2020 3* SG Justin Powell Commits to AU!

16 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

Lol, I just listed white athlete stereotypes, no need for film, he has these skills!!

Ahhh ok gotcha. I was thinking maybe my phone messed up and a video wasn't loading for me 😂

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, auburnphan said:

I see a gym rat, lunch pail guy, with a high motor, who is heady and has a high basketball IQ, with intangibles and plays the game the right way.  He also has deceptive speed, is sneaky athletic, and a grinder.  He gets the most out of his abilities, has a lot of heart and is the kind of guy you want your daughter to date.  Comps Mike Miller, Chris Mullen, Dan Majerle, Mark Price, Jeff Hornicek, Tim Legler, Steve Kerr and Kyle Korver.     

Larry Bird?

On 6/8/2019 at 8:50 AM, auburnphan said:

I see a gym rat, lunch pail guy, with a high motor, who is heady and has a high basketball IQ, with intangibles and plays the game the right way.  He also has deceptive speed, is sneaky athletic, and a grinder.  He gets the most out of his abilities, has a lot of heart and is the kind of guy you want your daughter to date.  Comps Mike Miller, Chris Mullen, Dan Majerle, Mark Price, Jeff Hornicek, Tim Legler, Steve Kerr and Kyle Korver.     

Man that does sound like what everybody would say about stidhamand SW 

don't sell this kid short just because he is a white boy, this guy is a basketball player....the "white men can't jump" label doesn't apply here with him....i've watched all of the video that i can find on him, and i am pretty damned impressed with his all around game....i am not going to make any predictions but i will not be surprised to see powell playing a very important role in the future of AU basketball, and it may even be off of the bench, ala malik dunbar

1 hour ago, doverstutts said:

don't sell this kid short just because he is a white boy, this guy is a basketball player....the "white men can't jump" label doesn't apply here with him....i've watched all of the video that i can find on him, and i am pretty damned impressed with his all around game....i am not going to make any predictions but i will not be surprised to see powell playing a very important role in the future of AU basketball, and it may even be off of the bench, ala malik dunbar

I think he could spend more time on plyometrics from what I saw.  He has put on some good muscle.  I like what I saw.

1 hour ago, doverstutts said:

don't sell this kid short just because he is a white boy

Don't think anyone's making that assessment FWIW.

1 hour ago, auburnphan said:

Not gonna bring the bird or pistol Pete expectations!

Reminds me of Shawn Bradley

2 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Reminds me of Shawn Bradley

Shawn Bradley with JJ Barea handles. 

Justin got solid jumps by Rivals & ESPN last week & now sits just outside the composite top 150.

39 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I was just talking about him in another thread

matt.gif

• 2 weeks later...

How Auburn basketball found 2020 commit Justin Powell

Auburn commit Justin Powell received his offer from Auburn nearly two years ago. He committed in early June of this year. (Courtesy of Justin Powell)

Auburn commit Justin Powell received his offer from Auburn nearly two years ago. He committed in early June of this year. (Courtesy of Justin Powell)

The first time that Auburn head coach Bruce Pearl saw Justin Powell, the future 2020 commit was virtually unknown and unrated, having just finished his freshman year of high school.

It was a back gym, “in the middle of nowhere” South Carolina, at an AAU event. Pearl came in just to watch. Powell suspects a couple good plays caught his eye, and Pearl told him he’d come back for another one of Powell’s games that night. He played even better that night, and a couple months later, Auburn became just Powell’s second Division I scholarship offer.

At the time, Powell was unknown. At the time, Auburn was an unknown too — still suffering through a 14-year NCAA Tournament drought.

Now, two years later, Powell is the top-rated prospect in the state of Kentucky. Auburn is fresh off a Final Four.

“We were talking about it when I was on my official visit,” Powell told AL.com. “That, you know, BP, he really liked me when I wasn’t as highly ranked, and I wasn’t up there as high. And I liked them when they weren’t really, when they were kinda struggling.”

Now, Powell said is firmly committed to the Tigers. Not even an offer from Kentucky, or Louisville — his hometown college — would change that fact, he said. 247Sports has him as the No. 34 shooting guard prospect in the country.

At 6-foot-5, and 180 pounds, he’s already the size of a college athlete with a full season still left at North Oldham High School in Goshen, Kentucky.

