Rod and Paula Bramblett Killed in Car Accident

• Replies 700
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you to everyone for sharing your thoughts and experiences, and to those who passed along all the kind words from around the web. 

Never met him but there are people in the public eye who you just know are exceedingly decent and who just make you feel better about things. Rod was one of those people and this really hurts. He definitely feels like family.

4 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Thank you to everyone for sharing your thoughts and experiences, and to those who passed along all the kind words from around the web. 

Never met him but there are people in the public eye who you just know are exceedingly decent and who just make you feel better about things. Rod was one of those people and this really hurts. He definitely feels like family.

As someone who met him, just your average person, your average student still finding their way. He was a great man and u could ask him advice on anything and he would tell you exactly like it is. Reminded me of my dad blessed that I was able to talk to him several times one on one for 30+ mins

2 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

As someone who met him, just your average person, your average student still finding their way. He was a great man and u could ask him advice on anything and he would tell you exactly like it is. Reminded me of my dad blessed that I was able to talk to him several times one on one for 30+ mins

And I have no doubt that all who crossed his path felt similar generosity and kindness from him. You can just tell he's a really great human being. I'm sorry to you and all who are feeling this loss even more acutely than those of us who weren't as lucky to know him.

2 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

Something happened. Rumor that the kid fell asleep. Maybe not. Maybe he was texting...

It's probably best that I don’t found out. Already had 2 posts axed today.

It's in the middle of Auburn during daylight  - no way he fell asleep unless he had a seizure. 

I used to live off of ware drive that intersects Shug. People speed so fast down Shug and there arent many lights so if you aren’t paying attention, it’s easy to read end someone turning. I hated that when I lived there. 

1 minute ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

I used to live off of ware drive that intersects Shug. People speed so fast down Shug and there arent many lights so if you aren’t paying attention, it’s easy to read end someone turning. I hated that when I lived there. 

Aren't there separate turn lanes in every direction at that intersection? 

1 hour ago, doc4aday said:

It is interesting in that the other day when my wife was driving me to chemo, I decided to count how many folks I saw talking on cell phones as well as texting. This was only a 34 mile trip from my home to Asheville, NC each way, and the number will get your attention quickly.  I saw 14 folks talking on their phones, and 7 that I am 99% certain were texting and driving. I thought for a moment of what would kill me sooner than the other, and texting or chemo.....texting won the day.

It 

Keep fighting brother. 

Prayers for Rod and Paula and all of their families and loved ones and the young person injured also. They will always be with us is thoughts. God Bless .

23 minutes ago, Sani-Freeze said:

Not if you’re going from Sanford where that shell is towards College. If you turn right at ware, you have to just slow down and hope the person behind you is paying attention.

18 hours ago, SCTiger2011 said:

Sleep isn't coming tonight. Don't let the academic title of the video disinterest you; it showcases Rod wonderfully and Professor Carvalho does a great job of letting Rod talk.  An Auburn man through and through. Mentions that since he stepped on campus in 1984, he lived in Auburn all but one year.  52 years old. Just keep thinking of how we've been instantly robbed of decades more of his greatness performing his craft..  A teenage boy and young woman have been robbed of decades more of Christmases, vacations, family dinners.

I pass by that intersection where the accident occurred multiple times a week.  It'll forever hold a different meaning to me.  RIP Rod and Paula.  May those close to them shower Josh and Shelby with love and support in the coming days, weeks, and years.

Thank you for sharing this. I know John and even though I never met Rod I always felt like I knew him, personally. I can't even watch the video, yet. This week, after it all sets in....

I just found out about this devastating news, what a terrible tragedy. May God comfort his family in their time of need. RIP Rod and Paula.

12 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

Rod was definitely one of a kind. I'll remember his calls forever with some of the greatest games we've ever seen.  When your passion for what you do meets at a cross roads with your God given talent, it really does become something special. You could hear the excitement in his voice every time.
God bless you Rod and War Eagle buddy!

9 hours ago, johnnyAU said:

When your passion for what you do meets at a cross roads with your God given talent, it really does become something special.

This is true on every level.  The only greater ingredient is when you mix in sincere humility, which Rod Bramblett had in spades.  One of the great things about him is the way he assumed his role when Jim Fyffe passed away, not sure it could have been handled with any more class and dignity.

So sad to hear this very bad news. Been busy with work and just now getting to post. Rod was a Auburn man through and through and will be greatly missed. I didn't think Jim could be replaced and he wasn't, but Rod was own man and did an outstanding job. Just like Rod following Jim the next man will have a lot to live up to. God Bless you and your family Rod may you rest in peace.

