Things I Think I Saw....AU vs aTm......

JMR

5 minutes ago, JMR said:

he missed some key throws that would have likely changed the trajectory of the AU offense.

Wonder how much different the game is if he hits that wide open deep ball for a 50 yard score

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Wonder how much different the game is if he hits that wide open deep ball for a 50 yard score

Completely.

Heck if we just go up 6-3 instead of missing the fg, we put all the pressure in the world on TAMU. That alone changes the calls and outcome.

• Like 9

15 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Completely.

Heck if we just go up 6-3 instead of missing the fg, we put all the pressure in the world on TAMU. That alone changes the calls and outcome.

Absolutely.  And the personal foul on roughing the punt returner.   Pinned inside the 10 yard and now it’s moved out to the 25 and 1 first down changes field position.   Little things like this is what Auburn can’t afford during games.  Auburn doesn’t have the fire power to get away making mistakes 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, aubaseball said:

Absolutely.  And the personal foul on roughing the punt returner.   Pinned inside the 10 yard and now it’s moved out to the 25 and 1 first down changes field position.   Little things like this is what Auburn can’t afford during games.  Auburn doesn’t have the fire power to get away making mistakes 

Especially this year!  The more CBH influences the team the more those little things won't necessarily be so big. 

Our poor run blocking really stood out to me, especially compared to TAM's run blocking.

It seems that the first contact on our backs is usually right at the line of scrimmage.  There's rarely even a small crease. Our backs have to work extremely hard to get any positive yardage on their carries, while TAM backs had enough of a crease or hole to get at least 4 yards before contact.

And if our running game struggles, the entire offense struggles.

Edited by homersapien
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, aubaseball said:

I thought the fair catch signal by the ATM return man was pretty shaky. With the angle our guy was coming from, I doubt he could even see it. Seems like back in the day you had to be very obvious in your fair catch wave or you got blown up. 

• Like 1

There were three things that stuck out to me in the game:

• Game planning was different than the last several games.  Nix only ran 2 times that I can remember on designed runs.  Not sure if they saw something A&M was doing to shut him down; or they just thought not using Nix's legs was the way to go for this game.  It didn't make sense...especially given that the overall running game struggled.  Nix should have had his ~10 run like in the last games; outside, draws, etc.  I think he had one good gain on a draw and one 1 yard gain trying to get outside.  Either way; what had been a big part of a resurgent offense was not used.
  • Tendancies?  It just looked like A&M was everywhere when they needed to be on defense.  Either they have the best LB and outside rushers at identifying screens; or they new Auburn was going the screen the 3 times they tried it and just smothered the receiver and the QB.  They hit Hunter as soon as he got the ball everytime he was in the game...I have to believe they saw something(s) in their prep and Elko's defense was there waiting for plays.
  • A&M has had an issue with keeping containment when pressuring the QB.  They did not this week.  They never allowed Nix outside and the LB's and edge rushers did an outstanding job of keeping Auburn bottled up.  Wherever he went, folks were there to bottle him up.  They just generally got pressure and push and didn't give much room to roam.  I thought Nix did reasonably well not bailing on the pocket; but no matter what; they just didn't get folks open.  The sack on the 1st possession was a cover sack.  

The stadium was LOUD.  There was not much orange there.  109k making noise had a lot to do with what was happening.  A&M was better prepared and had Nix's formula.  Getting pressure on him early and not letting him get rolling was key.  When he gets rolling he can be tough as we have seen the last few weeks.  He never had that chance this week.  

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, japantiger said:

The stadium was LOUD.  There was not much orange there.  109k making noise had a lot to do with what was happening.  A&M was better prepared and had Nix's formula.  Getting pressure on him early and not letting him get rolling was key.  When he gets rolling he can be tough as we have seen the last few weeks.  He never had that chance this week.  

2nd largest attendance in Aggie history. 

From a civilian point of view I had to give a shout out for Roger McCreary. I feel as though he was significant in keeping the game from getting out of hand. He kept up with the receiver to a degree that he could have been his shadow. 

