Gus On Playing Fast

aubiefifty

"When I got to Auburn in 2009, we were the only team playing fast.
Now when you look around, EVERYONE is playing fast....even the ones that had 'health issues'..."

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

"When I got to Auburn in 2009, we were the only team playing fast.
Now when you look around, EVERYONE is playing fast....even the ones that had 'health issues'..."

He should finish the quote by saying everyone is now playing fast except us.

he said we would be up tempo again this year.

• ellitor changed the title to Gus On Playing Fast
1 hour ago, aubiefifty said:

he said we would be up tempo again this year.

Easier said than done. Pace is based on first downs for us. Got to have them and good yardage gained on first downs. 

A one yard run on first down v LSU and we will be back to protecting the defense.

29 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Easier said than done. Pace is based on first downs for us. Got to have them and good yardage gained on first downs. 

A one yard run on first down v LSU and we will be back to protecting the defense.

And it takes experience to get the O lines up properly and ready for the next play, someone neither QB has. I don’t think we see HUNH for the first 4-5 games as it’s always been for Gus. He needs time to figure out what his QB is capable of executing before he puts the pedal down. 

What made Gus’s uptempo especially deadly in 2013 was the ability to line up and run about 5 different plays with the same look.  Freeze the linebackers and make them guess who is getting the ball.  You throw in play action long bombs to keep the safeties back and Gus will be riding high.

Gus has said he is going to get back to playing fast since the 2015 season.  Againts teams like Liberty and mad Ole Miss teams we see it. Against UGA, LSU, Bama we don't.  Guess we wil wait and see if he does it for 12 whole games this season.

18 minutes ago, ToomersStreet said:

Gus has said he is going to get back to playing fast since the 2015 season.  Againts teams like Liberty and mad Ole Miss teams we see it. Against UGA, LSU, Bama we don't.  Guess we wil wait and see if he does it for 12 whole games this season.

In his defense Gus hasn’t ran the offense since 2015. Against Purdue, which is a better opponent than some of the teams we’ve struggled to over those three years, they went pretty darn fast

20 minutes ago, ToomersStreet said:

Competition is totally different from teams like Liberty and Ole Miss to GA, Clemson and uat. CGM needs to learn to adapt when the other team stops your 1st, 2nd and 3rd options. Easier said then done. Only a few coaches have this ability, CGM isn't there just yet 

1 hour ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

In his defense Gus hasn’t ran the offense since 2015. Against Purdue, which is a better opponent than some of the teams we’ve struggled to over those three years, they went pretty darn fast

So this reminds me of a time I was hunting the Loch Ness Monster with the Easter Bunny, then a UFO came in and blocked my shot..........................

4 minutes ago, ToomersStreet said:

So this reminds me of a time I was hunting the Loch Ness Monster with the Easter Bunny, then a UFO came in and blocked my shot..........................

InexperiencedHomelyAlabamamapturtle-small.gif

Q. Coach, I know you talked a lot about the difference between the offense you may have run last year and then you taking over play calling duties again this year. I heard you talk a lot about pounding the ball, really placed an emphasis on the run game, draw safety in, vertical over the top play action, how important is the intermediate pass game in the offense that you plan to run this year?

GUS MALZAHN: It really a lot of times depends how defenses are playing. In this league, if you're going to win a championship, you have to be able to run the football effectively, and you have to get where they're rolling an extra safety down, and then you got one-on-ones on the outside.

Our philosophy is run the football and throw it deep. And whatever the defense gives us, that's what we should be able to do. That's really the corps and playing fast. We're getting back to really playing fast. You look back, I guess 2009, my first year at Auburn, we were playing fast. I don't know. I think we were one of the few, if the only team, playing fast. Other teams were griping and all this. And now everybody is playing fast. Even the ones that had health issues and all that, they're all playing fast.

Gus isn't changing.  He has no desire to develop  an intermediate passing game or  utilize the  TE.   Nothing will change and neither will  the results.

Good article last week suggested missing on Kelly Bryant to give Joey & Nix a year of seasoning may have been the proverbial straw breaking camel's back. Having to pick from a rs & true frosh QB with THIS schedule in a year when something "special" is demanded? Tough row to hoe.

36 minutes ago, ToomersStreet said:

Q. Coach, I know you talked a lot about the difference between the offense you may have run last year and then you taking over play calling duties again this year. I heard you talk a lot about pounding the ball, really placed an emphasis on the run game, draw safety in, vertical over the top play action, how important is the intermediate pass game in the offense that you plan to run this year?

GUS MALZAHN: It really a lot of times depends how defenses are playing. In this league, if you're going to win a championship, you have to be able to run the football effectively, and you have to get where they're rolling an extra safety down, and then you got one-on-ones on the outside.

