Who do you want as head coach?

copper4eva

9 minutes ago, DAG said:

And that’s okay to say , but to try to diminish is other accomplishments is not. I would rather you just say I don’t feel like he is that guy. 

I never diminished his body of work. I just pointed out that just because the guy is undefeated and beat a middle of the road VT team, it doesn’t mean he can come in at Auburn and give us the wins over our rivals we seem to want, that Gus hasn’t delivered. And as far as competing while he was at Ole Miss, his record isn’t valid, because he was cheating and got caught cheating. I don’t know whether he would have been just as successful if he had run a clean program at Ole Miss, but the fact that he didn’t really brings his whole body of work there into question. Should it not? Can he recruit against Saban and Smart without being shady? Because whoever comes in, we’ve learned that recruiting is a whole lot more important in this the SEC than it used to be. 

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also, Kentucky and South Carolina were not great teams, but we looked like crap against them. Dominating not great teams is still a step up.

Just now, Rednilla said:

Maybe. Or maybe Morris just needed time. But everyone is so fed up with Gus that we could win every game left, including somehow sneaking into the SECCG and the win there springboarding us to the Playoffs, and if we don't win it all, then those people are still going to want him gone...and probably will be upset if we do win it all because it means Gus will be staying. I know the odds of that kind of thing happening are astronomical, but it's not completely impossible.

No now you are just being ridiculous. The problem is people are sick of saying give him extra time when he hasn’t shown us anything. This is exactly what @cole256was talking about. He wins a few games against teams that are meaningless or not having quality years. LSU is not good this year. They loss to a very bad MSU team, the loss to a below average Missouri team and they got killed by us. We know how bad Miss state is. We need what offensive talent ole miss has but their defense is terrible. We need to see what this offense against credible opponents. Lucky we get to see them in the aggies and Bama.

1 minute ago, Rednilla said:

Dominating not great teams is still a step up.

No that is an expectation. That has always been an expectation at Auburn. 

1 minute ago, DAG said:

No that is an expectation. That has always been an expectation at Auburn. 

Okay, so we're meeting expectations now. Which is a step up from where we were earlier in the season. Any way you slice it, we've still gotten better as Morris (and Bicknell) have had more time to work with the guys. Do you dispute that?

3 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

I never diminished his body of work. I just pointed out that just because the guy is undefeated and beat a middle of the road VT team, it doesn’t mean he can come in at Auburn and give us the wins over our rivals we seem to want, that Gus hasn’t delivered. And as far as competing while he was at Ole Miss, his record isn’t valid, because he was cheating and got caught cheating. I don’t know whether he would have been just as successful if he had run a clean program at Ole Miss, but the fact that he didn’t really brings his whole body of work there into question. Should it not? Can he recruit against Saban and Smart without being shady? Because whoever comes in, we’ve learned that recruiting is a whole lot more important in this the SEC than it used to be. 

Guess what? Everybody cheats in the SEC . To recruit against these guys you are going to have to break rules. He got caught is the difference . Please stop this. I hope you don’t believe Auburn doesn’t cheat. Those wins are absolutely valid. He beat a power 5 team with a non power 5 team who is independent. That speaks volumes. To try to diminish that also speaks volume. 

Okay, so we're meeting expectations now. Which is a step up from where we were earlier in the season. Any way you slice it, we've still gotten better as Morris (and Bicknell) have had more time to work with the guys. Do you dispute that?

No we aren’t meeting expectation. Where did you get that from. If the teacher gives you an open book test, I expect you to pass the test. That is minimal standards. I guy who is an F student should be able to get an A on that test since it is a clear advantage.  So if you are consider An B student, there is an issue if you just barely passed the open book test. 

Yes we gotten better simply from the simple fact we were underperforming relative to our talent level. Is that really hard to understand . If you are barely beating the Arkansas and ole misses of the world , while losing to USCe then any slight improvement means you are going up. If you are going backwards then you are hitting fireable offense levels. My standard is how you do against the quality opponents . We’ve played one and looked absolutely horrible. So I want to see how we play against Bama and the aggies. Beating Miss state and UTenn, as nice as it is, does nothing for my stance in the long run. 

4 minutes ago, DAG said:

Guess what? Everybody cheats in the SEC . To recruit against these guys you are going to have to break rules. He got caught is the difference . Please stop this. I hope you don’t believe Auburn doesn’t cheat. Those wins are absolutely valid. He beat a power 5 team with a non power 5 team who is independent. That speaks volumes. To try to diminish that also speaks volume. 

Look man I’m not trying to fight over a coach that isn’t even on Auburn’s staff or radar for all we know. And I understand that there is a lot of cheating in the SEC. But I’m not going to just assume that everyone who has been able to compete against Saban has cheated to do it without having any proof. Hugh Freeze is a solid head coach. But we aren’t looking for a solid head coach. Hugh Freeze’s body of work consists of beating Saban twice while having to cheat at such a level that he ended up getting caught. And this season with Liberty with notable wins over Western Kentucky, FIU, UNA, Monroe, Syracuse, Southern Miss, and VT (who has a habit of slipping up to small teams). 

