It's all about the QB

WarEagle231

We are in a QB crisis of sorts right now and I thought this might give some perspective. Football teams tend to win or lose based on defense and QB play. The fact the Auburn has no proven answer at QB is getting a lot of us fans into a tailspin mentally.  

I'm sure George fans were in a similar spot with Stetson Bennett as their QB heading into 2021. Walk-on. The only thing he proved up to 2020 was that he wasn't the answer at QB if Georgia wanted to win a championship.  Many Auburn fans are worried that TJ Finely isn't up to the task or even the new transfer Calzada. Nothing is guaranteed but can we give these guys a chance?

STETSON  BENNETT 2020 Stats

86 155 55.5 1,179 7.6 8 TD 6 INT      

TJ Finley 2021 Stats

70 128 827 54.7 6.5 51 6 TD 1 INT

Zach Calzada 2021 Stats

184 328 56.1 2,185 6.7 17 TD 9 INT     
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, WarEagle231 said:

We are in a QB crisis of sorts right now and I thought this might give some perspective. Football teams tend to win or lose based on defense and QB play. The fact the Auburn has no proven answer at QB is getting a lot of us fans into a tailspin mentally.  

I'm sure George fans were in a similar spot with Stetson Bennett as their QB heading into 2021. Walk-on. The only thing he proved up to 2020 was that he wasn't the answer at QB if Georgia wanted to win a championship.  Many Auburn fans are worried that TJ Finely isn't up to the task or even the new transfer Calzada. Nothing is guaranteed but can we give these guys a chance?

STETSON  BENNETT 2020 Stats

86 155 55.5 1,179 7.6 8 TD 6 INT      

TJ Finley 2021 Stats

70 128 827 54.7 6.5 51 6 TD 1 INT

Zach Calzada 2021 Stats

184 328 56.1 2,185 6.7 17 TD 9 INT     

Stetson Bennett as capable as he has played is truly only successful because the talent he has around him. He was one of the weaker links in the NC game yesterday but he had players went out there and made plays for him. Cool running the rock, on that free touchdown pass he threw it up there but his WR did make a great play with an Alabama guy all over him. I agree QB play is important but we really need to get up to speed with our line and WR play badly. I can’t think of a single wide receiver on our team who can make the plays those UGA guys were making yesterday. 

Edited by DAG
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, wcware said:

We don’t have a receiver or lineman that would crack the 2 deep at either school. That’s facts

No reason to stop at WR or OL.  Throw in QB, TE, DT, DE, S, LB, CB.

Outside Tank I'm not sure there is really a player that would get a lot of PT.  s***, Bama actually has a good kicker now.

Edited by W.E.D
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

I agree to an extent. Both QBs are good with the group of players they have around them. However, outside of Young's arm talent they are not prototypical pro type QBs physically. Both are small by Pro standards.

57 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

No reason to stop at WR or OL.  Throw in QB, TE, DT, DE, S, LB, CB.

Outside Tank I'm not sure there is really a player that would get a lot of PT.  s***, Bama actually has a good kicker now.

That's been our problem for a couple years now.  I don't really think there are any players of ours that would start at bama or UGA.  The talent gap is huge.

3 minutes ago, fishepa said:

That's been our problem for a couple years now.  I don't really think there are any players of ours that would start at bama or UGA.  The talent gap is huge.

Tank would be the only one on our current roster.

McCreary would have been a starter on both teams.  I'd like to think Zakoby would have been too, but he's smaller than the LBs they play and both those team have elite LBs too.  He'd have gotten some playing time at least.

We are two talented receivers and QB away from competing with Georgia this year and beating Alabama. Probably win Penn st and South Carolina too. Maybe lose A&M and Miss St but probably split between those two. 

• Like 3

It's about lines. Georgia and bama have them, we don't. We've recruited those areas very poorly. I don't think Nix, Finley or Calzada are top shelf SEC QB talent, but all would have been good enough to be in the mix with better blocking up front. Our defensive line play hasn't been awful, but we have had very little pass rush for years which makes it difficult to get our defense off the field. Even with a bend don't break philosophy, after enough long drives...the wear and tear adds up. 

I don't think it matters who starts at QB next season. With what we have blocking for them, they're going to struggle. We've got to basically rebuild an offense from the floor up. 