Our philosophy is run the football and throw it deep. And whatever the defense gives us, that's what we should be able to do. That's really the corps and playing fast. We're getting back to really playing fast. You look back, I guess 2009, my first year at Auburn, we were playing fast. I don't know. I think we were one of the few, if the only team, playing fast. Other teams were griping and all this. And now everybody is playing fast. Even the ones that had health issues and all that, they're all playing fast.

Gus isn't changing.  He has no desire to develop  an intermediate passing game or  utilize the  TE.   Nothing will change and neither will  the results.

Actually. That would be changing some. We haven't gone fast since Muschamp scared it out of Gus when he was here.

2 hours ago, ellitor said:

Actually. That would be changing some. We haven't gone fast since Muschamp scared it out of Gus when he was here.

Well when defenses are constantly moving and secondaries constantly changing up coverages it is better that a quarterback gets defenses blocking schemes and coverages down before trying to move fast. 

An example of this is in the Tn game.  Stidham did read blitz on a screen pass and read linebacker coverage of the back. Upon snap the blitz hurried him he saw the linebacker back and thought his back was opened but the corner had rolled down to cover the back resulting in an interception.  So better to recognize the D instead of going fast.

Nice he went fast in the Purdue game.

Unfortunately, here is the conversation between Gus & Chip late in the first half of the bammer game.

u4fdKCX_d.jpg

10 hours ago, aucanucktiger said:

Good article last week suggested missing on Kelly Bryant to give Joey & Nix a year of seasoning may have been the proverbial straw breaking camel's back. Having to pick from a rs & true frosh QB with THIS schedule in a year when something "special" is demanded? Tough row to hoe.

Even if we got Kelly he wasn't gonna save us from the inevitable.

On a similar point of playing fast.  OR was one of the first to go fast and their fast blew away Gus fast.   They maintained it longer than AU did as well,  although I do not know if they still are lightning speed.   

On 7/20/2019 at 3:05 PM, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Gus ran the offense until 2016 when he was forced to nudge his buddy Lashlee out the door. There was a reason for that... And that wasnt because he was successful.

Below isnt directed at you DTR

Also its absurd to suggest that the offense since 2017 was all on Lindsey. Strangely, Lindseys offense at Southern Miss looked nothing like the crap show we saw in 2018. Likewise his offense at Arizona State looked nothing like his offense here. 

The ONLY reason Gus Malzahn was hired as our hc was for his offensive coaching ability & promise and back then his bread & butter was his subjective (i.e. non-delegatable) judgment re WHEN to go fast or not. He had virtually no track record as a head coach. To suggest the muddled combo of MalLindsey or MalLashlee represents Gus at his best is odd. That was foisted on him b/c of the Jax State scare and butthurt residue from tge previous season (which was actually pretty durn good). To not be extremely re-encouraged by what he laid on Purdue is bizarre (or maybe lacking objectivity b/c he's already out the door in the minds of some). He will now get to sink or swim on the skills that put him in our driver's seat, something Chizik delegated at defense and never took back.

6 hours ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

Gus ran the offense until 2016 when he was forced to nudge his buddy Lashlee out the door. There was a reason for that... And that wasnt because he was successful.

Below isnt directed at you DTR

Also its absurd to suggest that the offense since 2017 was all on Lindsey. Strangely, Lindseys offense at Southern Miss looked nothing like the crap show we saw in 2018. Likewise his offense at Arizona State looked nothing like his offense here. 

Gus is not moving the team forward. When he hired lindsey who had only one year of experience as an OC at a school in a Power 5 conference.  He was forced to conduct a search and he interviewed I believe at least 4 prospects that were far more qualified than Lindsey but he still hired lindsey.  I dont know whether its arrogance or fear that keeps Gus from hiring a highly qualified OC.

On 7/20/2019 at 1:11 PM, Win4AU said:

What made Gus’s uptempo especially deadly in 2013 was the ability to line up and run about 5 different plays with the same look.  Freeze the linebackers and make them guess who is getting the ball.  You throw in play action long bombs to keep the safeties back and Gus will be riding high.

What made Gus's uptempo offense so deadly in 2013 was Nick Marshall running it. Kid was elite. Plus the "new" factor of that offense. Moving forward offenses like the 2013 have to be move multiple. Can't just line up and run a read offense like we did in 2013 anymore. The good DC can shut them down pretty effectivly now. See if Gus can make that transition this year.

I'd like to see the 2017 A&M, uga and bama O this year with some of the 2013 thrown in with Gatewood running it. IMO.

Archived