2023 Discussion Thread

Zeek

12 hours ago, cole256 said:

Let these guys tell it, we are dirt poor. We have a cup in our hand begging for scraps. We don't have anything to offer and all the good recruits are going to go between those 4 schools. 700 recruits is somehow going to go fit on these 4 schools. NIL ruined football! If it was like the old days then it would be different! We would have a bunch of 5 stars

We don't actually know how much any school is paying or will pay for NIL. There will be a whole lot more then 4 schools. A lot of the State schools have much larger enrollment then Auburn or Alabama so because of that have many more Alumni so just on numbers they should be able to raise more money.  The top Schools only have to beat you out on the elite players the 5*'s and higher rated 4*'s.  I used A&M and Texas as examples. Over last 10 years they have recruited well recently A&M even better but not at the level of the bama, UGA, Clemson.  NIL comes along and A&M doesn't just do well but blows away the class and Texas is looking really good now to.  The PAC Ten has been much more scrupulous about doing things the right way so has had good classes but not blow people away type classes now look at what is happening at USC. If UCLA jumps on that Bandwagon they have huge enrollments and very wealthy alumni.

Don't get me wrong I have always been for finding a way to help out the players financially but I would have preferred it in a more equitable manner and helping all the players across the board not just the big name players. 

Now as bad as it appears now over time it will do some self regulating. Even rich people are not going to throw out big money year after year especially when they don't always get the results that they expected. Another thing to look at right now a few teams like bama, Clemson, Ohio State who have been putting players into NFL may not have to match top dollar as players also want to get to NFL but as they loose a few top players to schools with more money and put less players in NFL that changes. In case of Ohio State Huge School with huge alumni base they can match NIL money bama and Clemson can't.

I predict over time this will hurt bama as much as Auburn. 

Edited by AuburnNTexas
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Over last 10 years they have recruited well recently A&M even better but not at the level of the bama, UGA, Clemson.  NIL comes along and A&M doesn't just do well but blows away the class

Speaking of TAMU:

D6E9E328-FE17-4560-820F-E4B7110BC054.jpeg

Announcement set for two days before Big Cat

• Like 1

On 6/27/2022 at 7:19 PM, Sizzle said:

For real. Everything’s the same it’s been for the last decade plus. Only thing that’s different is it looks like USC might be back to relevancy 

No, it’s different now because success and competency used to cause some schools to rise and fall. Success wasn’t guaranteed. Good recruiting wasn’t guaranteed. Because kids still wanted to win and still needed a school that would maximize their skills for the next level.

The NIL is going to eliminate down years for schools like TAMU, USC, Miami, Texas, etc. 

They are now the Yankees. The Yankees may not always win titles but they will ALWAYS have one of, if not THE MOST, talented rosters because they have the most money. They’ll always be able to make offers that big time MLB free agents can’t refuse.

The same will happen at the college level now. Consider the blue bloods the Yankees, now. They will automatically have recruiting success and field talented rosters, whether they’re coming off an 0-12 season or a 15-0 run. That IS different.

Take USC for instance. Before the portal and NIL, even with Riley incoming, that would be a 3 or 4 year rebuild to relevance, easily. Now, they’re competing for a playoff spot year 1.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AUlurker said:

JLee removed his prediction of Keldric Faulk to AU this morning. Close race between 4 schools.

Money talks!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, AUlurker said:

JLee removed his prediction of Keldric Faulk to AU this morning. Close race between 4 schools.

Keldrick by all accounts is just simply undecided. On the On3 recruiting podcast Cole Pinkston had visited Faulk and outside sources. No one knows how he's leaning but Auburn is always mentioned no matter who you ask.

Honestly, if I were in his camp I'd tell him to hold back on a commitment until end of the season. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, JBiGGiE said:

Keldrick by all accounts is just simply undecided. On the On3 recruiting podcast Cole Pinkston had visited Faulk and outside sources. No one knows how he's leaning but Auburn is always mentioned no matter who you ask.

