The Hype Begins

toddc

22 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

Gatewood won’t go away quietly. Nix better bring it every practice. 

Consider IT brought. 😎

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does anybody think there's a snowball's chance that a true "pecking order" (i.e. starter) will be named by Gus after A-Day?

34 minutes ago, KolchakAU85 said:

Does anybody think there's a snowball's chance that a true "pecking order" (i.e. starter) will be named by Gus after A-Day?

No. If precedence means anything it may be the third game before he figures it out. Let's hope not. 

23 minutes ago, KolchakAU85 said:

Yes. He's still overreacting to the criticism of not naming a starter early and/or having five starters. The new m.o. is to name a qb. 

3 hours ago, auburnphan said:

No matter who the quarterback is, they need live reps and lots of them.  After months to prepare for spring ball our HC said he still does not know if the qb's will go live or not.

Amen. A-Day needs to be live in a real game type setting. The top two need to compete and they can switch teams at the half so that they get equal reps with first and second team. 

5 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

Nix is the best QB on the roster and it is not close. 

But but we need a running quarterback! 😉😉

10 hours ago, gr82be said:

Amen. A-Day needs to be live in a real game type setting. The top two need to compete and they can switch teams at the half so that they get equal reps with first and second team. 

A-Day should be as vanilla as can be. The closed scrimmages, all of them, need to be full 100% live. Blitzes, the works. 

5 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Gatewood is the most talented QB on the roster and it's not even close. 

If the season started today, who would it be starting QB?

1 minute ago, abw0004 said:

If the season started today, who would it be starting QB?

Today? Guess I'd go with Willis. After spring, I'm thinking it's going to be Gatewood. I'm not football coach at all but the ones I know all say Willis starts for AU, Gus is going to get fired. Willis just isn't a SEC caliber starting QB. As far as Bo. Just don't see Gus starting a true freshman. To much on the line for Gus. Gus goes 2-2 to start the year would be bad bad bad. 

14 hours ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

Yeah nothing like the ole Gus taking 3 or 4 games to figure out his best lineup. Trust be damned. The most talented should start. We should not let someone start just because they have been around the longest... That's #ButGus for you. 

I've never in my life seen a coach who just wastes the "preseason" as much as Gus does.

Maybe by game 4 he will figure out his teams strengths and weaknesses. Unfortunately for Gus, starting the season that way in 2019 may just be the straw that breaks the camel's back. 

I hope he can do something he has NEVER done in his time as head coach of Auburn and have his best lineup figured out by game 1 and not game 3 or 4.

The highlighted part is why CGM will use abundant caution and go with the guy he trusts the most who has experience, a long relationship with his teammates and who knows the ropes.  He's not about to let the last straw break his back with a green, inexperienced QB behind the wheel.

JMO

44 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

@aujeff11 look at our boy! Haha. 

@WarDamnEagleWDE any word on Joey’s attitude? I want to say that it was questioned last year (I may have made that up). 

44 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Today? Guess I'd go with Willis. After spring, I'm thinking it's going to be Gatewood. I'm not football coach at all but the ones I know all say Willis starts for AU, Gus is going to get fired. Willis just isn't a SEC caliber starting QB. As far as Bo. Just don't see Gus starting a true freshman. To much on the line for Gus. Gus goes 2-2 to start the year would be bad bad bad. 

I have a post of yours saved btw:

”Gatewood will never be tbe starting QB at Auburn University.”

Ready to back off from that statement?

55 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

By far the most talented. 

10 hours ago, Randman5000 said:

But but we need a running quarterback! 😉😉

I've Ref some of his games, believe me he can run... Side note: No Ref jokes.. 😂

27 minutes ago, AidiAU said:

@aujeff11 look at our boy! Haha. 

@WarDamnEagleWDE any word on Joey’s attitude? I want to say that it was questioned last year (I may have made that up). 

From what I can tell from reading some articles Gatewood has sucessfully been derecruited. Broken down for the come up.  Lost his jersey number and everything and never left. That he hasn’t entered the portal (at least yet) is huge news. I hope Gatewood can continue to make progress with his passing game. He was a one read QB at Bartam Trails but that can get better. 

