Notebook:

toddc

10 hours ago, DAG said:

We really lucked out getting coach Eason 

Agreed. I think he’s going to become a beast on the recruiting trail. Watching some of the clips from his on field coaching, I love his energy with the players. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

Agreed. I think he’s going to become a beast on the recruiting trail. Watching some of the clips from his on field coaching, I love his energy with the players. 

I agree! I am excited to see what development will occur too. I could be wrong , but I feel like the D line has had so much talent but just untapped production. The defense will probably have to carry us this year, so I have no problem with targeting people from that side of the ball right now as a priority .

• Like 2

I think he believes he’s at the right school to succeed!

• Like 2
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, toddc said:

So do I...

• Like 3

1 hour ago, toddc said:

Gotta love the kid’s attitude if nothing else. These are the kinds of kids that make a program great IMO

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

I love his swag. Can’t wait to see him on the sideline at JHS!

I’d like to think he was picturing Saban, and especially Smart, standing in there right-handed with that pitch

• Haha 1

• Like 4

Elijah Canion 'locked in' to lead Auburn receiving corps in 2021

ByNATHAN KING 2 hours ago 

Elijah Canion was 6 feet tall by the time he was 13. And he wasn’t happy about it.

That’s when Canion first met Tevin Allen. Canion’s family brought him to Vista View Park in Davie, Florida, to work with Allen, who has trained more than 100 pro athletes and 1,000s of college and high-school athletes as CEO of Feet Global, a “professional agility training company.” Ever since, Allen has felt a close bond with the now-Auburn receiver: “He’s been on my hip since he was 13.”

Immediately, Allen saw potential in Canion’s size alone at such a young age. Canion, however, was worried about what it could mean for his playing career.

“He was sad he was that tall,” Allen told Auburn Undercover. “He always used to tell me, ‘I don’t want to play tight end.’ And my answer to him was, if we keep working on your feet and your route-running and crafting you, you won’t switch to tight end.”

And that’s just what Canion did. From middle school, through high school at Chaminade-Madonna Prep in Hollywood, Florida, now in the offseasons at Auburn, he’s worked with Allen in the Fort Lauderdale area in Florida.

“He’s always been big, he’s always been tall,” Allen said. “But he didn’t always have that mass he has now. He always had the height advantage, but I noticed he was very, very agile for being that big. I think the world will see that the next couple years. With someone who’s 6-foot-4 and 215 pounds being able to move like he moves — I truly think that’s what’s going to make him one of, if not the top receiver in the country before he leaves college.”

Auburn signed five wide receivers in its 2020 class, and Canion was the lowest-rated of all of them, according to the 247Sports Composite rankings. Yet he’s now in a position to be Auburn’s go-to wideout at the X receiver spot on the outside, taking over for Seth Williams. Canion was able to parlay a big bowl performance (80 yards and a touchdown on three receptions) into a leading role in spring practices under the Tigers’ new coaching staff.

As Allen said, Canion has “fallen in love with working out” over the past couple of years — which is a trait that Allen, who was a defensive back and All-American kick returner at Illinois State, said is necessary in wide receivers who want to play in the NFL.

Even the greats and those established in the pros, like former LSU receiver Odell Beckham Jr., come back to train with Allen and company to keep their bodies performing at the highest level. And Canion, along with Allen’s other pupils, train right alongside them.

“He’s going to play a big role at such a young age that he has to have an accelerated lifestyle,” Allen said of Canion. “The only way you’re going to build these kids up and get them in that mindset is to get them around guys who have actually done it.”

Canion was part of a few training sessions with Beckham Jr. at the start of May; Allen said Canion and his family wanted to make sure they booked Allen before Canion had to back on Auburn’s campus May 20 for his summer coursework.

With Allen able to get eyes on one of his favorite project athletes in Canion after his winter workouts and spring practices at Auburn, he instantly noticed the improvements the receiver had made in his strength, route-running and ball skills. 

“He's become a man," Allen said. "What that SEC conditioning he now has at Auburn does, is it lets him plant his feet better on routes and put more power in the ground when he’s running. People think if you get big, you lose speed. But if you put on the right weight and have a strength and conditioning program like Auburn’s, you actually build up your speed and athleticism by being able to plant stronger and actually help your explosiveness a lot.

“Elijah is special like that. You just don’t see a 6-foot-4 receiver able to release like that. He’s so mobile and so smooth that his route-running almost looks unorthodox.”

Canion watched and studied Beckham Jr., as he has over the years with every NFL player who comes to train with Allen while he’s been there. What Allen wants Canion to take away from working alongside pro athletes is that they’re not finished products, either. The best never think they are. 

Beckham Jr., a former first-round draft pick, NFL Offensive Rookie of the Year and three-time Pro-Bowler, exudes humility, Allen said, and always comes with a laundry list of areas in which he feels he’s lacking in his football skill set or his athleticism.

