Men vs Ole Miss

Maverick.AU

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, Randman5000 said:

These announcers are so annoying

Same guys from Saturday when they never noticed Powell was not in the game or even on the bench. 

Something worth mentioning is that a walk on has never gotten burn for Auburn in serious game time since we’ve gotten established as a power (I believe Myles Powell got like 2 minutes one of the latter games last season, but it came with literally every big ahead of him in foul trouble). even during the 6 man, 7 man rotations of 2016-17.

Not implying anything, not forcing any conclusions, but Berman is supposed to be an increasing fixture in the rotation. I personally think it’s fine, we’ve had some competent walk on ball handlers historically speaking...while I think those guys are gonna give up a ton defensively, we just need someone who can read a defense somewhat like a PG. plus, as Pearl said, Flanagan is so much better off the ball than on (as Powell and anyone else who’d play the position for us sans Sharife). If Berman can just handle pressure and allow them to run their sets, they might be able to keep it more competitive than yesterday night going forward 

I missed a lot of the game due to everything else going on yesterday. The small moments I watched, though, led me to one conclusion: I hope Powell gets healthy quick and I hope Sharife gets cleared soon. Flan should not run the point, again. He had flashes in earlier games against weaker competition where he looked competent but 8 turnovers last night and every time I watched him he was refusing to pass to open players. He settled for dribbling for most of the shot clock and then either turning the ball over or heaving a desperation shot.

I didn't see Jaylin run the point that much when I watched, how did he look while doing so? I'm assuming with a career-high in points he looked better than Flan?

Cambridge needs to sit on the bench for a while. His mopey attitude running down the court is pathetic. also pair that with not being able to hit the broad side of a barn, he needs a slap in the face to wake up.

1 hour ago, aubiebaseball said:

Cambridge needs to sit on the bench for a while. His mopey attitude running down the court is pathetic. also pair that with not being able to hit the broad side of a barn, he needs a slap in the face to wake up.

He'll either improve or get processed. Can't have that lack of production ongoing when each player on the floor comprises 20% of the playing team.

I saw some people getting down on Flanagan as PG. Give the guy a break until a few games ago he was a SG or SF and he has been forced into playing PG with minimal practice at the position. He is greatly improved player who has elevated his game this year expecting him to be PG with little practice at position is asking a lot of him. Powell is also not a PG but has been getting the majority of the reps in practice and games so of course he would be better at it and he also has had trouble against trapping defenses.  It is a very tough position to be in. We need a true PG and let Flanagan and Powell play in position then we would have two outside shooters who can get to the rack and in Powell also distribute the ball. 

• ellitor changed the title to Men vs Ole Miss

This at Ole Miss is nothing new. Some of the worst AU basketball I've ever seen was played at Ole Miss. Even last year, when we won in 2X overtime, we were behind 19 points and had really stunk it up.

I remember back in the dark ages when Bob Davis was AU's coach. After we got beat, he asked and got permission to hold a two-hour practice in their gym immediately following the game. Then when the team bus got back to campus, he had the team pile their uniforms on some grass outside Beard-Eaves, poured gas and burned the pile while the team stood in the freezing pre-dawn hours and watched. Oxford has not been a good place for us.

18 hours ago, mustache eagle said:

When the season started flanigan was our 4th option at PG.  now he’s shouldering the load ... and fan ire 

There should only be praise for him no ire anything we get from him as PG good or bad is gravy.

3 hours ago, Mikey said:

This at Ole Miss is nothing new. Some of the worst AU basketball I've ever seen was played at Ole Miss. Even last year, when we won in 2X overtime, we were behind 19 points and had really stunk it up.

I remember back in the dark ages when Bob Davis was AU's coach. After we got beat, he asked and got permission to hold a two-hour practice in their gym immediately following the game. Then when the team bus got back to campus, he had the team pile their uniforms on some grass outside Beard-Eaves, poured gas and burned the pile while the team stood in the freezing pre-dawn hours and watched. Oxford has not been a good place for us.

I always liked Dr. Davis. He did a pretty good job of recruiting, just couldn't sustain or get us over that hump. 

brought in some great players too:

Pepto Bolden, Mike Mitchell, Myles Patrick, Stan Pietkiewicz, Eddie Johnson, cedrick Hordges, Earl Banks, etc.

And I remember a pregame warm thing they did that was cool. Something like a dipsy doodle play...

And most people only remember Sonny Smith as our next HC after Davis, but many forgot we had hired Paul Lambert from S. Ill to take over. He never got to coach 1 day at Auburn. Died in a fire in an airport hotel in Columbus,Ga. Many escaped that night but he was the only 1 who died, and didn't get out.

Archived