• Like 3

Bennett was bad for 75% of the game. Then UGA realized they could just bring in extra blockers and throw 1 on 1 on McKinstry or their other CB and win every matchup. It’s probably a 30 point butt kicking if Stetson either gets the ball out quicker earlier in the game or they just attempt to throw deep earlier

1 hour ago, DAG said:

Stetson Bennett has capable as he has played is truly only successful because the talent he has around him. He was one of the weaker links in the NC game yesterday but he had players went out there and made plays for him. Cool running the rock, on that free touchdown pass he threw it up there but his WR did make a great play with an Alabama guy all over him. I agree QB play is important but we really need to get up to speed with our line and WR play badly. I can’t think of a single wide receiver on our team who can make the plays those UGA guys were making yesterday. 

I watched the game last night what I saw was a Heisman QB look pedestrian he lost two great WR;s but still had more talented WR's then Auburn. He looked pedestrian because they were in his face and he was running for his life. As to Stetson he also was running for his life most of the time as the vaulted Georgia O-Line was not very dominant.  Prior to game Georgia's only elite receiver was Pickens who has been hurt all year plus the TE. The TD pass where receiver made a great catch was thrown to only place where it could have been thrown as coverage was that tight. Stetson also completed a long throw to Pickens that Pickens had to make a great catch on but again the ball was there.  Last night the Georgia O-Line was not dominant with exception of one long run by Cook Georgia's running game was not that good. Stetson made some other throws to keep drives alive often with people in his face.  Stetson stepped up in a big game where his team wasn't dominant.   So the post where poster saw improvement on Stetson from previous year is legitimate. 

Bo looked all world when O-Line was giving him a pocket and WR's had separation it is when O-line is not dominant and WR's are not getting separation that you really can judge a QB. Stetson aced the test he even came back after a costly fumble that put bama ahead.  

Edited by AuburnNTexas

10 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

I watched the game last night what I saw was a Heisman QB look pedestrian he lost two great WR;s but still had more talented WR's then Auburn. He looked pedestrian because they were in his face and he was running for his life. As to Stetson he also was running for his life most of the time as the vaulted Georgia O-Line was not very dominant.  Prior to game Georgia's only elite receiver was Pickens who has been hurt all year plus the TE. The TD pass where receiver made a great catch was thrown to only place where it could have been thrown as coverage was that tight. Stetson also completed a long throw to Pickens that Pickens had to make a great catch on but again the ball was there.  Last night the Georgia O-Line was not dominant with exception of one long run by Cook Georgia's running game was not that good. Stetson made some other throws to keep drives alive often with people in his face.  Stetson stepped up in a big game where his team wasn't dominant.   So the post where poster saw improvement on Stetson from previous year is legitimate. 

Bo looked all world when O-Line was giving him a pocket and WR's had separation it is when O-line is not dominant and WR's are not getting separation that you really can judge a QB. Stetson aced the test he even came back after a costly fumble that put bama ahead.  

You saw Bryce Young look pedestrian but Stetson stepped up? Okay

34 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

We had a better version of what Bennett is for the past 3 years 

Eh, Bo wouldn't have completed a single one of those deep passes.  That was the difference that game

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, DAG said:

You saw Bryce Young look pedestrian but Stetson stepped up? Okay

Bryce had some great throws that are near TDs with non Tr-Fr WRs playing.  They dropped some passes that their other WRs catch.  Stetson looked awful outside 2-3 deep passes, that were actually really nice.

• Thanks 1

The difference was Stetson receivers made plays when he actually was accurate. Bryce threw several good balls and his guys dropped them. Once Williams went out it was a wrap.

Edited by e808
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

I thought YGA off. Line had a great 4th quarter. Difference in the game to me. Running game started to pick up and UGA also seemed to get out of their conservative game plan.

Just now, W.E.D said:

Bryce had some great throws that are near TDs with non Tr-Fr WRs playing.  They dropped some passes that their other WRs catch.  Stetson looked awful outside 2-3 deep passes, that were actually really nice.