• Like 5

In the first half AU averaged 4.5 yards per passing attempt. They’ve dumbed down the offense as much as it can be dumbed down. Bo is just incredibly inaccurate. 

In the big time football you must have a balanced offense. Must!  TAM was never forced to “shift to defend,” as Auburn’s passing game never became a concern. 

It was 3-3, TAM was on a concerted drive, the momentum was changing.  Bo had been  given three quarters to put some kind of pressure on TAM, and couldn’t. Even a mistake-prone second stringer is not a huge gamble there, yet Finley sat. 

Is Harsin running this team, or are the friends of the Nix family running it?  It’s being destroyed; signing day is next month.  Auburn desperately needs linemen, but why would the best consider Auburn after a performance like we just saw?  The offense looked TERRIBLE. HARSIN LOOKED TERRIBLE. Auburn is 2-3 touchdowns behind the SEC best. Nothing has changed in four years. And we need recruits. 

• Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1
  • Dislike 7

2 hours ago, JMR said:

One thing that stood out to me with Auburn’s offense was the number of times AU lined up strong to the boundary, and then ran a play into the boundary. A&M, on the other hand, often lined up strong into the boundary, but then ran a play to the wide side of the field. The basic tenet here is that the offense lines up strong to the boundary, the defense matches that alignment, and then the play is run to the wide side, where there are less defenders and more space. I don’t know that what AU was doing was “wrong”, just that it was “unusual”.

We've been doing this all year, which has been quite frustrating. Almost like we don't want to run left. 

19 minutes ago, SickOfSucking said:

In the first half AU averaged 4.5 yards per passing attempt. They’ve dumbed down the offense as much as it can be dumbed down. Bo is just incredibly inaccurate. 

In the big time football you must have a balanced offense. Must!  TAM was never forced to “shift to defend,” as Auburn’s passing game never became a concern. 

It was 3-3, TAM was on a concerted drive, the momentum was changing.  Bo had been  given three quarters to put some kind of pressure on TAM, and couldn’t. Even a mistake-prone second stringer is not a huge gamble there, yet Finley sat. 

Is Harsin running this team, or are the friends of the Nix family running it?  It’s being destroyed; signing day is next month.  Auburn desperately needs linemen, but why would the best consider Auburn after a performance like we just saw?  The offense looked TERRIBLE. HARSIN LOOKED TERRIBLE. Auburn is 2-3 touchdowns behind the SEC best. Nothing has changed in four years. And we need recruits. 

This is a bit of an overreaction

Edited by W.E.D
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, SickOfSucking said:

If the offensive players do their job and execute the plan then we're looking at a different result. So how exactly did Harsin look terrible? Harsin can't help the fact that Gus didn't recruit at positions of need for the last 3-4 years. I'm sure he's going to recruit much better as far as positions of need and unlike Gus he seems like he is capable of actually developing talent that he brings in.

While we're at it. If you're sick of sucking then you might try depending on yourself for accomplishments versus a group of 18-22 guys who you have zero connection to. You don't put in any of the work they do to be whining about losses or gloating about wins anyway when it gets down to it.

• Like 2

I was upset with Online on the screen called. None of them made enough contact to sell the play and none slowed their man down long enough to give Bo any time to make the throw.

All seem to be only intent on getting out in front of the play.

• Like 1

Great analysis as usual.  My daughter went to the game.  Loudest crowd/stadium she’s ever experienced including Iron Bowl etc.  On 3rd downs when we had ball…deafening.  Sure that players on the field unable to hear.  Not an excuse but might explain some of the miscues in the passing game?  It’s apparent now that our receivers are not talented enough to make plays on a consistent basis (in spite of coaching).  Without a consistent running game (OL?) our offense just ground to a halt in this game.  Can’t expect perfect passes and miraculous scrambling from the qb position in every game.  BTW…A&M fans very welcoming and hospitable.

• Like 2

I haven't seen any eval of this game mention the non called clear & prolonged WR jersey grab by aTm on a critical AU 3d down. The pass was otherwise on the money for an AU 1st down or more. If that's called we have a 1st down in aTm territory down 6-3. 

