looking for new OL coach

GwillMac6

I need to see realistic names in here. I’ve seen Pugh we can all see that happening but who else? I don’t won’t to see names of guys we know wouldn’t come here. Next thing you know somebody’s gone say bring in Jason Garrett lol

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, fredst said:

Bill Taylor= player/coach

If the guy can play OL at 220-230 lbs at the sec level, who’s saying he can’t coach too!?!

1 minute ago, GwillMac6 said:

At this point Gus keeps falling backwards when hiring former AU players. It is the laziest possible hire but Twill is a great recruiter. Kodi is a good to really good recruiter and Caddy is off to a great start in crutin. So hey maybe that is the formula to stack as many former AU players as possible on staff. It seems to be working. Of course that is not even mentioning the OG RG who has a long history of being a great recruiter. It would be such a meh hire but I don't care as long as it works out.

It has been great for recruiting, problem is it leaves nobody in the offensive room who can call Gus on BS. He has gone to great lengths to make sure his O staff literally knows no better. 

Just now, AUght2win said:

It has been great for recruiting, problem is it leaves nobody in the offensive room who can call Gus on BS. He has gone to great lengths to make sure his O staff literally knows no better. 

Exactly. I agree with you. You know he isn't going to change course with this hire so just got to hope for the best possible recruiters at this point so something positive comes from it!!!

Thank the heavens. Hopefully this will not affect us trying to get Broderick Jones. Either way I feel like most anyone will be an upgrade. But I say that tongue in cheek because we will pull a JABA and hire someone Gus is familiar with and will be a yes man. 

10 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

At this point Gus keeps falling backwards in to good choices when making these hires in hiring former AU players. It is the laziest and most meh possible hire but I can't complain about the results. Twill is a great recruiter. Kodi is a good to really good recruiter and Caddy is off to a great start in crutin. So hey maybe that is the formula to stack as many former AU players as possible on staff. It seems to be working. *Knocks on wood*. Of course that is not even mentioning the OG RG who has a long history of being a great recruiter. It would be such a meh hire but I don't care as long as it works out.

Garner, check. TWill, check. 

Kodi, meh. He's just a different personality type, sometimes it jives with peeps and sometimes it doesn't. Some of the stuff he's pulled on the recruiting trail just makes you shake your head in disbelief. Co-OC and then Passing Game Coord? Yikes

Caddy, still too early to tell. Definitely trending more towards the TWill end of the spectrum than the Kodi end. 

We gotta have a legit DUDE come in and fix our OL mess, no more pussyfooting around. 

6 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

At this point Gus keeps falling backwards in to good choices when making these hires in hiring former AU players. It is the laziest and most meh possible hire but I can't complain about the results. Twill is a great recruiter. Kodi is a good to really good recruiter and Caddy is off to a great start in crutin. So hey maybe that is the formula to stack as many former AU players as possible on staff. It seems to be working. *Knocks on wood*. Of course that is not even mentioning the OG RG who has a long history of being a great recruiter. It would be such a meh hire but I don't care as long as it works out.

Only part of this post I disagree with is Kodi. As far as the coaching part, others have said their part and on recruiting he’s also been underwhelming according to some and that a lot of leg work has had to be done for him.

That being said, we are damn lucky to have the recruiters on staff that we do, or we’d probably be in an even bigger heap of trouble. Lol

7 minutes ago, Sizzle said:

I need to see realistic names in here. I’ve seen Pugh we can all see that happening but who else? I don’t won’t to see names of guys we know wouldn’t come here. Next thing you know somebody’s gone say bring in Jason Garrett lol

Kendall Simmons. I can see that as well. I know he's never been a coach but I think they were grooming him for this job.

1 minute ago, ValleyTiger said:

Kodi, meh. He's just a different personality type, sometimes it jives with peeps and sometimes it doesn't. Some of the stuff he's pulled on the recruiting trail just makes you shake your head in disbelief. Co-OC and then Passing Game Coord? Yikes

Caddy, still too early to tell. Definitely trending more towards the TWill end of the spectrum than the Kodi end. 

We gotta have a legit DUDE come in and fix our OL mess, no more pussyfooting around. 

Kodi had a rough start but he has been very good on the trail since the mobile fiasco. He is really coming in to his own with crutin. I don't get the complaints with his recruiting ability. His position is also the toughest to recruit to besides LP and he has done a admirable job I think.