Honestly, if I were in his camp I'd tell him to hold back on a commitment until end of the season. 

I'm listening to it now. I think the confidence that we were a lock was a little cart before horse type deal. JLee did say that the field is 55-45 over AU but there's multiple schools. So instead of like 80% AU it's more like 45-25-25-5 kind of deal.

On 6/30/2022 at 6:24 PM, JBiGGiE said:

Hope he doesn’t listen to you and will commit to us early

1 hour ago, Tigger1985 said:

Hope he doesn’t listen to you and will commit to us early

Well it would still work in our favor if so. Right now you got Nick Eason over at Clemson slamming our staff and sowing doubt toward the longevity of their tenure. Best way to stop that is to win.

13 hours ago, JBiGGiE said:

Well it would still work in our favor if so. Right now you got Nick Eason over at Clemson slamming our staff and sowing doubt toward the longevity of their tenure. Best way to stop that is to win.

What is Eason saying and where is the info coming from?

Mcelderry decommited from the dawgs. Gonna be real interesting. Bama, Vols, and us. Not gonna hold my breath but would be huuuuge. Like class changing huge

12 minutes ago, au302 said:

Mcelderry decommited from the dawgs. Gonna be real interesting. Bama, Vols, and us. Not gonna hold my breath but would be huuuuge. Like class changing huge

He's been on flip watch for a pretty good while now. I think we've got a great shot at pulling him in.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

He's been on flip watch for a pretty good while now. I think we've got a great shot at pulling him in.

This doesn’t sound too promising. 

https://www.al.com/highschoolsports/2022/07/anniston-3-star-offensive-lineman-decommits-from-sec-school.html

26 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

Now reading all Bama. 3 rivals future casts to Bama and a ton of optimism on their end. Damn. I've tried to be patient with Friend, but I think I've seen enough. Should've canned him back when we canned all the other SEC boyzzz and moved Bedell over there or something. 

Seems like the only way we’ll get McEelderry is if he commits to Bama and they process him at the end. Which pretty much speaks on how we’ll get most of our commits. They’ll be guys who Bama and UGA processed. This needs to be Friends last year at Auburn. This man hasn’t done anything 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, au302 said:

Now reading all Bama. 3 rivals future casts to Bama and a ton of optimism on their end. Damn. I've tried to be patient with Friend, but I think I've seen enough. Should've canned him back when we canned all the other SEC boyzzz and moved Bedell over there or something. 

*Sigh* That's sad. My information is almost a month old, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised things have changed since then.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

*Sigh* That's sad. My information is almost a month old, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised things have changed since then.

Hope they're wrong. We do have his cousin on board. Needs to get in his ear at the family Fourth of July barbecue this weekend

8 minutes ago, au302 said:

Hope they're wrong. We do have his cousin on board. Needs to get in his ear at the family Fourth of July barbecue this weekend

He is in his ear but that doesn’t mean anything in the grand scheme of things 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, au302 said:

I'm not buying it. By all accounts, they've reached out to keep him warm but I think this just a classic case of delusional bammerism. All bammers think they lead for whoever bama has offered. Just sounds like low-hanging fruit. I think we're still in a good spot.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, JBiGGiE said:

I'm not buying it. By all accounts, they've reached out to keep him warm but I think this just a classic case of delusional bammerism. All bammers think they lead for whoever bama has offered. Just sounds like low-hanging fruit. I think we're still in a good spot.

Love the confidence! Really, really hope you're right 

Lmao

Guy everyone expecting to flip to us... decommits and is gonna flip to Bama.

Lord we are bad at this

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

15 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Lmao

Guy everyone expecting to flip to us... decommits and is gonna flip to Bama.

Lord we are bad at this

But……weve got visits!!!

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, CR said:

But……weve got visits!!!

Funny how quickly it went from "look how awesome it's going, all these guys are visiting" to "man all the negatively is the problem" as soon as guys started committing 

• Like 1