biggest concern for the first game?

gr82b4au

3 hours ago, oracle79 said:

Gus trying to be a genius against their defense. Don't want to see a lot of subs trying to get perfect personnel in the situation. Don't want to see a lot of Meerkating to the sidelines while Gus tries to figure out the perfect play against defensive formation. Don't run the same frick'in play when we go hurry up. Don't let off the gas if we get up early.  Go ahead and script the 2nd half plays also so you don't have to worry about it at halftime...lol.

Amen!

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, 80Tiger said:

Their QB is good. He can be very accurate and seems to be very good at check downs to backs out of the backfield.

Good thing is that’s the only healthy position he has to throw to. Other posters alluded to it, but we should be able to kill em if we can trust guys to play zone, especially in the flats 

2 hours ago, NorthGATiger said:

My 2nd biggest concern going into this game is looking unprepared. Nothing and I mean nothing makes me want to kick the dog worse than coming out and looking like it is the first time we have ran the plays.  To add to this, and this is when I do kick the dog, is when we have ZERO answer offensively or defensively to what the other team is doing.  A team can gouge us to death or stone cold stop us and we will just keep running the same plays and defense no matter what without an answer.  Its almost like if it isn't on the play sheet then it can't be called.  This isn't limited to just Gus.  Steele has been known to try to break peoples hands with his face as well.

:bow:

23 hours ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

To me the biggest concern is Gus calling plays. 

I don't care what anyone says... Gus didn't give up playcalling duties (at all really but even if he did it wasnt) because we had been having success with him calling plays. 

I hope Gus gets back his mojo he lost after the 2014 A&M game and becomes the dynamic playcaller he was as an OC. As I am about the OL, I don't believe it for an instant. I hope he can, but he will need to show me.

This 1,000%! I need a full body of work (entire season) to believe the lip service. I've fallen for the "change" mantra too many times with Gus; only to be highly dissapointed the next game or two where we look like the bad news bears of football on offense. Therefore, I'm giving him the entire season to see if this season will really be different. I sincerely hope and pray the "change" does take place but I can't fully buy into it until i see it on a regular basis. 

20 hours ago, CodeRocket said:

3) DL and linebackers not stopping the Oregon running game

This. 

Some perhaps are underestimating how good Oregon’s OL and RBs are. We did an excellent job limiting UW’s running game last season. Gaskin had one of his worst games of the season. If we repeat that performance, it’s a dubya. 

My biggest concern is that Bo could make some kind of big mistake early on...an INT or fumble that could shake his confidence.   JMO but if he has a good first series....several first downs or even better with no mishaps, then AU should be in for a good night of football.

6 minutes ago, AU64 said:

My biggest concern is that Bo could make some kind of big mistake early on...an INT or fumble that could shake his confidence.   JMO but if he has a good first series....several first downs or even better with no mishaps, then AU should be in for a good night of football.

I’m not concerned about an early turnover shaking up Nix. Confidence and maturity are two of his greater strengths. 

20 minutes ago, Viper said:

This. 

Some perhaps are underestimating how good Oregon’s OL and RBs are. We did an excellent job limiting UW’s running game last season. Gaskin had one of his worst games of the season. If we repeat that performance, it’s a dubya. 

Maybe I'm alone in this thinking but I think Oregon's QB and OL is a bit overhyped. I watched a lot of Pac12 last year which was horrible. I recall watching Oregon against Stanford(L), Washington(W) and Utah(L). Those teams were the most physical in the Pac12 last year and likely will be this year. Stanford wasn't even up to par last year as previous years and they lost to them. However, Stanford will always be tough on defense. They even lost to Washington ST. and Arizona who are certainly not known for their defense. 

Anytime Oregon faced a physcial team their QB and OL struggled....ie similar to Tua against a good defense. I think Herbert is a good solid QB but his issues wasn't all attributed to WRs drops as analysts like to mention. Teams that put consistent pressure on him give him issues. He's mobile but not Bo or Joey mobile. 

As long our D stays strong with our assignments i think the Dline will be fine. I still think Oregon's OL is a bit undersized and unexperienced to handle a top SEC defense but they are certainly taking on the mold of what Cristabol wants in a physical OL. 

