Forgotten Game - Auburn at Virginia Tech 1978

AUght2win

In all this history research I came across a game I've never heard mentioned before.

1978 - Auburn at Virginia Tech 

Lane Stadium is definitely a venue I've always wanted to see Auburn play in. I was stunned to find we already have previously!

Auburn won the game 18-7, but I can find hardly any other details. One cool thing is that VT was officially known as the "Gobblers" back then. Not the Hokies. I read the brass went on to great lengths to change it to something more dignified. Personally, I think Gobblers is a way cooler nickname.

Anyway, I'd like to task the older members of the board share what they remember of that game. And see if you can dig up any pictures or videos. Even if both programs weren't at their peak, that's still an impressive road win!

Did anybody make the trip?

I don’t remember that one.  I do remember 1975 when the “gobblers” beat us  at home in Shug’s final year and mine too.  We had a great team in 1974 and everyone was pumped up for 1975.  They were going to “win them all for Shug.”  Instead they fell flat on their face.  Just part of being a member of the Auburn Family.  High expectations- look out for a big disappointment.  Low expectations- big things are about to happen!  

2 hours ago, weagl1 said:

I don’t remember that one.  I do remember 1975 when the “gobblers” beat us  at home in Shug’s final year and mine too.  We had a great team in 1974 and everyone was pumped up for 1975.  They were going to “win them all for Shug.”  Instead they fell flat on their face.  Just part of being a member of the Auburn Family.  High expectations- look out for a big disappointment.  Low expectations- big things are about to happen!  

I was at the ‘75 game. Even as an energetic teenager, that was a tough game to sit through. Had seats on the top row in Section 2 or 3. It was cold and windy, and it rained the entire game. It was just a preview of what the next 5 or 6 years would be like. 

7 hours ago, Win4AU said:

I can only imagine the fun people would have today with anything called a Gobbler

South Carolina is getting by fine.

I'm an Auburn and Virginia Tech alum so I'd definitely be interested in hearing more about this game too. I was still in high school during the 2005 game so I missed that one a as well but direly hope to see my Tigers and Hokies face off in the future.

I was a freshman that year but I don't recall any details about the game. Sad that the most vivid memory wasn't even a win, it was the orange jersey tie with UGA that year. Barfield unfortunately left us with many games to forget.

I think they went by the VPI Gobbles between the early to mid 70s. I wanted to go to the game, but I was sick and so I listened to it on Radio.

2 hours ago, auburn4ever said:

I think they went by the VPI Gobbles between the early to mid 70s. I wanted to go to the game, but I was sick and so I listened to it on Radio.

Remember any performances that stood out?

I wasn't at that game, but I was in Legion Field that day to watch USC (West) annihilate bammer. When the bammer cheerleaders did nothing but yell go Virginia Tech before the game, my little brother and I decided we would go to the souvenir stands and get some USC swag. We were sitting at field level near the 50 yd. line and cheered very loudly for USC that day. It was a very good day. Auburn thumped Virginia Tech. USC beat bammer.

On 3/1/2021 at 2:56 PM, AUght2win said:

In all this history research I came across a game I've never heard mentioned before.

1978 - Auburn at Virginia Tech 

Lane Stadium is definitely a venue I've always wanted to see Auburn play in. I was stunned to find we already have previously!

Auburn won the game 18-7, but I can find hardly any other details. One cool thing is that VT was officially known as the "Gobblers" back then. Not the Hokies. I read the brass went on to great lengths to change it to something more dignified. Personally, I think Gobblers is a way cooler nickname.

Anyway, I'd like to task the older members of the board share what they remember of that game. And see if you can dig up any pictures or videos. Even if both programs weren't at their peak, that's still an impressive road win!

Did anybody make the trip?

I wasn't at this game but I did go to VT for grad school.  Lane Stadium is a good venue. The campus and Blacksburg are neat also.

2 hours ago, Proud Tiger said:

The campus and Blacksburg are neat also.

Yes they are. The Hokie stone used all over campus give it a nice look. Good grief, those were the biggest turkey drumsticks I've ever seen. 

8 hours ago, gr82be said:

Yes they are. The Hokie stone used all over campus give it a nice look. Good grief, those were the biggest turkey drumsticks I've ever seen. 

Wait so did you make the trip up in 78?

4 hours ago, AUght2win said:

Wait so did you make the trip up in 78?

No, as I said earlier I don't even remember the game on radio. I did go to a football game there when VT played Duke. I went several times from '13-'15 to watch my stepdaughter play softball. In '15 she was a grad asst. She arranged for my dad to throw out the first pitch in the Military Appreciation game in '15. He was retired US Navy. He was thrilled beyond belief. It meant so much to him.

KIMG0875.JPG

IMG_20150422_212715483.jpg

IMG_20150422_212641943.jpg

I was there after an all night road trip with girlfriend and roommate (diff people).  Lots of rain early but stopped during the game. Beautiful campus in the hills. Don’t remember much about the stadium aside from being smaller than most college stadiums. The game was not real exciting and my memory is I never felt like we were going to lose but we could not pull away either.  Seemed like the defense came up big whenever VPI threatened to score. I do remember that they were calling themselves Hokies which roughly translated to a castrated turkey.

I'm kind of flummoxed that I have zero memory of this game. I was on 17 years old at the time but generally when AU played I made it a point to follow at least on the radio. I may have missed this game for some reason because I can't recall a thing about it.

On 3/3/2021 at 9:39 PM, CleCoTiger said:

I'm kind of flummoxed that I have zero memory of this game. I was on 17 years old at the time but generally when AU played I made it a point to follow at least on the radio. I may have missed this game for some reason because I can't recall a thing about it.

I've never heard it mentioned, and my family is encyclopedic on Auburn football. It's like Thanos snapped it out of existence. 

On 3/2/2021 at 2:45 PM, Tmoney56 said:

I wasn't at that game, but I was in Legion Field that day to watch USC (West) annihilate bammer. When the bammer cheerleaders did nothing but yell go Virginia Tech before the game, my little brother and I decided we would go to the souvenir stands and get some USC swag. We were sitting at field level near the 50 yd. line and cheered very loudly for USC that day. It was a very good day. Auburn thumped Virginia Tech. USC beat bammer.

Nothing better than a "skip Sunday".

Little doc

Archived