I’m not saying that Hugh Freeze wouldn’t come to Auburn and be great. I’m saying that his body of work thus far is less impressive than even Gus Malzahn, so Auburn should really think about the decision they make and we should try not to let a successful season at Liberty form our opinions. 

Look man I’m not trying to fight over a coach that isn’t even on Auburn’s staff or radar for all we know. And I understand that there is a lot of cheating in the SEC. But I’m not going to just assume that everyone who has been able to compete against Saban has cheated to do it without having any proof. Hugh Freeze is a solid head coach. But we aren’t looking for a solid head coach. Hugh Freeze’s body of work consists of beating Saban twice while having to cheat at such a level that he ended up getting caught. And this season with Liberty with notable wins over Western Kentucky, FIU, UNA, Monroe, Syracuse, Southern Miss, and VT (who has a habit of slipping up to small teams). 

I’m not saying that Hugh Freeze wouldn’t come to Auburn and be great. I’m saying that his body of work thus far is less impressive than even Gus Malzahn, so Auburn should really think about the decision they make and we should try not to let a successful season at Liberty form our opinions. 

We are fighting ? I am just disagreeing with you on synopsis. I am sorry you are feeling like I am fighting with you but I just don’t agree with your evaluation with him (including the above post) and you don’t have to agree with mine. It’s all good. 

Just now, DAG said:

We are fighting ? I am just disagreeing with you on synopsis. I am sorry you are feeling like I am fighting with you but I just don’t agree with your evaluation with him and you don’t have to agree with mine. It’s all good. 

I didn’t think we were currently fighting. I just didn’t want it to escalate to that over Hugh Freeze. Agree to disagree.

Just a quick history lesson btw. Hugh freeze has always been a builder of programs. Gus Malzahn first HC gig , where he was successful was loaded from previous years of what Hugh Freeze did at Arkansas state. He also is proving it once again at Liberty. We all know ole miss speaks for itself. 

Just now, DAG said:

Just a quick history lesson btw. Hugh freeze has always been a builder of programs. Gus Malzahn first HC gig , where he was successful was loaded from previous years of what Hugh Freeze did at Arkansas state. He also is proving it once again at Liberty. We all know ole miss speaks for itself. 

Hugh Freeze has made a good name for himself as a coach or we wouldn’t be having this discussion. I think this is more on us as a fan base. We have evolved into expecting more at Auburn. And My fear is that if we bring on a solid coach like Freeze, he will win some games, but it won’t be enough to get rid of out envy of teams like Bama, Georgia, and Clemson. And we will eventually be right back to calling for the HC to be canned. I personally think that Clemson building to the level it did has affected us more than Georgia or Bama. Because people look at what they have done and who Clemson is and think there is no reason that couldn’t have been us. 

I personally think that Clemson building to the level it did has affected us more than Georgia or Bama.

It's not that we're not as good as those teams year in year out. It's that we aren't even close. It's that we play far below our talent level and they play up to theirs. 

29 minutes ago, DAG said:

No we aren’t meeting expectation.

...Then why did you say what we've done the last couple of games is expected?

Hugh Freeze has made a good name for himself as a coach or we wouldn’t be having this discussion. I think this is more on us as a fan base. We have evolved into expecting more at Auburn. And My fear is that if we bring on a solid coach like Freeze, he will win some games, but it won’t be enough to get rid of out envy of teams like Bama, Georgia, and Clemson. And we will eventually be right back to calling for the HC to be canned. I personally think that Clemson building to the level it did has affected us more than Georgia or Bama. Because people look at what they have done and who Clemson is and think there is no reason that couldn’t have been us. 

And rightfully so. Auburn isn’t the only place that thinks this way. A minimal amount of schools provide resources for success and when you don’t hit those levels, it becomes problematic. That is life. KS is feeling those ramifications from UGA right now. JH seat is on fire as well as the Texas coach. In fact , In all honesty, Gus gets way more leeway then those coaches named above from their respective fan base. Come up here and truly see how fans react as a consensus to underperforming. Go look at Texas right now and see how their fans are acting. It is much worse than our fan base. So yes, you want it all, results will be expected. If you don’t , then go coach at Arkansas , but don’t expect the same amount of money or resources. 

5 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

...Then why did you say what we've done the last couple of games is expected?

Did you not read what I said? Beating A bad team handily with a team with better players is minimum expectations. Anybody is expected to do that. You can be a horrible coach and win with better players against a bad squad . It’s like me hiring you and you think you have met standards because you showed up to work. I expect you to show up to work if I hired you in a position but you still have to meet standards. Now , you are okay with minimum expectations, based on your post. I am not .

