2021 FB Schedule Ranked as 2nd Toughest

Proud Tiger

Harsin has a tough schedule to start his AU tenure. Ranked as 2nd toughest. An 8-4 record will be hard to get.

https://auburnwire.usatoday.com/2021/04/14/auburn-football-2021-schedule-espn-fpi-toughest/?utm_source=MSN&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaig

Just the nature of the beast with who we play in the SEC West.

Penn State and the Mississippi schools will determine alot

1 hour ago, Proud Tiger said:

Harsin has a tough schedule to start his AU tenure. Ranked as 2nd toughest. An 8-4 record will be hard to get.

https://auburnwire.usatoday.com/2021/04/14/auburn-football-2021-schedule-espn-fpi-toughest/?utm_source=MSN&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaig

My heart wants a '93 or '13 type season but I don't want the raised expectations that come after those. My head just wants to see a Coach Pat Dye type growth from year 1 to 3. 

11 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Had no idea you ever listened to anyone let alone me

You used to...

18 minutes ago, gr82be said:

My heart wants a '93 or '13 type season but I don't want the raised expectations that come after those. My head just wants to see a Coach Pat Dye type growth from year 1 to 3. 

Don't remember much about the OL in '93, but I'm assuming Dye didn't leave the cupboard bare.

The '13 offense- like the '10 one- was defined as much by the talented, veteran OL left by the previous coach as QB and scheme. Harsin... doesn't have that. What he does have that the '93 and '13 coaches didn't is sustained success at a quality, if not P5, FBS program.

TL;DR Your head is exactly where it should be on that IMO

46 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Stubborn mule you're about as bad as mikey

Worse if you ask my wife, and she doesn't even know mikey

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Don't remember much about the OL in '93, but I'm assuming Dye didn't leave the cupboard bare.

The '13 offense- like the '10 one- was defined as much by the talented, veteran OL left by the previous coach as QB and scheme. Harsin... doesn't have that. What he does have that the '93 and '13 coaches didn't is sustained success at a quality, if not P5, FBS program.

TL;DR Your head is exactly where it should be on that IMO

I'm older than you by a good bit and I don't really remember that much about the OL in '93 but I'm sure Dye had some horses in the barn. The one thing I remember about that team was that they refused to lose and didn't beat themselves. Terry Bowden had his faults but he was a good game day coach and manager of the situation. 

I don't think any of our schedules the next five years sets up as tough as 2019. Oregon was likely a skin of the tooth loss to us away from a playoff birth, we got 11-win Florida from the east, and LSU was at a height they won't even sniff any time again soon.

Of course, I'm sure Cal-Berkeley will unearth the next Aaron Rodgers in the next few years.

I'm willing to accept (not like, not endorse, not tolerate- accept) 7-5 if we don't look out of our depth in the games we lose. Previous coaches would lose that way, often when they had no business doing so.

How you lose often predicts how MUCH you will eventually win.

On 4/15/2021 at 9:15 PM, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

I'm willing to accept (not like, not endorse, not tolerate- accept) 7-5 if we don't look out of our depth in the games we lose. Previous coaches would lose that way, often when they had no business doing so.

How you lose often predicts how MUCH you will eventually win.

So do you agree that the requirement next year should be 8-4? Trying to get a feel for what our long term expectations should be.

6 hours ago, AUwent said:

So do you agree that the requirement next year should be 8-4? Trying to get a feel for what our long term expectations should be.

I'm willing to accept (not like, not endorse, not tolerate- accept) 7-5

1 hour ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

I'm willing to accept (not like, not endorse, not tolerate- accept) 7-5

Not talking about this year, talking about next year and beyond. If we're keeping our expectations low for this year, that means I'd like to think long term. I've laid out what I think are fair expectations over a three year period, so while we're predicting only 6-7 wins this year it's more productive (to me, at least) to think about the timetable to reaching where we want.

22 hours ago, AUwent said:

Long term should be 9 wins as the floor with better years sprinkled in. 

Every coach since the 80s has self sabotaged themselves in some way. Auburn is our own biggest obstacle.

18 hours ago, AUwent said:

Not talking about this year, talking about next year and beyond. If we're keeping our expectations low for this year, that means I'd like to think long term. I've laid out what I think are fair expectations over a three year period, so while we're predicting only 6-7 wins this year it's more productive (to me, at least) to think about the timetable to reaching where we want.

On 4/17/2021 at 12:32 PM, AUwent said:

Sorry, didn't realize you meant 2022.

I'd rather not make a statement like that about 2022 until AFTER I've seen a few games in 2021. We have no idea how the roster sets up for current staff and what they want to do or how they plan to do it.

2 hours ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

Sorry, didn't realize you meant 2022.

I'd rather not make a statement like that about 2022 until AFTER I've seen a few games in 2021. We have no idea how the roster sets up for current staff and what they want to do or how they plan to do it.

Fair enough, I just don’t want to become like TN where every year we hope for 7-5.

(Seriously, it’s mind-boggling how badly they let their program go.)

2 hours ago, AUwent said:

Fair enough, I just don’t want to become like TN where every year we hope for 7-5.

(Seriously, it’s mind-boggling how badly they let their program go.)

Thier program is in shambles for numerous reasons. We would have to make multiple bad hires in a row to get where they are. They're 2 decades in the hole right now. 

1 hour ago, W.E.D said:

Thier program is in shambles for numerous reasons. We would have to make multiple bad hires in a row to get where they are. They're 2 decades in the hole right now. 

Their decline definitely started with the 2001 SEC Championship, but 2008 was really when they went down the tubes. Their program over the last 15 years could literally be an entire course that anyone who wants to be an athletics administrator should be forced to take.

It's amazing--go back to late September 2004 on this site and you'll find threads about how afraid people were of going to Neyland. They spoke about it like we speak of Baton Rouge now.

11 hours ago, AUwent said:

Their decline definitely started with the 2001 SEC Championship, but 2008 was really when they went down the tubes. Their program over the last 15 years could literally be an entire course that anyone who wants to be an athletics administrator should be forced to take.

It's amazing--go back to late September 2004 on this site and you'll find threads about how afraid people were of going to Neyland. They spoke about it like we speak of Baton Rouge now.

Right, they've made countless awful hires after awful hires. Fulmer lost his edge (probably couldn't cheat as much after narc'ing on Bama).  Lane bailed after 1 year.  Dooley was a disaster, Butch Jones was a disaster.  They probably would have been better off hiring Schiano, but got shamed out of it and hired Pruitt. 

They AD has no money.  I'm not sure how Heupel will do.

But back to the point...they haven't beat bama in 14 years.  We complain about not being our rivals much, they don't at all.  Don't even compete.  We are a long ways from that.  Harsin would have to be a disaster then 2 more awful hires after that.

Archived