Okay seriously.... a punter.

tigerbrotha12

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

Coby Neenan

This would seem like a no-brainer for me. Guy is from Dothan, is a grad-transfer, and has experience punting against D1 talent. Sure do need a punter....

@tigerbrotha12 We don’t have a scholarship to give him one. We’re full. Our punter will be Bo Nix or one of the 2 or 3 walk on’s we have. Also I don’t think he’s the guy you want. According to the Tulane website he did not play at all last season. In fact he did not play at all his entire career at punter at Tulane And only a few games as a place kicker. He’s definitely not the guy you want.

https://tulanegreenwave.com/sports/football/roster/coby-neenan/6441

The coaching staff has shown zero interest in signing or otherwise acquiring a punter this cycle. This tells me they are happy with what's already available on the team, whether it's Nix or one of the walkons isn't known, but they think we have it adequately covered.

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

The coaching staff has shown zero interest in signing or otherwise acquiring a punter this cycle. This tells me they are happy with what's already available on the team, whether it's Nix or one of the walkons isn't known, but they think we have it adequately covered.

Or they think we won’t be punting... hahaimage.gif

3 hours ago, ellitor said:

@tigerbrotha12 We don’t have a scholarship to give him one. We’re full. Our punter will be Bo Nix or one of the 2 or 3 walk on’s we have. Also I don’t think he’s the guy you want. According to the Tulane website he did not play at all last season. In fact he did not play at all his entire career at punter at Tulane And only a few games as a place kicker. He’s definitely not the guy you want. Please do better with research people.

https://tulanegreenwave.com/sports/football/roster/coby-neenan/6441

Ok, I am pulling an @ellitor and saying, "I'm not sure if this is sarcasm or not." If not, I'm scared.

16 minutes ago, jared52 said:

Ok, I am pulling an @ellitor and saying, "I'm not sure if this is sarcasm or not." If not, I'm scared.

It's not a bad idea., if Nix is a quality punter. We probably don't want him running downfield to make tackles but him taking the snap will always put a bit of doubt in the mind of the defense.

3 hours ago, ellitor said:

@tigerbrotha12 We don’t have a scholarship to give him one. We’re full. Our punter will be Bo Nix or one of the 2 or 3 walk on’s we have.

Is Bo Nix really that good or decent of a punter?  I have no idea.

25 minutes ago, jared52 said:

Not sarcasm at all.

5 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

Is Bo Nix really that good or decent of a punter?  I have no idea.

He’s decent. He punted in high school and he punted for us some last year.

Maybe Gus is adopting the Hal Mumme school of offense.

Just go for it!

Bo Nix would’ve been the number 1 rated punter out of high school if he would’ve went that route 

10 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

Bo Nix would’ve been the number 1 rated punter out of high school if he would’ve went that route 

Really? Do you mean if he had worked on it full time? I would say from what I have seen he is slightly above average. We are not going to waste a lot of his QB development time having him spend the time it takes to be a great kicker. I'm sure he has a good bit of potential but I hope we find someone else so he doesn't have to. Having Avg. punters can win and lose games. I will say though if it's just God given talent and doesn't waste a lot of time it would be great to have that threat every time they line up to punt. 

30 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

Huh? show me some stats on that please. That is hard to believe. Only stats I have seen is that he punted 2 times his senior year for about a 38 yard avg.

I hope that Bo is not our punter. One, I don't want our starting QB getting slammed on his leg, knee, etc while his punt is getting blocked. I don't want our starting QB getting hurt going down their for a tackle or blindsided by a block in a punt return. Last, if he is the punter I hope he has the leg to flip the field at times, or we could be in trouble w/ field position. I don't see him having that kind of leg. 

It is actually not a bad idea to have the punter be the QB as well. There is so many different schematic things you can do with that on fourth down, especially fourth and short. Also, do not use a scholarship on a punter unless he has Marquette King type of potential. 

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

He’s decent. He punted in high school and he punted for us some last year.

That could really be to our benefit then.  I just don't want Anders Carlson to do it.  I remember how much punting wore down Daniel Carlson when it came time to do long distance kicks.

13 minutes ago, DAG said:

It is actually not a bad idea to have the punter be the QB as well. There is so many different schematic things you can do with that on fourth down, especially fourth and short. Also, do not use a scholarship on a punter unless he has Marquette King type of potential. 

I feel like there was an important play last year where Bo lined up as a punter, maybe... :)

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

I feel like there was an important play last year where Bo lined up as a punter, maybe... :)

giphy.gif

I am curious...   Let's say that Bo Nix is an above average punter.  Is Gus possibly using this situation to put the screws to the rules committee that were talking about a new rule trying to not allow AU's punter & QB on field at same time?  

11 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Pffft. It only made 5 yards. 😀

17 minutes ago, LKEEL75 said:

I am curious...   Let's say that Bo Nix is an above average punter.  Is Gus possibly using this situation to put the screws to the rules committee that were talking about a new rule trying to not allow AU's punter & QB on field at same time?  

Saban really should be worrying about finding a FG kicker who can actually make kicks instead of how to change rules. It would have cut down on some of his frustrations. What's funny is that Gus keeps all of this kind of stuff in his vest pocket until he can use it against our biggest rival and it freaking works. That takes a patient man to do that and you know the players love that kind of thing. 

31 minutes ago, The Freak said:

Bo had 3 punts last year.  Averaged 37.3 yards.  Siposs avgd 43.8.

I feel like this is a neutral post that's just posting numbers, so I'm not trying to come at you, but that 6 yards or so can be colossal with how often our drives flame out in our own territory

57 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

Huh? show me some stats on that please. That is hard to believe. Only stats I have seen is that he punted 2 times his senior year for about a 38 yard avg.

I hope that Bo is not our punter. One, I don't want our starting QB getting slammed on his leg, knee, etc while his punt is getting blocked. I don't want our starting QB getting hurt going down their for a tackle or blindsided by a block in a punt return. Last, if he is the punter I hope he has the leg to flip the field at times, or we could be in trouble w/ field position. I don't see him having that kind of leg. 

Plus the fact that a DC with some edge to him gets a guaranteed bush league free shot at your starting QB? A 15 yard penalty is worth that, from a strategic perspective 

1 hour ago, steeleagle said:

Guess I should’ve put it in yellow font 

Archived