• WarTiger changed the title to biggest concern for the first game?
On 8/26/2019 at 6:04 PM, Maverick.AU said:

Been debating if I need to slowly stock up everyday, just in case lol

Funny I just bought two bottles of vodka today. Win or lose, always booze my friend (although it’s a lot more fun when you win) 😎

1 hour ago, WarEagle1983 said:

Maybe I'm alone in this thinking but I think Oregon's QB and OL is a bit overhyped. I watched a lot of Pac12 last year which was horrible. I recall watching Oregon against Stanford(L), Washington(W) and Utah(L). Those teams were the most physical in the Pac12 last year and likely will be this year. Stanford wasn't even up to par last year as previous years and they lost to them. However, Stanford will always be tough on defense. They even lost to Washington ST. and Arizona who are certainly not known for their defense. 

Anytime Oregon faced a physcial team their QB and OL struggled....ie similar to Tua against a good defense. I think Herbert is a good solid QB but his issues wasn't all attributed to WRs drops as analysts like to mention. Teams that put consistent pressure on him give him issues. He's mobile but not Bo or Joey mobile. 

As long our D stays strong with our assignments i think the Dline will be fine. I still think Oregon's OL is a bit undersized and unexperienced to handle a top SEC defense but they are certainly taking on the mold of what Cristabol wants in a physical OL. 

LT-349 LG-316 C-297 RG-314 RT-316 

Definitely not undersized by any means. Maybe not experienced for an SEC defense but this line has a combined 153 starts. That is a lot of time to become a cohesive unit. Don’t get me wrong I think our D line will cause issues but this is going to be one of the best offensive lines we see all season. 

9 hours ago, oracle79 said:

Gus trying to be a genius against their defense. Don't want to see a lot of subs trying to get perfect personnel in the situation. Don't want to see a lot of Meerkating to the sidelines while Gus tries to figure out the perfect play against defensive formation. Don't run the same frick'in play when we go hurry up. Don't let off the gas if we get up early.  Go ahead and script the 2nd half plays also so you don't have to worry about it at halftime...lol.

l4Epa5nQwG908o4sE.gif

3 hours ago, tbone1430 said:

LT-349 LG-316 C-297 RG-314 RT-316 

Definitely not undersized by any means. Maybe not experienced for an SEC defense but this line has a combined 153 starts. That is a lot of time to become a cohesive unit. Don’t get me wrong I think our D line will cause issues but this is going to be one of the best offensive lines we see all season. 

They're still not use to a physical defense like the SEC. This why they lost to a bad Stanford team and a physical defense like Utah. Utah is ranked with our defense and this is the same Oregon OL from last year. The same OL that lost to Arizona..badly 44-15. The same And to Washington St who's certainly not known for defense 34-20. 

The size is getting there but I still don't believe they can handle a physical D-line b/c i didn't see it last year against those physical teams. We shall see but I still think they are overhyped.  Yes, they are probably the top OL in the Pac12 but that's not excatly saying a lot since the Pac12 probably will not be represented again in the playoffs and they are no where near talented as a conference as they use to be. 

I'm not saying we're going to blow them out but do i believe we should win by at least 10...yes. 

28 minutes ago, WarEagle1983 said:

They're still not use to a physical defense like the SEC. This why they lost to a bad Stanford team and a physical defense like Utah. Utah is ranked with our defense and this is the same Oregon OL from last year. The same OL that lost to Arizona..badly 44-15. The same And to Washington St who's certainly not known for defense 34-20. 

The size is getting there but I still don't believe they can handle a physical D-line b/c i didn't see it last year against those physical teams. We shall see but I still think they are overhyped.  Yes, they are probably the top OL in the Pac12 but that's not excatly saying a lot since the Pac12 probably will not be represented again in the playoffs and they are no where near talented as a conference as they use to be. 

I'm not saying we're going to blow them out but do i believe we should win by at least 10...yes. 

