Derek Mason out at Vandy

auburn4ever

Hate it for him, but Vanderbilt was never a good fit for him, nor was he a good fit for Vandy. Hope he lands in a spot were he can be prosperous.

I think he is a good guy and a good coach. Few coaches have been, or ever will be, successful at Vandy. I am all for equal opportunity in sports and all walks of life. But, trying to be woke and playing a girl at kicker just so she can she make a single pooch kick was not a good look for the team and made them more of a laughingstock than they already were. Of course, the clapping seals in the woke sports media at ESPN and other networks were giddy over it and celebrated it endlessly but I think most serious sports fans saw it for what it was-- a publicity stunt. I am not saying that´s why Mason is out at Vandy but I don´t think it helped.

21 minutes ago, Dan-0 said:

I think he is a good guy and a good coach. Few coaches have been, or ever will be, successful at Vandy. I am all for equal opportunity in sports and all walks of life. But, trying to be woke and playing a girl at kicker just so she can she make a single pooch kick was not a good look for the team and made them more of a laughingstock than they already were. Of course, the clapping seals in the woke sports media at ESPN and other networks were giddy over it and celebrated it endlessly but I think most serious sports fans saw it for what it was-- a publicity stunt. I am not saying that´s why Mason is out at Vandy but I don´t think it helped.

Until the alumni actually care about football it will always be hard to win at Vandy. If you got someone in there that could woo more boosters in I think the program could seriously turn around.

I seriously believe any program can be a winning one (even Vandy) but it takes many different factors in order for that to happen. It’s a combination of great coaching and a serious interest in the program from boosters and fans.  

36 minutes ago, woodford said:

Until the alumni actually care about football it will always be hard to win at Vandy. If you got someone in there that could woo more boosters in I think the program could seriously turn around.

I seriously believe any program can be a winning one (even Vandy) but it takes many different factors in order for that to happen. It’s a combination of great coaching and a serious interest in the program from boosters and fans.  

Don’t think so.   Someone has to lose.   

Looks like Saban is gonna have to have a rock paper scissors tournament with all the eligible coaches (Muschamp, Mason and soon to be Herman) to be on his staff next year and yes he will win the  ex-head coach recruiting title again.

On 12/2/2020 at 1:15 PM, AURex said:

One name that has been tossed out there "seriously" to replace Mason is - gasp - Rhett Lashlee. Wow!

$20 says Rhett beats Malzahn the first time they meet.  

On 12/2/2020 at 1:15 PM, AURex said:

One name that has been tossed out there "seriously" to replace Mason is - gasp - Rhett Lashlee. Wow!

I hope that Rhett is smart enough to not make Vandy his first job as a head coach. Vanderbilt is more often than not where head coaching careers go to die. 

Archived