Things I Think I Saw (AU vs Ole Miss)....

JMR

6 hours ago, DAG said:

Glad you said this . Like Bobo, are fan base seems to be hypercritical on him. 

Guilty. I'm just going to call it an intentional reverse jinx that worked, though. You can't prove otherwise.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I've been Team Bobo from the when we first heard his name floated as possible OC. There was a time earlier in the season that I was concerned with our lack of offensive identity, but since becoming better attuned to our personnel that hasn't been an issue. He's doing a great job from week 2 week utilizing our player's strengths and attacking opponent's weaknesses and tendencies. What he's done to help Bo Nix cannot be understated either.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, DAG said:

I think his biggest disappointment so far has been recruiting....where everyone expected him to shine. He's been OK. He's probably done a better job on the field than most ppl expected.  For the most part we're a pretty solid pass blocking unit and okish run blocking. That's really good for the talent we have

Edited by W.E.D
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, DAG said:

If I had to admit anything it's that I'm not too big on him. But I've been one of the few trying to show the o line isn't as bad as people make it out to be. We aren't going to look to good against the elite but they are more than capable against the arky 's and ole miss and miss st.....

I've been pro Harsin since Greene brought him in. And my thought is like with everybody else whoever he wants I'm good with because I want him to have whatever he feels like he needs to be successful.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, ValleyTiger said:

I've been Team Bobo from the when we first heard his name floated as possible OC. There was a time earlier in the season that I was concerned with our lack of offensive identity, but since becoming better attuned to our personnel that hasn't been an issue. He's doing a great job from week 2 week utilizing our player's strengths and attacking opponent's weaknesses and tendencies. What he's done to help Bo Nix cannot be understated either.

I was cautiously optimistic that his QB whisperer rep might align with Harsin's offensive vision for good results. Remains to be seen if this is a championship-caliber offensive staff but we undeniably have our most robust offense in years- by a significant margin- and Bo looks significantly better, even against mediocre competition, than at any point prior. 

The most exciting part to me is they seem to understand game script, down and distance, etc, they understand how to rotate (or not rotate) players, players are multiple in their roles, any number of guys will get their number called in the biggest moments, red zone play calling is creative and unpredictable... This is some fresh ass air we're breathing these days. 

• Like 5

51 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

I think his biggest disappointment so far has been recruiting....where everyone expected him to shine. He's been OK. He's probably done a better job on the field than most ppl expected.  For the most part we're a pretty solid pass blocking unit and okish run blocking. That's really good for the talent we have

Odd statement on his recruiting results. He has delivered 50% of our OL commitments so far.

3 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

Odd statement on his recruiting results. He has delivered 50% of our OL commitments so far.

He's been known as an ace recruiter and has pulled multiple elite level guys to UT....the school everyone was terrified we'd turn into.  Not like he was at Bama doing it.  I like Bobo and Harris, but we haven't gotten much/any traction with high level guys many thought he'd be able to snag...at least not yet.

2 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

He's been known as an ace recruiter and has pulled multiple elite level guys to UT....the school everyone was terrified we'd turn into.  Not like he was at Bama doing it.  I like Bobo and Harris, but we haven't gotten much/any traction with high level guys many thought he'd be able to snag...at least not yet.

Poor attempt at sarcasm related to his son committing. Understand your point. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

Poor attempt at sarcasm related to his son committing. Understand your point. 

Ah ok, ha.  Completely missed that.

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

I was cautiously optimistic that his QB whisperer rep might align with Harsin's offensive vision for good results. Remains to be seen if this is a championship-caliber offensive staff but we undeniably have our most robust offense in years- by a significant margin- and Bo looks significantly better, even against mediocre competition, than at any point prior. 

The most exciting part to me is they seem to understand game script, down and distance, etc, they understand how to rotate (or not rotate) players, players are multiple in their roles, any number of guys will get their number called in the biggest moments, red zone play calling is creative and unpredictable... This is some fresh ass air we're breathing these days. 

Also the opening scripts for games have been great and hopefully that continues. Especially when we get the ball first. Great job by Bobo outside of the fade calls. I think the one to Landen could’ve worked Saturday.

• Like 1

Unless Seth Williams comes walking through that door, fades aren't going to work with our current players.

• Like 3

Leota sometimes forgets to set the edge and sometimes he sets the edge but gets caught looking to help inside. Don't get me wrong he is a good player!

But a DE has to remember all his help is inside and he has to play that way no matter what eye candy he is presented.

