Who do you want as head coach?

copper4eva

15 minutes ago, aubaseball said:

It’s quite possibly the dumbest thing anyone could do is base a coaches performance or how they would be as a head coach based on one game.   

It seems that Arkansas has found a coach that might be able to win some games at Arkansas, time will tell.   But it’s a good start and recruiting will determine if he can or not, so I say that to say I wouldn’t exclude any coach if he comes from the right coaching tree and is smart and willing to surround himself with good assistants 

You can’t reason with some of these people. It’s only if it fits their agenda to look at one game to determine whether a coach is competent (iron bowl 2019 for Gustav the great, Oregon St. for Cristobal). Doesn’t matter if they can recruit, develop players, and build a strong program and go 6-2 not 8-16 against their 3 biggest rivals. 

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wasn't Cristobal one of the top recruiters in the country when he was on Saban's staff? The fact that he lost to Oregon State yesterday is on big deal to me. Hell, Malzahn lost to South Carolina, who fired their head coach mid-way through the season. He also had our team poorly prepared to fact UGa--losing to them isn't as bad as the fact that AU looked like it didn't even want to be on the field that day. And, for those who point out that he has won 3 against Saban---last year's win was because the defense picked off 2 Jones passes and returned for touchdowns, and in 2013, I believe it was DC Ellis Johnson who convinced Malzahn to call the TO and put in the return team for the Kick 6. Yes, Malzahn was the head coach and gets the credit, but AU won in spite of him, not because of him. I was surprised to learn from either a post on another thread on this site or somewhere else, that this Offensive Genius has had AU's offense in the top 10 in the country ONCE---2013. It's time to move on. 

Okay... folks on here wanted James Franklin. Penn State is now O-fer.

Some folks wanted Minnesota’s coach. This year, he’s 2-3 with losses to Maryland, Michigan (blowout), and Iowa (blowout). One of the two wins was 3 point victory over Purdue. He’s now in year 4, which means this team is almost all his players.

Some folks were saying Cristobal was the guy. He lost yesterday to a coach with a 7-15 record. 

None of these guys are better than what we have. Who is the next suggested to be better than Gus coach that people are going to be pushing for? And don’t say Bob Stoops. We aren’t getting him.

Just now, AUFriction said:

Some folks were saying Cristobal was the guy. He lost yesterday to a coach with a 7-15 record. 

Yep, lost yesterday.  Do not want. 

15 minutes ago, AUFriction said:

Some folks wanted Minnesota’s coach. This year, he’s 2-3 with losses to Maryland, Michigan (blowout), and Iowa (blowout). One of the two wins was 3 point victory over Purdue. He’s now in year 4, which means this team is almost all his players.

None of these guys are better than what we have. Who is the next suggested to be better than Gus coach that people are going to be pushing for? And don’t say Bob Stoops. We aren’t getting him.

And there’s Scott frost and Tom Herman .....😊

22 minutes ago, AUFriction said:

Well, Arkansas may be the most improved team in the country under Pittman. If this were a regular season they would've won six games (three cupcakes plus all three teams they've beat were teams they would've played anyway).

I would not put much stock into Frost's time at Nebraska.

At this point, what I care about is: can they recruit?

5 minutes ago, BJCrawford said:

And there’s Scott frost and Tom Herman .....😊

Ha. Completely forgot about them. 

I’d also pencil in Mike Norvell, though I’ll admit it may be too premature to completely write him off. Jimbo and Wilkie Taggert left a dumpster fire.

If they come at a discount compared to what we have which might be the case, I for sure would still take Mario. Gus is not worth the price. I don’t know why the Gus bussers don’t get that.

1 hour ago, AUFriction said:

Dennis Allen can coach rings around gus.  Now come back with your broken record response of we are not getting him.

47 minutes ago, AUFriction said:

Ha. Completely forgot about them. 

I’d also pencil in Mike Norvell, though I’ll admit it may be too premature to completely write him off. Jimbo and Wilkie Taggert left a dumpster fire.

So just for conversation, if Gus was to get fired, who would you want?

17 minutes ago, DAG said:

If they come at a discount compared to what we have which might be the case, I for sure would still take Mario. Gus is not worth the price. I don’t know why the Gus bussers don’t get that.

I believe it's called "a difference of opinion."  Some of us "Gus bussers" are old enough to remember losing to bama 9 years in a row and know that Malzahn has had more success against Saban than any other coach. And ya know, to get to the SEC Championship and have a shot at bigger things, you pretty much have to beat bama. Some of us think the anti-Gussers ought to be careful what they ask for because they just might get it. I don't know why the broken record ant-Gussers don't get that. 😛

Well then by that reasoning we wouldn't want Saban either because he's lost 3 games to Gus who does not have as good a record as the nickster.  Very sound reasoning there?

