Bobo Reveals Offense Plans for QBs

toddc

Auburn OC Mike Bobo reveals offensive plan for Bo Nix, QBs

111 minutes ago

Throughout his coaching career as an offensive guru and expert play-caller, Mike Bobo has incited on being multiple and showing defenses various formations and personnel packages. He said this week that's not going to change during his first season as Auburn's offensive coordinator with returning quarterback Bo Nix, who is entering his third campaign as the Tigers' starter.

"We're not going to be primarily under center, we're not going to be primarily in the gun," Bobo said Monday via AuburnUndercover. "It'll be a mixture of both."

One of first-year head coach Bryan Harsin's first major hires on the Plains, Bobo arrived at Auburn in January from South Carolina, where he called plays last season during Will Muschamp's ill-fated final campaign.

"I've wanted to work with Mike now for quite some time as he compliments the many things we want to do with our offense," Harsin said after his hiring was official. "We are going to be very versatile in what we do and Mike's offensive background speaks for itself. I'm really excited to combine forces with Mike as we create the Auburn offense, a high-powered, attacking and physical unit that will come at you in many ways." 

The Tigers struggled to find an identity on offense each of Gus Malzahn's final two seasons with Nix in charge of running the show. A former five-star signee, Nix has thrown for 4,957 yards and 28 touchdowns over his first 24 starts and for the first time in his career, should be a focal point in Bobo's quarterback-friendly scheme.

Tailback Tank Bigsby also returns as a primary weapon after rushing for 834 yards and 11 touchdowns as a freshman.

A former quarterback at Georgia, Bobo has spent much of his coaching career in the SEC, serving 14 years under Mark Richt between the hedges as the mastermind of the Bulldogs' offense. He later became the head coach at Colorado State before his lone season with the Gamecocks.

"I have a great amount of respect for Coach Harsin, both as a coach and as a person," Bobo said. "I competed against him for five years as a head coach and we've talked ball on numerous occasions over the years. I know what he's about and his commitment to excellence. I know that Auburn is a great community with a tremendous passion for and commitment to Auburn football. I'm excited to get started and look forward to helping Coach Harsin compete for championships."

Get the fastest scores, stats, news, LIVE videos, and more. CLICK HERE to download the CBS Sports Mobile App and get the latest on your team today.

Auburn's A-Day spring game is slated for April 17 with the season opener and Bobo's debut as OC on Sept. 4 vs. Akron at Jordan-Hare Stadium.

Looking forward to seeing under center power run sets introduced back as a staple of the offense. It seemed more like a gimmick with the last offense. Not enough play options out of our heavy sets. Im Expecting this to pay of major in the red zone. I want to expect touchdowns again when we get inside the 10. 

• WarTiger changed the title to Bobo Reveals Offense Plans for QBs
1 hour ago, toddc said:

I know a lot of ppl are going to get super excited about this, but this the opposite way thst virtually all offense is going. It might happen but we're not going to see a lot of it

Just now, W.E.D said:

I know a lot of ppl are going to get super excited about this, but this the opposite way thst virtually all offense is going. It might happen but we're not going to see a lot of it

He said “sometimes “ so it’s in the post that we won’t see it a lot.

26 minutes ago, toddc said:

He said “sometimes “ so it’s in the post that we won’t see it a lot.

I’m just happy if they know how and are comfortable doing it when needed.

19 hours ago, TexasTiger said:

I’m just happy if they know how and are comfortable doing it when needed.

If I never see another sugar huddle it'll be too soon. Unfortunately the Gus Bus departed one of my teams only to end up at another. 

Bo-Bo had such incredible offensive success at Colorado State and South Carolina, just amazing offenses! I'm so excited to see his Auburn offense.

Sorry, but -- yes, I'm really excited about Harsin and most of the new coaching staff.

Mr. BO ... BO...  I'm in the "wait and see" camp, because he ain't showed nobody nuthin ever yet.

And I sure hope Harsin is spending a whole lot of time with the other BO, because Nix needs some real coaching up.

Sorry, I'm not a Negative type, but I'm also not a blind rah-rah type either. Show me the real stuff.

