who have gimmick offenses and it's been used as a knock for draft prospects (Mariota and Geno off the top of my head), but I don't think any system in recent memory has that same problem for every position on offense. It seems like guys are playing behind the cue ball in explaining what they had to do here every season 

On 3/8/2019 at 1:51 PM, 3rdgeneration said:

Just my 2 rusty pennies...

When you read how these coaches work 25 hrs per day, 8 days a week and how some of these players spend more time in film study than in class, I think THEY are the ones making the "minutia" so important.

Message board posters aren't picking on these aspects out of thin air.  The coaches and players want to brag/complain (whatever you call it) about how much time & effort they spend in preparation, then if that said time & effort doesn't show on the field then it's gonna get picked apart.

The minutia is what they claim is the difference between victory & defeat.  So Gus & his crew better start mastering it otherwise they bring this upon themselves.

Again, just my opinion but I haven't really shared one in awhile so thought I'd stretch my legs on that one 😁.

• 2 weeks later...

Stidham isn't even drafted per this mock, which I have NO idea how good this guy is at predicting things. But it's on CBS Sports: https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/seven-round-nfl-mock-draft-cowboys-start-with-round-2-defender-patriots-swipe-josh-rosen-bears-land-corner-help/

6 hours ago, jared52 said:

Stidham isn't even drafted per this mock, which I have NO idea how good this guy is at predicting things. But it's on CBS Sports: https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/seven-round-nfl-mock-draft-cowboys-start-with-round-2-defender-patriots-swipe-josh-rosen-bears-land-corner-help/

I never bought in to him being an early or mid round pick. I would guess 7th or FA. 

• 3 weeks later...

Apr 9

6-foot-1 CB prospect Jamel Dean, who ran a 4.30 40 at the Combine, has visits to the sand this week — his 7th and 8th. He also has had 6 private workouts. Dean should go off the board earlier, rather than later, Friday night.

Archived