2 minutes ago, DAG said:

Did you not read what I said? Beating A bad team handily with a team with better players is minimum expectations. Anybody is expected to do that. You can be a horrible coach and win with better players against a bad squad . It’s like me hiring you and you think you have met standards because you showed up to work. I expect you to show up to work if I hired you in a position but you still have to meet standards. Now , you are okay with minimum expectations, based on your post. I am not .

Btw let me clarify this so this guy can’t keep giving everyone the run around. I should differentiate between standards and expectation. The bare minimum expectation is we beat the Guys we are suppose to beat . The standard is that we are competing with like talent and winning multiple conference championship and at least winning a National title. 

3 minutes ago, DAG said:

No, I'm not okay with minimum expectations. I'm okay with giving a coach time to do his job. Given your unyielding insistence that Gus be gone, you either don't care that Morris wasn't able to install his offense during the spring, or you are willfully ignoring the improvement that we've made. Yes, we're supposed to beat bad teams handily. We did that in our last game. No, that is not enough to cement Gus' place for the next decade, but unless it was an extreme outlier, it was enough to give him another year so he and Morris can work on making things work right.

But no, you're done with Gus, so it doesn't matter that the BOT and boosters are going to give him another year, you're going to complain and point out everything that is wrong with everything no matter how good it is for Auburn. I see.

Thank you for reminding me why I'm so infrequently around here.

No, I'm not okay with minimum expectations. I'm okay with giving a coach time to do his job. Given your unyielding insistence that Gus be gone, you either don't care that Morris wasn't able to install his offense during the spring, or you are willfully ignoring the improvement that we've made. Yes, we're supposed to beat bad teams handily. We did that in our last game. No, that is not enough to cement Gus' place for the next decade, but unless it was an extreme outlier, it was enough to give him another year so he and Morris can work on making things work right.

But no, you're done with Gus, so it doesn't matter that the BOT and boosters are going to give him another year, you're going to complain and point out everything that is wrong with everything no matter how good it is for Auburn. I see.

Thank you for reminding me why I'm so infrequently around here.

You are welcome. Have fun on the politics board BYE 

I have tired head, from this banter.

My final list: 

1. Cristobal

2.  someone like Brady or T Will  or Caddy - someone who has not been a HC, but brings a lot of swagger and willing to gnaw off his right arm for a win over our rivals.  

Dabo had not even been an OC before building his dynasty. 

Pittman was a one time HC of a community college program 20+ yrs ago for 1.5 seasons.  Pittman hasn't been an OC....Ark is easily surpassing EVERYONES expectations.    

You do not have to have been an OC / DC to be a great HC.   You have to be a great leader and organizer of coaches and young men. 

5 hours ago, Beaker said:

I have tired head, from this banter.

My final list: 

1. Cristobal

2.  someone like Brady or T Will  or Caddy - someone who has not been a HC, but brings a lot of swagger and willing to gnaw off his right arm for a win over our rivals.  

Dabo had not even been an OC before building his dynasty. 

Pittman was a one time HC of a community college program 20+ yrs ago for 1.5 seasons.  Pittman hasn't been an OC....Ark is easily surpassing EVERYONES expectations.    

You do not have to have been an OC / DC to be a great HC.   You have to be a great leader and organizer of coaches and young men. 

I agree that is a possible avenue worth considering. But I also feel anyone like the candidate you described should have experience in a system that knows how to get top recruits. Preferably someone from the Saban, Swinney, or Smart coaching trees. 

This COVID-19 is not helping Malzahn. With Tennessee, Alabama, Texas A&M and Miss. State lined up like it is, a 5 loss season is looking very strong.

5 hours ago, auburn4ever said:

This COVID-19 is not helping Malzahn. With Tennessee, Alabama, Texas A&M and Miss. State lined up like it is, a 5 loss season is looking very strong.

You seem to be almost hoping we loose with some of your posts. The kids on this team deserve support and nearly every one of your posts are negative. Your hatred of CGM is not very healthy in my opinion.

Some of you need to get off of the if you point out stuff that's wrong you don't love Auburn. Nobody has to like losing. In fact I will argue if you accept mediocrity you are the people that doesn't love Auburn. 

If you don't want to hear both sides of a situation then maybe a ******* forum isn't for you. How are going to make someone say we're improved when the so called improvement is against teams that suck? 

Hell I was literally one of the best basketball players to come out of my town.....it was different when I started playing aau against teams from everywhere. It's levels to this

1 hour ago, toddc said:

You seem to be almost hoping we loose with some of your posts. The kids on this team deserve support and nearly every one of your posts are negative. Your hatred of CGM is not very healthy in my opinion.

Come on man, this is just an internet message board. I think he dislikes CGM (like myself) because he loves Auburn and doesn't want to continue to see the football program fall into mediocrity. No one is attacking the players.

Archived