• Like 3

We are who we are. Pretty good, not good enough. I will say, I loved how the defense played overall. With the offense doing so little, most defenses crumble at some point. Auburn's did not.

A&M receivers well coached....guest who their coach is???? Dameyune Craig....We need to bring to him back to Auburn....as a coach and recruiter!!!!

I myself only noticed one play run to the boundary in this game. It was a sweep with maybe Shivers? I shouted out loud when I saw it developing. Disaster as soon as the ball was snapped. 

Tank absolutely ran like a beast in this game. He is running significantly harder than he was in that 2-3 week span at the end of September-early October. Again, not sure if this was due to injury or attitude or what, but he’s running like 2020 Tank again. If the line blocked better on Saturday, it might have made a difference. 

I definitely agree with JMR that A&M used that off week beautifully to their advantage. I can’t say that Auburn, when focused and prepared is the better team, but I think we’re close when we’re 100%. 

• Like 1

Coach, thanks as always! In case you get back on here & check responses... I just noted that Harsin, in his presser today, said we need better offensive play AND better play calling. I think he also said once that we needed a better plan. He didn't linger on those points, but he made them. We've praised Bobo over the past weeks for developing this offense, but I find myself wondering if Harsin's words indicate he was not pleased with the offensive staff this week. To my very untrained eye, it appeared A & M had scouted us well (as you said), were well prepared on defense (as you said), & we didn't seem to make many adjustments. Or maybe we did but just didn't execute worth a crap. All of which is to ask if you think the offensive game plan & play calling seemed "off" this week? In fact, I'm wondering if you were hinting at such with your comments about us running into the boundary. 

8 hours ago, W.E.D said:

This is a bit of an overreaction

Just a tad huh? Geez. I have a family member who wants to fire everyone and bench half the team when we lose . Very annoying.
Since we are likely out of it, I would like for Auburn to beat Alabama so I can see A&M play Georgia. I think a good match up! Not a Jimbo fan but like the A&M fans. Was there in 2013. Really nice fans.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, TigerTennis80 said:

Coach, thanks as always! In case you get back on here & check responses... I just noted that Harsin, in his presser today, said we need better offensive play AND better play calling. I think he also said once that we needed a better plan. He didn't linger on those points, but he made them. We've praised Bobo over the past weeks for developing this offense, but I find myself wondering if Harsin's words indicate he was not pleased with the offensive staff this week. To my very untrained eye, it appeared A & M had scouted us well (as you said), were well prepared on defense (as you said), & we didn't seem to make many adjustments. Or maybe we did but just didn't execute worth a crap. All of which is to ask if you think the offensive game plan & play calling seemed "off" this week? In fact, I'm wondering if you were hinting at such with your comments about us running into the boundary. 

I believe that overthrow by Bo wasnt just a missed opportunity, it let their defense know we could not stretch the field.  We never could sustain a drive after the first one.  They crowded the line and took away the run, and we tried short passes, they crowded the line, took away the run AND the short passes, screens, and we had nothing.   

I dont know what else Bobo could have done, he cant throw to open receivers, and he cant catch the ball for them when it is accurately thrown.  

I agree we have two great CBs, Simpson has really played well and McCreary was fantastic as usual.  

• Like 1

We lost to GA and TAMU; the #1 and #2 defenses in the nation.  Their defensive talent was better than our offensive talent.  It's not much more complicated. 

I think we went backwards on scheming for the game (Nix not running, etc.); but this exposed the overall gap in OL talent, Receiver talent and yes, QB.  I didn't really have a beef with not putting the #2 QB in.  Not sure Finley could have been more effective against that kind of pressure and lack of separation.  There is a limit to how much any coaching group will be able to do with this talent.  

A&M's OL  (and their WR group) has gotten consistently better this year; they started poorly; their OL is starting 2 freshmen and they are playing better than the 5th year TN transfer on their line (the one that committed the two holding penalties against Auburn).  Their Freshman OL talent is better than ours and better than the transfer they brought in.  We need better talent; and that takes time.  Recruiting is everything.

• Love 1