17 minutes ago, aubaseball said:

So just for conversation, if Gus was to get fired, who would you want?

That’s the problem. I’m annoyed with some things in Gus’s tenure, but I don’t see any realistic upgrades. We could take a chance on an up-and-coming guy, but probability isn’t on our side. To be an upgrade from Gus, they’d have to statistically be better of the best coaches we’ve ever had. And they’d have to do so against Nick and Kirby. If we hire an unknown, there’s a higher probability of a worse coach than a better coach.

20 minutes ago, CleCoTiger said:

I believe it's called "a difference of opinion."  Some of us "Gus bussers" are old enough to remember losing to bama 9 years in a row and know that Malzahn has had more success against Saban than any other coach. And ya know, to get to the SEC Championship and have a shot at bigger things, you pretty much have to beat bama. Some of us think the anti-Gussers ought to be careful what they ask for because they just might get it. I don't know why the broken record ant-Gussers don't get that. 😛

We get that . You have been saying that same line for the last two years now. Glad you finally identify though . 

I find it interesting that some of the top coaches now (Swinney, Riley, Day) the teams kind of got lucky with. They were not proven.  I can only think of Saban and Brian Kelly maybe that were proven when they hired them. Maybe Fisher but chip Kelly hasn’t proven he can do it again and certainly not Michigan’s coach. I see both sides but I’m too old to possibly end up with another Barfield....but I’ll always be a fan.

15 minutes ago, AUFriction said:

That’s the problem. I’m annoyed with some things in Gus’s tenure, but I don’t see any realistic upgrades. We could take a chance on an up-and-coming guy, but probability isn’t on our side. To be an upgrade from Gus, they’d have to statistically be better of the best coaches we’ve ever had. And they’d have to do so against Nick and Kirby. If we hire an unknown, there’s a higher probability of a worse coach than a better coach.

We wanna get Arkansas to hate us even more?

17 minutes ago, DAG said:

We get that . You have been saying that same line for the last two years now. Glad you finally identify though . 

Speak for yourself and not for others. And I doubt you have much idea what exactly I've been saying. You and the other negative nannies have made posting here so much less fun than it once was that I just don't post/participate much. You guys are a drag. A real bad drag.

19 minutes ago, CleCoTiger said:

Speak for yourself and not for others. And I doubt you have much idea what exactly I've been saying. You and the other negative nannies have made posting here so much less fun than it once was that I just don't post/participate much. You guys are a drag. A real bad drag.

You just admitted you said that smart one . Move on cleopatra 

Better than best??? Isn’t that the goal.  To find someone that will take AU to heights unknown.  

12 minutes ago, chizhead said:

Lane Kiffin or Sarkesian

Kiffin wouldn’t fit Auburn’s culture. Too much of a troll. He’d clash with the boosters, and there’s a substantial part of the family that expects the head coach to show class that Kiffin lacks. It’s the same reason Petrine and Kirby Smart weren’t hired, and the same reason a coach like Savanna will never be a head coach at Auburn. From what I’ve heard, it’s also the same reason Bowden’s tenure ended so poorly. 

Sark is a risky hire. He was a disaster in his last HC position. 

1 minute ago, AUFriction said:

Kiffin wouldn’t fit Auburn’s culture. Too much of a troll. He’d clash with the boosters, and there’s a substantial part of the family that expects the head coach to show class that Kiffin lacks. It’s the same reason Petrine and Kirby Smart weren’t hired, and the same reason a coach like Savanna will never be a head coach at Auburn. From what I’ve heard, it’s also the same reason Bowden’s tenure ended so poorly. 

Sark is a risky hire. He was a disaster in his last HC position. 

We need a saintly choir boy as our coach. Does he fit Ole Miss's "culture?" 🙄

5 minutes ago, aubaseball said:

Better than best??? Isn’t that the goal.  To find someone that will take AU to heights unknown.  

That was supposed to say one of the best, but I think the point is still mostly conveyed.

I deal in statistics every day for work. I care more about probability than possibility. It’s much more probable that we’d trade down than up. There’s a better chance that we turn into Tennessee than we turn into Bama.

2 minutes ago, AUwent said:

We need a saintly choir boy as our coach. Does he fit Ole Miss's "culture?" 🙄

I didn’t say that. I said there’s a substantial portion of the family that wants that choir boy. They just aren’t the group coming on these forums. Included in that group are guys like Bo Jackson, who allegedly blocked us hiring Kirby in 2012 because he was a bad cultural fit. A lot of Auburn fans care about the image of the program more than winning. 

Archived