11 hours ago, Zeek said:

If I never see another sugar huddle it'll be too soon. Unfortunately the Gus Bus departed one of my teams only to end up at another. 

How about the old Gus Bus having an Open practice at UCF? SMH I couldn't help but chuckle when I heard that.

7 hours ago, Tigerpro2a said:

How about the old Gus Bus having an Open practice at UCF? SMH I couldn't help but chuckle when I heard that.

Monkey-see, Monkey-do

15 hours ago, AURex said:

Bo-Bo had such incredible offensive success at Colorado State and South Carolina, just amazing offenses! I'm so excited to see his Auburn offense.

Sorry, but -- yes, I'm really excited about Harsin and most of the new coaching staff.

Mr. BO ... BO...  I'm in the "wait and see" camp, because he ain't showed nobody nuthin ever yet.

And I sure hope Harsin is spending a whole lot of time with the other BO, because Nix needs some real coaching up.

Sorry, I'm not a Negative type, but I'm also not a blind rah-rah type either. Show me the real stuff.

People are going to downvote you, but you have a point.  Although he did pretty well in CSU, I'd ignore his time at USCe.  They are always bad.

My issue with Bobo, is he's just stale.  He's old and boring and not really on the cutting edge of offenses like Sark, Ole Miss's OC, and a good amount of others.  We should be very happy about him for his S. Ga recruiting ties and I believe his ability to develop QBs.

Luckily, Bobo isn't alone.  He's going to be running Harsin's offense and implement his views/idea.  I think/hope that should blend well.  

2 hours ago, W.E.D said:

People are going to downvote you, but you have a point.  Although he did pretty well in CSU, I'd ignore his time at USCe.  They are always bad.

My issue with Bobo, is he's just stale.  He's old and boring and not really on the cutting edge of offenses like Sark, Ole Miss's OC, and a good amount of others.  We should be very happy about him for his S. Ga recruiting ties and I believe his ability to develop QBs.

Luckily, Bobo isn't alone.  He's going to be running Harsin's offense and implement his views/idea.  I think/hope that should blend well.  

You just explained why I downvoted him. 

It's fine to point out perceived deficiencies in the dude's resume. They exist. Obnoxious, insulting, ignorant hyperbole, though, will always earn what it gets. 

47 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Obnoxious, insulting, ignorant hyperbole,

Not really sure where I saw this in his post

5 hours ago, W.E.D said:

It will be interesting to see how “cutting edge” Sark is at Texas (vs. Bama with all those weapons. He certainly wasn’t cutting edge when he was out West. If you think the OC at OM is running his offense, I believe you are mistaken.

Bobo says "we gonna run the ball and we gonna throw the ball."  Will Friend in the background somewhere yells out, Hell Yeah!  I'm ok with that.  

4 hours ago, Hank2020 said:

It will be interesting to see how “cutting edge” Sark is at Texas (vs. Bama with all those weapons. He certainly wasn’t cutting edge when he was out West. If you think the OC at OM is running his offense, I believe you are mistaken.

Lebby calls all the plays and is thought of one of the young brightest minds in college football. There's a reason he was one of our first choices to interview. 

On 3/23/2021 at 8:44 PM, AURex said:

It's never a good idea to hatchet your chickens before they count. :)

Seriously, I don't think it's a great idea for folks to be setting sky high expectations at this point. Nothing wrong with wanting good things and hoping to see them, but I'm more or less with you on the "show me" thing.

15 hours ago, W.E.D said:

Lebby calls all the plays and is thought of one of the young brightest minds in college football. There's a reason he was one of our first choices to interview. 

My comment was just saying that I did not believe he brought the offensive system to Ole Miss, not doubting his capability to call lays. From what I have read he was usually using “systems” the HC’s brought rather than bringing it with him.

15 hours ago, W.E.D said:

As far as calling “all” the plays if you don’t see Kiffin working his play sheet you aren’t watching the same games I did last year. I believe Malzahn “gave up “ calling the plays also several times but you could tell when he did and didn’t on the sidelines.

Watched his Q&A with the media the other day. No mistaking Bobo's geographic origin. Looking forward to seeing his 'awfence' perform.

Archived