Thoughts?

bigbird

Sent to me earlier today.

Are we sure all these Texas state kids are who we want to build around? Not knocking the individual players but outside of QB or WR I'm not impressed with Texas talent. Very soft culture of football over the past 15-20 years especially at the high school level. This is just my coming from me but regardless of where we finish this recruiting cycle we will look back and say that 2021 class wasn't very good. IMO I would much rather focus on North Carolina, Virginia, and Maryland and get back to being the number 2 pick for Georgia players and the primary destination of Florida kids that want to get out of state.

I was saying I'm not that impressed with Texas players outside of QB and WR's. It is my opinion that Virginia, Maryland, and North Carolina play better brand of football then Texas high schools so higher ranked players in those states are better then higher ranked players in Texas. In other words I think Texas players are generally vastly overrated in general because they are soft and football culture in the state of Texas is finesse football now. It's why all the teams that recruit solely in Texas have a difficult time being worth a damn on defense.

So, do y'all agree or disagree?  Try and explain your position either way.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think this is an interesting take. We have seen some terrific players come out of North Carolina in the last decade. Not so sure Maryland is a great state for HS football. 

Overall, I still think Texas is a hotbed for great prospects. Many of the Universities in Texas have moved toward a more fun and gun approach. Univ of Texas has regressed, but they did teach UGA a lesson in a bowl game 2 years ago. Several other programs have improved, Baylor, Houston, TCU, SMU, Texas Tech. With the type of offense we run, we would do well to heavily go after Texas QB's and WR's every year. 

I definitely think the OL talent is there as well as LB, DB and DL talent. I think coaching once these kids get into college is an important factor in making these kids successful. Frankly, I think there is way more college talent in Texas than in NC, VA, and MD times 5, maybe times 10.

I'm not qualified to agree or disagree. I have heard that this is the case with Texas football, that it's all spread out and touchdown friendly and that's why UT football has been bad, etc. I have no idea to what extent that is true.

But here's my thing, and the guy even says it himself. He can't point to a specific Texas kid we've recruited and say that about him. Furthermore, we're talking almost exclusively about guys who throw and catch the football, so why would we care? The lone exception is Roberts, and I think everyone under the sun would be shocked if he turned out even remotely soft. (Never mind that we've recruited plenty of highly rated but soft OLs from some of the states he wants to focus on instead.) Unless I'm missing somebody, which is quite likely. 

As for Maryland, Virginia and North Carolina, I don't know much about them. Kris Frost was from NC but that was a lifetime ago. And I'm not sure it matters because our OC has serious ties in Texas, as does the QB he just landed. I'm not sure we've had any ties in the midcoastal region since Lance Thompson left. 

Hahaha. Texas had the most NFL draft picks of any state in 2020, beating the next best, California, by 10.

I'm not buying this take at all.

https://247sports.com/LongFormArticle/2020-NFL-Draft-which-states-had-the-most-players-picked-Texas-California-Florida-Georgia-146561006/#146561006_1

32 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Are we sure all these Texas state kids are who we want to build around? Not knocking the individual players but outside of QB or WR I'm not impressed with Texas talent. Very soft culture of football over the past 15-20 years especially at the high school level. This is just my coming from me but regardless of where we finish this recruiting cycle we will look back and say that 2021 class wasn't very good. IMO I would much rather focus on North Carolina, Virginia, and Maryland and get back to being the number 2 pick for Georgia players and the primary destination of Florida kids that want to get out of state.

I was saying I'm not that impressed with Texas players outside of QB and WR's. It is my opinion that Virginia, Maryland, and North Carolina play better brand of football then Texas high schools so higher ranked players in those states are better then higher ranked players in Texas. In other words I think Texas players are generally vastly overrated in general because they are soft and football culture in the state of Texas is finesse football now. It's why all the teams that recruit solely in Texas have a difficult time being worth a damn on defense.

I live here in ACC country, and that fella above hasn't a clue of what he speaks.  High school ball up here in the Mid Atlantic can't compete with Texas high school football. 

Nope, I'm not buying what he is selling.

billy bob thornton says tejas ball is not soft....lol.  in honesty i have not a clue. and bird today you liked me three times. i fell out.lol i agree we needed some auburn football to talk about.

That was CorchJay's post on SECRant a few days ago and hardly anybody agreed with him.  I made a similar, albeit less strong and articulated, post a couple of months ago.  Based on the play of Texas and TAMU over the last 15 years there is the perception that recruits from that state are pampered and soft.  Maybe that's fine for certain positions, but we've had such great success in GA, AL, FL, and MS - getting those kinds of blue collar players that play mean and nasty, like they have something to prove. 

7 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

we've had such great success in GA, AL, FL, and MS - getting those kinds of blue collar players that play mean and nasty, like they have something to prove. 

Not on the offensive line, we haven't. 

As for Texas and TAMU being soft, that could be just as much about coaching and university culture as anything else, and I've heard that's exactly the case at UT. It's certainly not enough to write off Texas high school players on the whole.

