Things I Think I Saw (AU vs Ole Miss)....

JMR

54 minutes ago, JMR said:

Colby Wooden just keeps getting better and better. When I see a guy constantly improve from not only year to year, but week to week, I know he has to have been working his tail off. Wooden has done/is doing that, and I love watching it.

giphy.webp?cid=6c09b9520f6f8aec09b382916

• Like 2

Awesome job as always. This thread nails every point I would have made if I  had written it  myself. Thanks 😊 

• Haha 1

Coach @JMR, a good analysis as usual. There is a confidence when a Harsin team takes the field that it will be well prepared and the coaches will have a well thought out game plan. The Ole Miss game was just such an example. On offense, Bobo has some excellent game plans and is dialing up some very good plays 90% of the time. The usage of our TEs has been great to watch develop. It adds another dimension to our offense and is long overdue at Auburn. 

On defense, I don't like a bend but don't break defense either, but I get it. Don't give up big home run plays between the 20s, tighten up inside the 20. Frustrating for sure but you look up after the game and Ole Miss only has 20 points. Impressed by the coaching and the fight of our AU players. It's starting to get back to where it use to be. When a team plays Auburn they know they've been in a hard fought, tough football game.

Edited by IronMan70
  • Like 4

11 minutes ago, JMR said:

Something I meant to mention in TITIS this week....Ole Miss came into the game third in the nation in rushing yards per game, averaging 263.  Interesting (to me, anyway) how they had done that.  OC/QB Coach Jeff Lebby, whom Auburn tried to hire shortly after Harsin taking the head job, has been really good at creating easy blocking angles for his offense. He successfully did the same thing at UCF when Josh Heupel was head coach there.  Going into the game, I was curious to see how Derek Mason would attempt to neutralize that.  As it turns out, (I should have realized this going in), Mason has historically played his linebackers deeper than most coordinators do. The philosophy there is that he may give up a yard more on inside runs, but he'll not give up bigger plays outside the offensive tackles, which is where most "explosive plays" in the run game happen.  Anyway, that theory held up very well in the Ole Miss game, somewhat evidenced by Zakoby McClain's 14 tackles and the AU defense holding the Rebel Black Bears to over 100 yards below their season rushing average.  Just thought that was an interesting point about the game. 

coach how did you get so sexy? grins  i kid but thanx for the insights as they are probably my favorite thing about the board.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RunInRed said:

The OL's progress hasn't been talked about enough.  This unit was a big time weak spot going into the season and Friend and Co. have made the best of the talent we have.

Also, the Bobp comment is spot on ... not only QB development of Nix but also the scheme.  The 2-minute drive before half was the perfect example.

can i take this moment to brown nose in case my mouth gets me in trouble down the road? you know us old folks get senile and stuff............

14 hours ago, JMR said:
  • As an old punter myself, I was beyond pleased to see Oscar Chapman average 56 yards. I always suspected that Gus Malzahn limited what Arryn Sippos was allowed to do, and I’m glad to see that Chapmen’s ability is being put to full use. To be fair, I don’t “know” that about Gus, but making sure we didn’t outkick our coverage sounds like him.

Thanks as always coach!!  I have often thought this same thing about Sippos.  His recruiting videos showed him easily kicking around 50-60 yards and yet he never had one over 40 at AU.  I always thought Malzahn was telling him to not out kick the coverage.

1 hour ago, JMR said:

Something I meant to mention in TITIS this week....Ole Miss came into the game third in the nation in rushing yards per game, averaging 263.  Interesting (to me, anyway) how they had done that.  OC/QB Coach Jeff Lebby, whom Auburn tried to hire shortly after Harsin taking the head job, has been really good at creating easy blocking angles for his offense. He successfully did the same thing at UCF when Josh Heupel was head coach there.  Going into the game, I was curious to see how Derek Mason would attempt to neutralize that.  As it turns out, (I should have realized this going in), Mason has historically played his linebackers deeper than most coordinators do. The philosophy there is that he may give up a yard more on inside runs, but he'll not give up bigger plays outside the offensive tackles, which is where most "explosive plays" in the run game happen.  Anyway, that theory held up very well in the Ole Miss game, somewhat evidenced by Zakoby McClain's 14 tackles and the AU defense holding the Rebel Black Bears to over 100 yards below their season rushing average.  Just thought that was an interesting point about the game. 

That's a great insight Coach! 

16 hours ago, JMR said:

Brandon Council was a positive factor in this game

Good to know. I typically only noticed him when he was standing around and not blocking anyone. Glad he is improving.

16 hours ago, JMR said:

Brodarius Hamm got beat multiple times by a speed rush

Any ideas how the staff will compensate for this?

14 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

Good to know. I typically only noticed him when he was standing around and not blocking anyone. Glad he is improving.

Don’t know, of course, but one thing some teams do is widen the splits a little to put that rush end further from his target and change his path a little. Hamm can also line up a hair more off the LOS, which gives him a little more time to intercept the DE. He may need to adjust his pass set, meaning put his outside foot further back to speed up his weight transfer. He could, of course, just get quicker, but that ain’t likely. 

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, oracle79 said:

Just watching Hamm move in open space is painful. Are his legs o.k.?  Is it the braces? He just can not move.  Not a lot of athleticism on display.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, LKEEL75 said:

Thanks as always coach!!  I have often thought this same thing about Sippos.  His recruiting videos showed him easily kicking around 50-60 yards and yet he never had one over 40 at AU.  I always thought Malzahn was telling him to not out kick the coverage.

Sippos averaged 44 yards per punt during its Auburn career.

Screenshot_20211101-113355_(1).png

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Paladin said:

Sippos averaged 44 yards per punt during its Auburn career.

Screenshot_20211101-113355_(1).png

So CGM took 10...20....30 yards off his kick by choice

First day of Practice...

His recruiting thread....

22 hours ago, toddc said:

Awesome job as always. This thread nails every point I would have made if I  had written it  myself. Thanks 😊 

Better than I could do! Felt like I went! Thank you!

Thanks Coach. Appreciate you taking the time. I’m beginning to look forward to the games again myself. War Eagle! 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, EastAl_Tiger said:

Just watching Hamm move in open space is painful. Are his legs o.k.?  Is it the braces? He just can not move.  Not a lot of athleticism on display.

The fact that we are having to play him at RT shows the mess left behind on the line. Coffey is probably a better pass blocker but he's apparently too light. A common thought I have read, and one that I agree with, would be to slide Hamm to LG, Trox to RT, and keep Zierer at LT. Council would be the odd man out in that scenario

Feels good to be optimistic again about Auburn football, and our coaching staff.  Hope Bobo stays around for a long time.

• Like 3

I’m more impressed by the use of “proclivity” in the op! 
 I particularly enjoyed the toss sweep out of the I.

• Love 1

On 10/31/2021 at 9:54 PM, JMR said:

As an old punter myself, I was beyond pleased to see Oscar Chapman average 56 yards. I always suspected that Gus Malzahn limited what Arryn Sippos was allowed to do, and I’m glad to see that Chapmen’s ability is being put to full use. To be fair, I don’t “know” that about Gus, but making sure we didn’t outkick our coverage sounds like him.

C9D1BE92-72CB-4C2E-B8C7-233DA995EB7A.jpeg

On 10/31/2021 at 8:54 PM, JMR said:

I’m impressed with the job OL coach Will Friend is doing

Glad you said this . Like Bobo, are fan base seems to be hypercritical on him. 

• Like 2