So Beckham Jr. said to Canion that he learned some things from watching him work. Of course, that sent Canion’s confidence to the moon. 

But Allen said Beckham Jr. wasn’t just being kind. There are aspects of Canion’s game that not only flash NFL potential for the future, but pro-ready ability right now. 

“He’s training with NFL players, and he’s doing certain things better than them,” Allen said of Canion. “He can maybe jump higher or release faster. But he also sees that they have a stronger mental. They’re locked in; they don’t put their hands on their knees when they’re tired. It’s little things that his Auburn coaches will talk about — it’s what allows a great athlete to become a great wide receiver. So just being able to sit down, hear from them, have conversations with them, eat with them — it’s all so important to get those little things.

“But it got him really, really motivated. He’s so locked in right now.”

With a handful of injuries to Auburn’s receiving corps in spring ball, Canion stepped up both on and off the field. In practice, he proved himself capable of being a go-to target, developing a rapport in the passing game with quarterback Bo Nix after their strong connection in the bowl game. Canion ended the spring as Auburn’s most-targeted receiver in the A-Day spring game, catching all six passes thrown his way for 51 yards and a touchdown.

Outside of practice settings, however — in meetings, film rooms or just hanging out with his teammates and coaches — is where Allen said Canion really shines, though. The rising redshirt freshman made a point to help new Auburn receivers coach Cornelius Williams with the transition period. He’s been a consistent visitor to Williams’ office since the coach arrived on campus.

“That kid really works hard and busts his butt,” Williams said of Canion in early April. “He goes 100 percent when he’s out there. … He’s always asking me questions. Even before I came in here it was like, ‘Hey, coach: What’s this or what’s that?’ We were literally talking before I came in here to talk to you guys. When a guy does that it means he cares.”

*** Get 30% off an annual Auburn Undercover subscription ***

*** Get FREE Auburn breaking news in your inbox ***

Auburn’s receivers room is easily the least-experienced group on the roster. It’s not lacking for talent, but its most veteran player, senior Shedrick Jackson, has only 10 career catches.

9COMMENTS

So Canion has an opportunity not just this coming season, but in Auburn’s offense for the foreseeable future, to be a consistent playmaker out wide. His goals are to be All-SEC and play in the NFL.

“What people don’t realize is he’s 18, turning 19 years old,” Allen said. “He’s still so young. He’s a year younger than everybody, and he’s still becoming what he wants to become. But you don’t have to wait until your junior and senior year to be the guy. He’s in a starting role, and the coaches are definitely going to be satisfied with the type of person and player he’s matured into."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

Folks, please take note:

People think if you get big, you lose speed. But if you put on the right weight and have a strength and conditioning program like Auburn’s, you actually build up your speed and athleticism by being able to plant stronger and actually help your explosiveness a lot.

9 minutes ago, toddc said:

“What people don’t realize is he’s 18, turning 19 years old,” Allen said.

No, I didn't realize that at all. Very interesting. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, toddc said:

Elijah Canion 'locked in' to lead Auburn receiving corps in 2021

I'll be interested to see how comes out as our leading WR in '21.

Canion or Capers could both lead the team in Yards.  Two really big WRs, plus TEs should make RZ fun.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

I'll be interested to see how comes out as our leading WR in '21.

Canion or Capers could both lead the team in Yards.  Two really big WRs, plus TEs should make RZ fun.

Add in Johnson at the slot with his quickness too.

If a HC/OC knows there offense, they know that either a big TE, tall WRs, or a super quick slot WR, can give you that chance to be successful in the RZ....and I hope it is fun. :)

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

Add in Johnson at the slot with his quickness too.

He seems to struggle a bit with drops and inconsistencies.  Still learning the position.  He should eventually be a good one, just not sure if this year will be it

Excited for this young receiving corp. Looking forward to seeing what they can do.  

• Like 2

• Like 2
  • Love 1

With the Dline additions the defense may end up being very good this season.  Only weakness I really see is having to get used to playing with new guys and possibly communication.  

2 hours ago, oracle79 said:

Like the attitude but, show me, don't tell me.

I believe he has been showing us ever since he’s been at Auburn. Great player skills with great attitude to match(IMO).

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

I believe he has been showing us ever since he’s been at Auburn. Great player skills with great attitude to match(IMO).

Absolutely. It was an interesting choice of words by him because "headhunter" would be one of the first few words used to describe his playing style. 

It is fair to say, though, that many of his compatriots have much yet to earn. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, oracle79 said:

Like the attitude but, show me, don't tell me.

If he plays like last year I’ll be good! Led the sec I believe in tackles.

• Like 1

• Like 1

• Like 1
  • Love 1

• Like 1
  • Love 1