One thing we need to let go is Cam. He may not develop into a QB like Cam. He may have a similar build, but may develop closer to a Dak or a Fitzgerald, or even as far as a Mahomes. 

1 hour ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Well I know you are well connected and all so you know your stuff. I just disagree. After watching him through HS, Nix is a much better passer and complete quarterback and he is only a freshman. Gatewood is a superior athlete overall. 

That is what makes this place fun - a lot of differing opinions.

Either way we should be fine with joey or bo in the future. I would be shocked if Willis is the man. 

1 hour ago, keesler said:

The highlighted part is why CGM will use abundant caution and go with the guy he trusts the most who has experience, a long relationship with his teammates and who knows the ropes.  He's not about to let the last straw break his back with a green, inexperienced QB behind the wheel.

JMO

That is the very reason I feel that he KNOWS that he needs to start the most talented. He cant afford to start the less talented familiar face. The two point conversion attempt vs UDub and the safety given up against Alabama State will weigh heavily on his mind...as they should. 

I expect Willis to start Spring as QB1 and even though no starter will be named, he will not be at the top at the end of Spring. It would not surprise me to see Willis drop to 3rd on the depth chart and transfer before the season. I love Willis. He puts his body through incredible difficult situations for Auburn University. He will always hold a place in my heart for that reason alone. But the fact that he is a Jr and will most likely be dropped behind a RSF Gatewood and TF Bo Nix will most likely lead to a transfer. 

I could be wrong. Willis COULD excel in the Spring and go through the entire season as a starter leading us to the national championship. But then again, Bama COULD decide to come clean admit they have cheated and lost institutional control. 

Neither seem very likely.

#TeamGatewood

As I have been quoted many times, by important people  (yes I made that up),  the best thing for Auburn would be for Joey to play game one against Oregon and Bo to get a shot as the starter in game 2.   

Assuming both are vying for the starting role of course...

Why?   Joey can take the hits from bigger, mature D lineman than Bo will face.   I suspect both QBs will get dirty as the new O Line finds it's way.

Then we have a cupcake in game 3 for the staff to make a final decision.    

This gives Auburn the best shot of finding the best QB and not getting a younger Bo broken if the OL stinks it up the first game.    And, it gives them both a legit shot against real opponents.  

44 minutes ago, Beaker said:

As I have been quoted many times, by important people  (yes I made that up),  the best thing for Auburn would be for Joey to play game one against Oregon and Bo to get a shot as the starter in game 2.   

Assuming both are vying for the starting role of course...

Why?   Joey can take the hits from bigger, mature D lineman than Bo will face.   I suspect both QBs will get dirty as the new O Line finds it's way.

Then we have a cupcake in game 3 for the staff to make a final decision.    

This gives Auburn the best shot of finding the best QB and not getting a younger Bo broken if the OL stinks it up the first game.    And, it gives them both a legit shot against real opponents.  

This is why I disagree with this assessment...Gatewood is always going to be bigger and take more hits than Nix just off of pure size. How fair would the evaluation be if Joey plays game 1 against a formidable opponent and then Bo goes against a much lesser opponent in game 2? Also, you set Nix up for failure because now he is playing against far less talent than he will see once the SEC schedule rolls around. You've already handicapped him by not allowing him to face Oregon. Now,  you are going to suggest that he will be ready to play against the Aggies AT college station based on how he did against Tulane and possibly kent state?

4 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Based on what? I know he is uber-athletic, but is he by far a better passer than the rest? This is what matters the most.

17 hours ago, auburnphan said:

No matter who the quarterback is, they need live reps and lots of them.  After months to prepare for spring ball our HC said he still does not know if the qb's will go live or not.

I'm sure he does, but ya gotta keep it secret!!!!!

4 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Unless he learns to be an effective passer, we'll be in as bad a shape with Gatewood as with Willis. If we're limited to RPO, screens and hail mary's, Gus will be coaching his last season here. 

Archived