The current legacy of Bo Nix

StatTiger

1 minute ago, StatTiger said:

Regardless of talent or coaching, the 2021 is struggling more than not, blocking 6 men in the box.

They certainly aren't great but I think we all can agree that teams not having to use their safeties too much as far as coverage makes it tougher to run.

If you look at most of plays that we miss or the open guys that weren't targeted they are one on one situations. Occupying safties are huge for a successful run game. 

• Like 3

I'm enjoying this convo but it seems like some are irritated. I don't understand why. I just wanted to point out I don't think I've read anybody lie complete blame Bo. Maybe if that is established people don't have to be upset. I'm pretty sure everybody have said it's a variable one of many.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A big ole mess is what it is.  Until there's a sizeable infusion of talent I don't see huge improvements coming to this offense.  It's hard to scheme around a mediocre oline, green WR's and a starting QB with fundamental flaws.  

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, StatTiger said:

SEC have a 15 percent winning percentage with 26 pass attempts or more, under 140 yards rushing and at least 21 points allowed.

Why don't you do it with out passing attmepts.

140 yds or less rushing and the defense gives up 3TDs+++++

I'd be the numbers are very similar and not QB dependent. 

The longer the season goes the more T.J. Finely starts to look like QB1. Bo is way too inconsistent to be a great QB1 in the SEC or most places. 

EOS

11 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I'm enjoying this convo but it seems like some are irritated. I don't understand why. I just wanted to point out I don't think I've read anybody lie complete blame Bo. Maybe if that is established people don't have to be upset. I'm pretty sure everybody have said it's a variable one of many.

If you want the truth, people get irritated with the half-baked opinions perpetuated constantly. 

ETA - And just to be clear, I'm not just directing that at you.

Edited by ValleyTiger
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, EastAl_Tiger said:

i was not paying attention to White's career at the time but were his issues as fundamental as Nix's? i.e., take away system, take away surrounding talent, was White doing the things he was supposed to do to be a good QB?

I would have to go back to review but he was not fundamentally flawed like Bo is with footwork, etc. His problems were more decision-making like you would expect from a starting freshman. Stan also benefited from a redshirt year

1 minute ago, fredst said:

I would have to go back to review but he was not fundamentally flawed like Bo is with footwork, etc. His problems were more decision-making like you would expect from a starting freshman. Stan also benefited from a redshirt year

weren't interceptions an issue?  can't recall. too long ago.

22 minutes ago, ValleyTiger said:

In games that Bo Nix starts Auburn averages less rushing yards.

I just don't know.....in 2019 we were 4th in the SEC with 199 yds/gm, in 2020 6th in the SEC with 172 yds/gm (before the bowl games), so far in 2021 we are 6th in the SEC with 206 yds/gm which includes 182 vs PSU, 163 vs LSU, and only 46 against uga - the better defenses we've faced.

The narrative that we cannot run bc of Bo is faulty. There's a number of reasons why, actually.

Yep... 166 yards rushing against SEC teams from 2019-2021 and 146 yards against SEC teams with winning records. Bo is 18-3 when AU rushes for at least 160 yards. Bottom line, Nix will need more support for Auburn to be successful.

Records from 2016-2020

Games with at least 26 pass attempts, under 140 yards rushing, and at least 21 points allowed to the opposition.

Alabama 4-1
Arkansas 0-21
Auburn 1-14
Florida 3-14
Georgia 3-6
Kentucky 0-6
LSU 2-6
Miss State 2-13
Missouri 1-15
Ole Miss 4-12
South Carolina 2-22
Tennessee 5-8
TAMU 3-15
Vanderbilt 1-19

15 percent win percentage for SEC teams from 2016-2020

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ValleyTiger said:

If you want the truth, people get irritated with the half-baked opinions perpetuated constantly. 

ETA - And just to be clear, I'm not just directing that at you.

The way I look at forums is there are going to be opinions. And whether we like it or not sometimes there's a right and wrong. Sometimes it's not. What I personally try to do is when I state an opinion I explain my logic as I feel that shows I'm not trolling, my perspective may or may not be right but it's legit and not just disagreeing just to do it. But that's just me. 

In this thread I don't think I saw anybody doing a half baked opinion. I legit like when people explain how they got to their conclusions. It's how I learn stuff I may not have known. But that's just my opinion. I agree with you if it's a guy who was saying Bo sucks and that's it, that's garbage. Or actually the opposite Bo's awesome it's everybody else. 

I really thought this was a good thread

• Like 2

1 minute ago, EastAl_Tiger said:

Yes...44 interceptions and 28 TD's from 1990-1992.

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, EastAl_Tiger said:

Yes, best I can recall. My memory is old and flawed, lol

17 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Why don't you do it with out passing attmepts.

140 yds or less rushing and the defense gives up 3TDs+++++

I'd be the numbers are very similar and not QB dependent. 

Because the point is Auburn has become too QB dependent. AU is throwing the football over 62 percent the last three games. The Tigers will continue to struggle on offense and Bo will take the majority of the flack. My point was to show that all teams for the most part, struggle on offense when they become QB dependent.