18 hours ago, SCTiger2011 said:

It really is an “easy” intersection, you’re right. Auburn has some dangerous intersections but there at Shug/Samford is not one of them. I’ve tried all day not to join the speculation parade and focus my posts on the tragic loss of life, but it’s so difficult right now. There’s definitely some anger in my grief right now, but I keep telling myself speculation is not fact. And whatever ends up being the cause isn’t going to be able to be fixed, no matter what. Drove by there after lunch to see if there was a makeshift memorial or anything set up and there’s still some vehicle debris littering the side. It was a really eerie scene and I wish I hadn’t done it to be honest.

Hearing unsubstantiated reports that there might be a public funeral in the Arena. If there is, I’ll be there, but I hope it’s with full support of the family. Those kids are probably already so overwhelmed, I just want them to have the chance to mourn their parents how they wish, and if a large public spectacle puts extra anxiety on them, I’d be fine with a public memorial service at a later date 

I was thinking the stadium would fit the amount of people desiring to see his send off better, but it’s going to be ridiculously hot I suppose 

I think kids under the age of 18 should have to complete a course in phone safety before they are allowed to have a cell phone. We did just fine prior to cell phones and the roads were so much safer. I think kids should see a video with no punches pulled that show victims of car accident that involved cell phone usage. Show all of the ugly blood and bodily damage to folks endured due to irresponsible cell phone usage. You need to scare the crap out of them not just once, but multiple times so they can see first hand just how dangerous cell phones can be and are.

I lost a first cousin about a year ago in an accident where the other driver was  distracted due to using his cell phone and ran a red light and hit my cousin head on going 65 mph. The driver using his cell phone is now paralyzed from the waist down.  Kids need to have the crap scared out of them and pull no punches with getting the message across of the dangers of cell phone usage and driving. 

18 hours ago, Sani-Freeze said:

There is now. It’s about 4 years old if that. 

We had to watch all the bloody, gory driver's ed films when I was in school and it made little in any difference in how we drove. No gore movie is going to stop kids from using cell phones and driving for the most part. I'm not saying don't try, it might influence a few kids. 

What we need is a cell phone nanny type app that disables texting and internet features when the unit is moving more than a certain speed as detected by the gps feature of the unit. There would need to be a way to disable it if you aren't the driver,  if possible.

I do feel for the kid responsible, most of us could have had a similar incident at some point in our life, but got lucky. That time you drove off the edge of the road while distracted, but fortunately there was no one there to hit. That time you nodded off while driving at 4am but came right back to your senses before anything bad happened. I personally drove drunk once in my life and am so fortunate nothing happened. I was out of it! I had a strict policy never to drink and drive, but there was no one else to drive and I made a very intoxicated decision that someone had to drive.  :(

30 minutes ago, doc4aday said:

I think kids under the age of 18 should have to complete a course in phone safety before they are allowed to have a cell phone. We did just fine prior to cell phones and the roads were so much safer. I think kids should see a video with no punches pulled that show victims of car accident that involved cell phone usage. Show all of the ugly blood and bodily damage to folks endured due to irresponsible cell phone usage. You need to scare the crap out of them not just once, but multiple times so they can see first hand just how dangerous cell phones can be and are.

I lost a first cousin about a year ago in an accident where the other driver was  distracted due to using his cell phone and ran a red light and hit my cousin head on going 65 mph. The driver using his cell phone is now paralyzed from the waist down.  Kids need to have the crap scared out of them and pull no punches with getting the message across of the dangers of cell phone usage and driving. 

When I worked EMS we ran a lot of MVAs involving 16-18 year olds prior to smartphones. That age group has always had an elevated risk with it. Phones just added another element of diverted attention. DUIs and fast driving were the big items back then. At one time Wren High School in Anderson County, SC had 11 teenage deaths over a two year period as a result of fast driving. Most of them were single car incidents. 

Keep the young lady and her family in your thoughts and prayers as well. They might just be Auburn Family as well and this will sting for years to come. 

4 hours ago, doc4aday said:

Sorry to hear about your cousin. Unfortunately the education class probably wouldn't eliminate it but it would be nice if it reduced the insurance rate upon completion. 

There are phone apps for parents to block texting while their child is driving and it is supposed to send them a message if it is ever turned off or overridden or something like that. Also I remember a Shark Tank episode where some teenagers were trying to get a deal for a steering wheel that alarmed when both hands weren't on the wheel. Unfortunately they got no investment and 5 years later there is still no such steering wheel. Too bad an auto maker hasn't done that already. It's a great idea. 

Bits and pieces are beginning to corroborate each other around Auburn regarding how it happened, and it’s even more senseless to me now. Sad. Angry. Crushed 

Bits and pieces such as... ? As mentioned above, ' texting ' or ' falling asleep ' are vastly different things. 

Which way are these 'bits and pieces ' leaning ? Or was it something else ? 

Archived