The closest thing they saw to the talent on our defense last year was Michigan State.  Oregon scored 7 points in that game.  Sorry, I'm just not sold on their offense as something to be scared of come Saturday night.

2 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

The closest thing they saw to the talent on our defense last year was Michigan State.  Oregon scored 7 points in that game.  Sorry, I'm just not sold on their offense as something to be scared of come Saturday night.

You're right. Forgot about the bowl game. Mich. St. only scored 6 points. lol. Game was horrible...that's probably why i forgot about it. Michigan St. is like a LSU twin often times in that if they had a good consistent offense they'd contend more. I think Lewerke was injured a lot last year though. 

We shall see but if we don't get consistent pressure on them..then i'm going to be concerned. I could be certainly wrong but i think they'd struggle with most SEC defenses. 

3 minutes ago, WarEagle1983 said:

You're right. Forgot about the bowl game. Mich. St. only scored 6 points. lol. Game was horrible...that's probably why i forgot about it. Michigan St. is like a LSU twin often times in that if they had a good consistent offense they'd contend more. I think Lewerke was injured a lot last year though. 

We shall see but if we don't get consistent pressure on them..then i'm going to be concerned. I could be certainly wrong but i think they'd struggle with most SEC defenses. 

I watch a lot of MSU (wife is a grad).  Their defense is legit, but you're right, Lewerke was awful for much of last season.  I think they are the sleeper in the Big 10 this year though.

I'm not too worried about pressure.  Washington touted how big some of their o linemen were last year and we did fine.  I think it's the size/speed combo up the middle that will give Oregon fits.

1 hour ago, WarEagle1983 said:

I’m not saying we're going to blow them out but do i believe we should win by at least 10...yes. 

And I agree with you there I called it 27-17 i think on predictions. And I know they don’t face defenses like ours week in and out. However we also got embarrassed last year by Moo st. and Tennessee even with our defense as good as it was. All I was trying to say is I don’t think it’s a foregone conclusion that our defensive line dominates their O line but I sure hope they do come game time. 

Just keep everybody healthy, avoid injuries and we should be fine.  Leaving for Dallas in a few hours, ready for the season to begin.

It’s the first game of the year, so honestly I’m concerned about everything!

Some of the biggest concerns....

OL

Gus’ playcalling

Are our WRs all hype, or will they deliver?

Will we see a true rotation at RB?

Young, athletic LBs over pursuing, getting lost

DL believing the hype, playing cocky

Steele on the sidelines instead of the booth where he’s been for the last 100 years.  

And there’s more.  Hahaha!  1st games against solid competition makes me nervous.  

QBs - please Gus, don't throw JG in right at the goal line and then only let him run a zone-read. Either keep BN in or let JG run the full offense.

RBs - not too worried here. We have a ridiculous stable right now and I really trust Caddy to have a feel for rotating them.

HBs - I just hope we actually use JJ to his maximum potential. If he has 8+ targets then we'll keep their defense on their toes.

WRs - We know the talent is there but the route running/play calling has to be there too. Hoping this group shows out.

OL - I know we have all seniors here, I know they improved towards the end of the year, but we need them to be all-conference level to help out BN

DL - We sorely missed a Dee Ford/Carl Lawson/Corey Lemonier/Jeff Holland level pass rush in 2018. Someone has to be that guy. They should be excellent run stuffers if nothing else.

LB - having a freshman starting is always going to lead to some mistakes. I do feel confident about our rotation between Britt, McClain, Wooten, Pappoe, and apparently Coe

CB - I like the group we have and am excited about Smoke being a turnover force at CB

S - I like this group as well. Sherwood and Smoke aren't much of a drop-off from our starters here

K - Anders has to be more consistent this year. Maybe we don't ask him to kick 40+ unless we have to (starting out the year).

P - Siposs is tied down guys... meaning there's finally some ladies for the rest of us

KR - No problems here

PR - Not a fan of hearing there were a lot of drops. Though, they talked about Sip's punts being hard to catch.

14 hours ago, Viper said:

I’m not concerned about an early turnover shaking up Nix. Confidence and maturity are two of his greater strengths. 

I'm more concerned about it shaking Gus up. 

Archived