That is what I saw. Umm Bryce Young was getting tattoo and still stepping up, avoiding rushers and making plays. He had not 1 but 2 of his best WRs out the game and Alabama for the most part was still under control for 3/4 of the game. One of his WRs dropped a perfect pass that could've ended up in a TD. He drops it then UGA blocks the ensuing FG. Bennet, whose story I love, looked timid and rattled AF most of the game until the last portion of the fourth quarter. He had a free play, threw the ball up within the vicinity of his player ( Which I expect from a D-1 qb) and his WR made an amazing catch. Even with Pickens running wide open, he still had to dive and make a great catch. Let's also not forget He fumbled twice. One in the first quarter he recovered after he tried to juke a defender. He almost fumbled  the hand off to Cook when he had his rushing TD. I am not dissing Bennet, but let's not point to him as the QB matters. This UGA team, top to bottom is very good at almost every position. I would consider the QB position one of their weaker ones. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

2 minutes ago, DAG said:

That is what I saw. Umm Bryce Young was getting tattoo and still stepping up, avoiding rushers and making plays. He had not 1 but 2 of his best WRs out the game and Alabama for the most part was still under control for 3/4 of the game. One of his WRs dropped a perfect pass that could've ended up in a TD. He drops it then UGA blocks the ensuing FG. Bennet, whose story I love, looked timid and rattled AF most of the game until the last portion of the fourth quarter. He had a free play, threw the ball up within the vicinity of his player ( Which I expect from a D-1 qb) and his WR made an amazing catch. Even with Pickens running wide open, he still had to dive and make a great catch. Let's also not forget He fumbled twice. One in the first quarter he recovered after he tried to juke a defender. He almost fumbled  the hand off to Cook when he had his rushing TD. I am not dissing Bennet, but let's not point to him as the QB matters. This UGA team, top to bottom is very good at almost every position. I would consider the QB position one of their weaker ones. 

Bryce looks really good to me at times then looks really average for long stretches.  Maybe b/c he's still young.  I watched most of Bama's games this year and still don't get where his 45/6 td/int and 67% stat line comes from.  It never "feels" that good.  

4 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Bryce looks really good to me at times then looks really average for long stretches.  Maybe b/c he's still young.  I watched most of Bama's games this year and still don't get where his 45/6 td/int and 67% stat line comes from.  It never "feels" that good.  

I just like his disposition. He did pretty dang good considering this was his first year starting. He is still a young QB. It is going to be the Andrew Luck sweepstakes next year when he becomes draft eligible. In a perfect world, my panthers would get him and Brian Flores after Matt Rhule destroys the franchise.

Edited by DAG
  • Like 2

Just now, DAG said:

I just like his disposition. He did pretty dang good considering this was his first year starting. He is still a young QB. It is going to be the Andrew Luck sweepstakes next year when he becomes draft eligible.

Yeah he's even keel, no emotions (except that last pick he threw).

Agree, he's good.  Not doubting that.  If he takes a next step and plays high level the whole time he'll win the hiesman again.  One day we'll have a QB who can throw a deep ball accurately and not go dark for 3 series b/c he got hit once.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, aucom96 said:

It's about lines. Georgia and bama have them, we don't. We've recruited those areas very poorly. I don't think Nix, Finley or Calzada are top shelf SEC QB talent, but all would have been good enough to be in the mix with better blocking up front. Our defensive line play hasn't been awful, but we have had very little pass rush for years which makes it difficult to get our defense off the field. Even with a bend don't break philosophy, after enough long drives...the wear and tear adds up. 

I don't think it matters who starts at QB next season. With what we have blocking for them, they're going to struggle. We've got to basically rebuild an offense from the floor up. 

Thus why i'd like to see DD get a real opportunity in an actual game. But i doubt CBH will have the time to build if we go 6-6 or worse next season.

16 minutes ago, DAG said:

At least the one they played.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DAG said:

I just like his disposition. He did pretty dang good considering this was his first year starting. He is still a young QB. It is going to be the Andrew Luck sweepstakes next year when he becomes draft eligible. In a perfect world, my panthers would get him and Brian Flores after Matt Rhule destroys the franchise.

Yes, he is a very cool customer.  Doesn't get rattled.  Was really hard for him last night for 2 reasons.  1)  GA executed the Texas A&M defensive plan...pressure at all costs and it worked.  Young never had a chance to set and throw; or was just plain pushed wide out of the pocket and foreced to throw to a shorter field while on the run.   And just like against TAMU, the running gain didn't compensate for anything last night.  Young was forced to throw too much...and 2) he had to throw to "humans" for most of the game instead of throwing to super-humans like he normally does.  But the constant pressure was the difference maker.

• Like 2