1 minute ago, ValleyTiger said:

Kodi, meh. He's just a different personality type, sometimes it jives with peeps and sometimes it doesn't. Co-OC and then Passing Game Coord? Yikes

But pussyfootin' around is Gus's mo. Might as well call him Gustav Arthur Pussyfootin Malzahn. That or Fiddledickin. Would also be an excellent add on name choice. 

2 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Kendall Simmons. I can see that as well. I know he's never been a coach but I think they were grooming him for this job.

2 time SB champ & 1st round draft pick is a good start for a coaching career!

2 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

Only part of this post I disagree with is Kodi. As far as the coaching part, others have said their part and on recruiting he’s also been underwhelming according to some and that a lot of leg work has had to be done for him.

That being said, we are damn lucky to have the recruiters on staff that we do, or we’d probably be in an even bigger heap of trouble. Lol

Yah that was early on his tenure and I think people are still holding on to that with Kodi. It is not easy at all being the WR coach in a Gus Malzahn offense. Coaching it or recruiting for it. 

The narrative needs to change on burns because he deserves it.

https://247sports.com/Coach/Kodi-Burns-3780/

4 four 🌟 star commits this cycle.

3 minutes ago, ValleyTiger said:

Co-OC and then Passing Game Coord? Yikes

We had to give him those titles when he was hired from Arizona State. He had just been hired at ASU as RB coach. For him to make a lateral move to WR coach here, he was offered those "titles."

4 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Yep. 

Multiple Super Bowl rings. 

They speak for themselves...

7 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Yah that was early on his tenure and I think people are still holding on to that with Kodi. It is not easy at all being the WR coach in a Gus Malzahn offense. Coaching it or recruiting for it. 

I know we heard it a lot early on forsure, WDE for instance called him a bigger fraud than JB, and called his recruiting “meh” just in the past few days.

I’m not disagreeing with the point that it’s not easy being a WR coach in the Gus Malzahn O Bc that is completely valid. Just my opinion from other information I’ve gathered over his time here.

3 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Get the talent AND develop it. That'll change the book on Kodi. 

3 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

We had to give him those titles when he was hired from Arizona State. He had just been hired at ASU as RB coach. For him to make a lateral move to WR coach here, he was offered those "titles."

Yuck, we didn't HAVE to throw titles at an relatively new, unproven former letterman turned coach to improve his career path. That was Gus sweetening the pot for his yes man.

1 minute ago, Maverick.AU said:

I know we heard it a lot early on forsure, WDE for instance called him a bigger fraud than JB, and called his recruiting “meh” just in the past few days.

I’m not disagreeing with the point that it’s not easy being a WR coach in the Gus Malzahn O Bc that is completely valid. Just my opinion from other information I’ve gathered.

Hahaha yah WDE def is not a kodi fan. And I wasn't at first but he has got my attention with how he has consistently been able to bring in 4 star WR talent when we have no business in doing so. What him and muhhhh boy D Craig were and have been able to do when your handcuffed with this offense is impressive.

24 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Where do you get that Kodi is good at either coaching or recruiting?  I know it’s only your opinion, but how did you arrive at that conclusion? 

Just now, ValleyTiger said:

Get the talent AND develop it. That'll change the book on Kodi. 

Yuck, we didn't HAVE to throw titles at an relatively new, unproven former letterman turned coach to improve his career path. That was Gus sweetening the pot for his yes man.

The narrative would change on the "development" of our WRs if Gus would allow our offense to evolve and change.

2 minutes ago, imaolgatiger said:

Where do you get that Kodi is good at either coaching or recruiting?  I know it’s only your opinion, but how did you arrive at that conclusion? 

Lol read above. At least for the crutin part. Well for starters he has four 4 star commits this cycle. 

2 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

The narrative would change on the "development" of our WRs if Gus would allow our offense to evolve and change.

But it's also all Kodi knows as a former WR himself....

Kodi has done much better in both areas in my opinion over the past 2 seasons. Especially recruiting. Honestly....our OL and WR recruiting classes should be flipped flopped based off of our Offense scheme. We should be bringing in 4 and 5 star guys left and right on the OL and struggle to get quality depth guys even at WR based on usage. Kodi has earned his spot IMHO

Archived