Wooten Opts Out of 2020 Season

wde21

Just now, ellitor said:

@Win4AU Just a cool dude with AU connections.

Nope! Got his engineering degree from AU in 2006.

Not sure who you are thinking of but Dukes wasn't giving out AU info 2 years ago, not publicly any. The rub was last month & was a misunderstanding that didn't have anything to do with Dukes.

Seems pretty reliable so far.

I should have said weeks and not years on that one.  The JLee exchange was what I was referring to.

Independent as in does he work for Rivals, the Athletic, 247 etc.  

Im all for good info.  He just seems loud sometimes but if he knows what he’s talking about rock on.

29 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

I should have said weeks and not years on that one.  The JLee exchange was what I was referring to.

And JLee was referring more to JBoy & maybe Tay. Dukes doesn't make predictions.

30 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

Independent as in does he work for Rivals, the Athletic, 247 etc.  

No. He has relationships with a number of players & recruits.

32 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

He just seems loud sometimes

Not loud at all. He's really cool. It's JBoy that can come off loud whether he means to or not.

It’s his right in this mess to make whatever decision is right for him. 

But I do have to wonder if this is more about strategy than health. Right now, he’s the 4th linebacker in a system where we primarily use 2 at a time. If he sits this year out and redshirts, he potentially becomes a starter next yea once Britt graduates. If he plays this year, he plays as a rotational reserve only. 

9 hours ago, ellitor said:

And JLee was referring more to JBoy & maybe Tay. Dukes doesn't make predictions.

No. He has relationships with a number of players & recruits.

Not loud at all. He's really cool. It's JBoy that can come off loud whether he means to or not.

Maybe I am getting him and jboy confused

I'd say the odds of Wooten ever playing at AU again are slim. I hope he gets his degree and moves on to a successful life. Thankfully, since Muschamp's season here we've  mostly started recruiting the position as it should be recruited and he won't be leaving the void that losing a player of his abilities would have left a few years ago.

2 hours ago, Mikey said:

I'd say the odds of Wooten ever playing at AU again are slim. I hope he gets his degree and moves on to a successful life. Thankfully, since Muschamp's season here we've  mostly started recruiting the position as it should be recruited and he won't be leaving the void that losing a player of his abilities would have left a few years ago.

Curious why you think odds of him playing again are slim? Do you think he'll choose to not come back or do you think he'll be encouraged by AU to play elsewhere?

Totally understand and respect this young man's decision. I also loved the classy way he did it with well thought out reasons behind his season. This shows me the type of players Gus tries to recruit not just good football players but players you can be proud of and cheer for whether on the field or not.

18 hours ago, Sizzle said:

Another one of those players is probably Bro Hamm if I had to guess and the other probably KJ or Seth since they have NFL futures

Hamm and Manning both get speculated due to their battles with cancer and it possibly putting them at a higher risk from what I have gathered. 

1 hour ago, gravejd said:

Curious why you think odds of him playing again are slim? Do you think he'll choose to not come back or do you think he'll be encouraged by AU to play elsewhere?

I actually am in the same boat as he has pretty high draft stock and is a senior.  Why wait and play another year when you can go into the draft?  He also has a child now.  I would love for him to stay though and the shining light is he made it pretty clear in his post to play for Auburn in 2021.  Mindsets change though.

19 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

I actually am in the same boat as he has pretty high draft stock and is a senior.  Why wait and play another year when you can go into the draft?  He also has a child now.  I would love for him to stay though and the shining light is he made it pretty clear in his post to play for Auburn in 2021.  Mindsets change though.

Yeah i can see that...i was just curious if that was the reason Mikey saw it as unlikely he'll ever play for AU again. Sitting out the season to go ahead and enter the draft. 

I was thinking he could be making this decision to ensure he gets a full senior season. At best this will be a shorter season. At worse no season (which everyone will likely get eligibility back) and then the most likely scenario IMO is we play a handful of games before it is shut down. Maybe he does not want to risk using his last year of eligibility with the risk he could only get a handful of games?

10 minutes ago, gravejd said:

I was thinking he could be making this decision to ensure he gets a full senior season. At best this will be a shorter season. At worse no season (which everyone will likely get eligibility back) and then the most likely scenario IMO is we play a handful of games before it is shut down. Maybe he does not want to risk using his last year of eligibility with the risk he could only get a handful of games?

That is a good point.  If he needs a fantastic senior season to really go up in the draft to the first round, a shortened season won't cut it most likely.

16 minutes ago, gravejd said:

Maybe he does not want to risk using his last year of eligibility with the risk he could only get a handful of games?

Excellent point. He's only played in 19 games- 11 last year- and only has 22 tackles, 0 sacks (not that it's an important stat for him) and 1 pick in 3 years. He might be looking at his final season as a needed audition for the draft. I'm not sure he'd get drafted at all without a rock star senior season.

10 hours ago, gravejd said:

I'm guessing that he'll decide to get on with his life. He's soon to be a dad, is a senior and though he's a solid college player I haven't seen anything to indicate he's NFL level talent. Getting started in a professional career may look like the best avenue for him to pursue.

Archived