“I don’t know if people really know this about him, but he’s actually, he’s a great passer," said Powell’s HS coach, David Levitch. "He’s really a point guard. He’s more of a — I don’t really know what he is. He’s more of a one-two. He can play either. He’s gonna play point guard for me, but in college, he’ll do both.”

Powell eventually had offers from places like Cincinnati, Georgia Tech, Georgia and Tennessee. He even visited places like Purdue, Syracuse and Kentucky — all after the initial Auburn offer, per 247Sports. The coaching staff kept up with Powell over the last two years, with assistant coach Steven Pearl and interim assistant Chad Prewett continuing the recruiting efforts.

“It was mostly BP himself. I saw him four times, out of my five games in [An EYBL Tournament] in Atlanta,” Powell said. “And then the other game, there were two other coaches from the coaching staff there. They really showed interest in me, and that’s something that caught my eye.”

Powell said he’s a facilitator first on the court. He has honed in those skills after sitting out all of last season. He was previously playing at Montverde Academy in Florida. He said he transferred so he could be closer to home — but added that he doesn’t expect home sickness to be an issue at Auburn.

“I’ll have a lot more freedom when I go down to Alabama," Powell said, noting he’s been there twice prior on an official and unofficial visit, "and I’ll be able to play, have that college lifestyle. It’ll be pretty fun.”

Pearl has talked about being able to walk into the homes of recruits who are highly rated right now, off a spot in the Final Four. It’s allowed him to meet new faces of top-rated players.

That isn’t the case with Powell, though. Powell was a familiar face. A recruit they’d bet would get better. And that bet has paid off in the form of a sought-after prospect that’s coming to Auburn.

“He was the first school to offer," Powell said. "And after that, we kind of built a relationship, and you know, the recruiting process, no school in my opinion I felt as comfortable with as Auburn.”

I love the fact that he is a facilitator in addition to being a great shooter and scorer. Having a 6'5" guard who can bring the ball up the court when needed and who can see over defenders and pass over them to players down low is just another option Auburn will add to its repertoire. Over last few years we designed our offense over a super quick, fast PG (Harper) who could score from outside, drive and score and had great chemistry with a pure shooting SG (Brown) and added Okeke  who could beat his man in multiple ways and most all around player on the team. Now I see Pearl trying to get similar players Like Cooper for Harper and Powell for Brown, Okoro for Okeke but also players that bring different things allowing us to play multiple different styles. Bigger guards and forwards allow us to play zone better because of players reach and also allow us to play down low more than in the past. 

I see Auburn teams evolving keeping the same basketball philosophy and style but adding pieces that will allow us to do different thing both on Offense and Defense. I know some are saying Okoro will be one and done but if he stays a second year and develops like Okeke with the players who will be around him this year and what looks like a great class coming in next year we could easily be a top 4 team in 2 years.

• 4 months later...

I keep watching videos that are available on him. When he has the ball his head is on a swivel he sees other players. When he drives he sees other players and feeds them he goes to the rack and can put the ball up with either hand, he shields the ball with his body to keep it  from being blocked and he pulls up and shoots a little jump shot  He has a sweet stroke and is effortless when shooting the three and he finds the open spot and makes himself available.  

He won't be your number one scorer but he will score points and facilitate others in scoring.  I think he is going to surprise a lot of people with how smooth he is and how well he handles the ball. Him, Sharife, and Okoro on floor at same time and we will have a heck of a scoring punch in addition his outside shooting will open up the floor for Okoro to drive or post up. This is assuming that Okoro stays at least 2 years..

21 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

I keep watching videos that are available on him. When he has the ball his head is on a swivel he sees other players. When he drives he sees other players and feeds them he goes to the rack and can put the ball up with either hand, he shields the ball with his body to keep it  from being blocked and he pulls up and shoots a little jump shot  He has a sweet stroke and is effortless when shooting the three and he finds the open spot and makes himself available.  

He won't be your number one scorer but he will score points and facilitate others in scoring.  I think he is going to surprise a lot of people with how smooth he is and how well he handles the ball. Him, Sharife, and Okoro on floor at same time and we will have a heck of a scoring punch in addition his outside shooting will open up the floor for Okoro to drive or post up. This is assuming that Okoro stays at least 2 years..

I dont think theres any chance we get Isaac back with how his trajectory is going this year. BUT, Sharife may be able to work magic. Like a 1% chance of that though. 

Sharife-Powell-Flanigan-Okoro lineups would have incredible spacing though

• 1 month later...

Archived