Edited by WDavE

Thanks Coach for the great write-up:

I can’t say enough about the job being done by OC Mike Bobo as well. I was less than excited about the hire, but have to admit, I was wrong. I don’t recall an Offensive Coordinator at Auburn (maybe Al Borges?) doing a better job of manipulating opposing defenses via formations, misdirection, and play calls. As an old coach, I’d hate the prospect of preparing a defense for all that Bobo offers. The use of multiple tight ends….and I mean USE, not just deployment…is just a pleasure to watch.

I agree that Bobo wasn't the splash Offensive Coordinator that I wanted either, but he has done a fantastic job. The 3 designed  Quarterback runs by Bo Saturday were all at the perfect time. I also Love the use of the Tight ends & Shenker moving from Fullback to Tight end is awesome. I thought when we signed Brandon Frasier he was going to be the man, but with Shenker, Deal, Fromm, King & next year Ducker coming in, he might never get a chance. Good times indeed. 

Game planning since the LSU game has been what you would expect.  Using all the weapons he has.  Bo running the ball, passes to backs, etc.  And the change at WR are equal to Bo's improvement.  I rewatched Arky and Ole Miss.  The receivers are getting separation, not dropping balls and are getting YAC....hard to see on TV, but I noticed nice blocking as well.  They played very well this past week.  

• Like 4

Regarding Will Friend's recruiting, in short order he delivered us Jarquez Hunter and Colby Smith last year.

It was always going to be an uphill battle for the elite OLs in the 2022 class, but I'm excited about what tough play to the whistle type, smart guys like EJ Harris and Drew Bobo can bring to the table. 

Mike Bobo already delivered one QB recruit and is making a push for another familiar name committed to another school atm.

On 11/2/2021 at 7:35 AM, McLoofus said:

This is some fresh ass air we're breathing these days. 

Love It!

• Love 1

On 11/1/2021 at 8:27 PM, au302 said:

The fact that we are having to play him at RT shows the mess left behind on the line. Coffey is probably a better pass blocker but he's apparently too light. A common thought I have read, and one that I agree with, would be to slide Hamm to LG, Trox to RT, and keep Zierer at LT. Council would be the odd man out in that scenario

I would think Council would be one we wanted to keep on the field. Maybe slide Austin to RT and keep Zierer at LT, and have Hamm as the first man off the bench? 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, ValleyTiger said:

It was always going to be an uphill battle for the elite OLs in the 2022 class, but I'm excited about what tough play to the whistle type, smart guys like EJ Harris and Drew Bobo can bring to the table. 

I've heard that Bobo is considered an interior line guy and Harris is more a true tackle, yet Bobo plays LT for Auburn High and Harris RT. Is there a particular reason for this? I would think the better tackle prospect would tend to play LT...

4 hours ago, Rednilla said:

I've heard that Bobo is considered an interior line guy and Harris is more a true tackle, yet Bobo plays LT for Auburn High and Harris RT. Is there a particular reason for this? I would think the better tackle prospect would tend to play LT...

Maybe Auburn's QB is left handed. 

5 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Maybe Auburn's QB is left handed. 

That's a fair thought. Or maybe he's a road grader better suited to the right side for run blocking purposes, and (maybe?) needs work with pass blocking technique. I don't have a clue.

But I know that Harsin's chief of staff is especially high on Harris. I think that's more to do with the need at the position than it is thinking that Bobo won't make a good interior lineman, but they think Harris has a chance to be something special.

11 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

That's a fair thought. Or maybe he's a road grader better suited to the right side for run blocking purposes, but needs work with pass blocking technique. I don't have a clue.

But I know that Harsin's chief of staff is especially high on Harris. I think that's more to do with the need at the position than it is thinking that Bobo won't make a good interior lineman, but they think Harris has a chance to be something special.

That's my actual thought. 

As for Bobo... you hear often that high school teams will put their best athlete at QB, no matter what his actual best position would be. Could be a similar thing. He might have the brain and athleticism to protect the blind side in high school, but might not have the frame to do it in the SEC. 

• Like 1

From recent post in Harris's recruiting thread, maybe it's related to the amount of time he's been playing football and Bobo's longer experience on the line

On 11/3/2021 at 10:24 PM, Paladin said:

On 11/4/2021 at 2:28 AM, Rednilla said:

Yup as @akillshotmentioned, I'd chalk their HS positions up to Harris's (in)experience and Bobo's versatility. Remember Bobo plays center for AHS, too.

As far as projecting them to college, like you said Bobo is better suited as an interior guy. I think he's skills and football IQ will translate well to playing Center. Harris could be RT or guard. Best thing about them both to me is that they play til the whistle. 

Edited by ValleyTiger
  • Like 1