And I'm not sure that we've de-emphasized our traditional recruiting grounds at all. It's not like we're suddenly pulling half our kids from Texas. We might have de-emphasized MS but there aren't as many kids there as there were the last couple cycles. Also, we lost our main connection to MS.

Finally, let me ask you two questions: Which kids should we not have recruited, and do you think bama should quit recruiting the Brockermeyer kids?

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

I am from Allen, Tx. For many years top teams from all over the country came to play against Allen. They all left with an L in their Record in last couple of years Houston area and a few other schools have caught and sometimes gone past Allen.  Allen has put a lot of players in  college and it was not just QB and WR.  If any Texas team could pull in the top talent in the state it would be a juggernaut.  One key issue in Texas is the number of teams that recruit the state OK, OSU, Arkansas, LSU, Arizona, UCLA, USC and that is not counting all the in state teams.   

Blah. First of all, you go where you have connections, and our OC's connections are in Texas. Second, there is NO better brand of football played at the high school level than there is in Texas. It is possible that players peak more quickly when they go through Texas football programs, just simply because the level of coaching is generally so superior to that of other states, but that has nothing to do with players being soft. I'm tickled silly that we're making inroads into Texas now, because that gives us a foothold in two of the three biggest recruiting hotbeds in the country.

19 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

that gives us a foothold in two of the three biggest recruiting hotbeds in the country.

And 3 of the Big 4. Texas, Florida, & Georgia

So North Carolina, Virginia, and Maryland high school teams all run the power I and not spread offenses.

Hardly.

Nothing soft about Larry Neumann's Camp Fun at Nederland High. Shorts and tee shirts in February. Rain and mud

6 hours ago, McLoofus said:

.........and do you think bama should quit recruiting the Brockermeyer kids?

Well yes, yes they should. ;D

I don't know enough about Texas football to comment on that. I can't see the harm in recruiting in Texas as long as we aren't sacrificing time and effort in Al, Ga, Fl to head west. I do hope we aren't emphasizing Texas because we're getting whupped in our more traditional recruiting areas.

16 hours ago, Sizzle said:

I see what he’s trying to say but I think it mainly comes down to coaching that’s holding the players back. 

Couldn't agree more..........................Take that @bigbird

Just my take, but I think the problem with kids from Texas is that the coaching and preparation in high school is so good, that there isn't a lot of upside to those kids. What you see is pretty close to what you're going to get. Toughness is built at home, and honed on the football field.

I think you guys stole all my highly accurate points I made last month and nobody gave me the apporopriate credit.  Thanks for all the PMs asking me to weight in...

Seriously this should be emphasized:

- most kids from the southeast have higher upside I believe because the texas kids have more coaching and access to better coaching/personal trainers.   That appears to be true when you consider how some of the programs have become D1 football talent producing factories (Allen, North Shore, Westlake, Aledo, Duncanville, S Lake Carroll , Ryan, Stephenville and several others that BigBird could share).

- I also think some of the programs in TX have pushed kids harder in spread offenses and the skill positions are very well developed, thus skill positions have a plethora of talent in TX.   

I have heard the big factor is work ethic :  U of Texas compared to SEC programs is my basis.  Kids go to UT and start off thinking they hung the moon.  Their program plays who - Oklahoma and the big 12?  They win a bunch of games and never have to work like the SEC programs do,  just to have a winning record.  I have heard this  from a former player who went there and a kid Texas recruited heavily but ended up at CU;  he didn't even visit SEC schools because he felt he wouldn't play for 2 yrs.

So give me players from where ever, just recruit talent and kids with work ethic!  

That being said, I love how we are recruiting TX because there is so much talent there and every player we pluck from TX is another one J Fisher and E Orgeron won't get.

lol good to see Coach Jay continues to make a complete ass out of himself still. This time on another site. I am sure he is as popular over there as he was here. 

43 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

lol good to see Coach Jay continues to make a complete ass out of himself still. This time on another site. I am sure he is as popular over there as he was here. 

Our Coarch?

1 minute ago, SumterAubie said:

Our Coarch?

That is the one. He is the same as always. He has flown off the handle a few times there from what I have seen since he re appeared on there! lol.

Finesse, touchdown friendly brand of football is really what we need...We got a coach who coached in Texas, it probably means something if he's looking for run and gun oriented products. 

Not downing Auburn, but IDK who we are to turn down any talented OLmen, receivers or QB, stat padding systems or not (and not saying that's what occurs in Tejas). 

All the TX players committed are on Offense as of right now maybe the coaches see the same thing in defensive prospects coming out of TX 

Now lets talk auburn offense. 

a case has to be made about the type of Offensive football that is played at Auburn.   Some have criticized it and said that its a gimmick  offense.    Does that lend itself to being more finesse (i didnt say just finesse ) than the upper tier SEC teams?   i would say so.     I attribute it to the inadequacy in OL recruiting  needing to go around instead of making holes through the line. 

The author makes a good point but its a little blunt  i think toughness is taught to kids.  It usually starts at home or their surroundings.   Coaches can make a kid tougher.  So being from texas and a finesse school i wouldnt discount the kid. 

Archived