• Like 3

Just now, StatTiger said:

Because the point is Auburn has become too QB dependent. AU is throwing the football over 62 percent the last three games. The Tigers will continue to struggle on offense and Bo will take the majority of the flack. My point was to show that all teams for the most part, struggle on offense when they become QB dependent.

So the numbers are going to show that it doesn't matter what the QB does????  If you can't rush the ball and give up 3TDs++++ you lose most of the time...QB doesn't matter.

So we remove one variable and the outcome isn't effect...that means the QB doesn't have effect on those games

2 minutes ago, StatTiger said:

I know you aren't talking to me so excuse me as I find this interesting

But when I watch the games I feel like we are trying our best not to feature the qb. I feel like we run plays and stuff to almost hide QB as opposed to hand the offense to him. 

You disagree?

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, cole256 said:

The way I look at forums is there are going to be opinions. And whether we like it or not sometimes there's a right and wrong. Sometimes it's not. What I personally try to do is when I state an opinion I explain my logic as I feel that shows I'm not trolling, my perspective may or may not be right but it's legit and not just disagreeing just to do it. But that's just me. 

In this thread I don't think I saw anybody doing a half baked opinion. I legit like when people explain how they got to their conclusions. It's how I learn stuff I may not have known. But that's just my opinion. I agree with you if it's a guy who was saying Bo sucks and that's it, that's garbage. Or actually the opposite Bo's awesome it's everybody else. 

I really thought this was a good thread

Sure, we all like the good back and forths. It's why we stick around. 

I already offered an opinion that was half-baked earlier. Just simple and quick research can show that's faulty. If you want to say, Auburn struggles to run the ball against Bama and uga and other elite Ds then that's a different type of discussion as to the why's, but Auburn isn't alone in that fact either. 

I feel you're being sincere ITT, but you also offered up this to start: I just can't understand how a quarterback that isn't good at throwing a football is supposed to be a good QB

You knew well that was going to elicit responses just as over-the-top as that statement.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, StatTiger said:

Is it more the game script that caused this to happen?   In all 3 games we were playing from behind and the defense was playing to stop the run.

3 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

So the numbers are going to show that it doesn't matter what the QB does????  If you can't rush the ball and give up 3TDs++++ you lose most of the time...QB doesn't matter.

So we remove one variable and the outcome isn't effect...that means the QB doesn't have effect on those games

Of course it matters what the QB does. It's the reason why under those circumstances, it is possible to win but not likely. By taking away a huge element of the game (run offense), it obviously places additional pressure on the QB to have success.

3 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

Is it more the game script that caused this to happen?   In all 3 games we were playing from behind and the defense was playing to stop the run.

We have tried to run early but with limited success. During the last three games, AU is averaging only 3.9 yards per rush on 1st down, which increases the pass attempts on first down as the game progresses.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, StatTiger said:

Of course it matters what the QB does. It's the reason why under those circumstances, it is possible to win but not likely. By taking away a huge element of the game (run offense), it obviously places additional pressure on the QB to have success.

So then show me what the Win % is of teams that can't run the ball and the defense gives up 3++ TDs??

You have the data in front of you.

2 minutes ago, ValleyTiger said:

Sure, we all like the good back and forths. It's why we stick around. 

I already offered an opinion that was half-baked earlier. Just simple and quick research can show that's faulty. If you want to say, Auburn struggles to run the ball against Bama and uga and other elite Ds then that's a different type of discussion as to the why's, but Auburn isn't alone in that fact either. 

I feel you're being sincere ITT, but you also offered up this to start: I just can't understand how a quarterback that isn't good at throwing a football is supposed to be a good QB

You knew well that was going to elicit responses just as over-the-top as that statement.

Well that's my opinion. Just like I don't think a wr can be good if he can't catch well, I have long scoffed at people saying Jackson should start at wr for his blocking, or I don't think a linebacker should start or is good because he has awesome hands.

I don't see how a qb can be good if he isn't good at throwing the ball, that includes down field.  I don't think that's over the top at all. I was also read a statement quoted saying something about Bo that was no fault of his own. I'm not believing that Bo is without fault to problems on this offense. Just like I would never say it's all his fault when he has a game where there were 30 drops. I don't think that's over the top at all

7 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I know you aren't talking to me so excuse me as I find this interesting

But when I watch the games I feel like we are trying our best not to feature the qb. I feel like we run plays and stuff to almost hide QB as opposed to hand the offense to him. 

You disagree?

For the season, AU is 42% run during the first half. I was hoping we would be 60-65 percent but 3.9 yards per rush on first down is forcing Bobo to want to throw more on the early downs.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, StatTiger said:

We have tried to run early but with limited success. During the last three games, AU is averaging only 3.9 yards per rush on 1st down, which increases the pass attempts on first down as the game progresses.

I must say it is an interesting set of data.  I think there are more variables that influence the data and conclusions.

while it has no value at all to this discussion.  I wonder what the nfl numbers are like.  With some of the superior qb play, It would be interesting to say the least.