Men vs Texas A&M Game Thread

Maverick.AU

1 hour ago, CCTAU said:

It sounded like you were saying we took a lot of forced threes. 
We didn’t. Many of those were open threes. I mean, why cover them if we can’t hit them, right!

Yep, forced, unforced. Didn't matter couldn't throw it in the ocean

6 hours ago, Beaker said:

No sure I agree:  we don't have much depth at O.  Having a new PG wouldn't make us better at shooting the 3 and teams could still mitigate Kessler if we can't draw them out.  

PG's are allowed to shoot the ball too. Also a good PG absolutely makes EVERYBODY better shooters

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Beaker said:

Bruce explained why he allows his guys to shoot so many 3's even when the team is cold and he said "my guys give 100% on defense and that's nearly impossible to find in college. I tell them if you give me 100% on defense, I'll let you shoot your shot on offense." 

It must be said, the 3 is only Jabari's "shot".    We don't have a three point game this year and since we don't, inside the 3 point line will be jammed packed and it will be our undoing.  You can't win the NCAA championship if you don't have a balanced game.

If that's how he feels , it's a ridiculous take. Playing good, Solid D shouldn't give someone the right to take 36  3'S and make 6 of them.... Then say, it's OK boys, yall keep playing hard on D and I won't say anything while your flogging up 3's..Asinine 

• Like 1

Right now our confidence is shot. I think our guys are used to taking these shots, but it's a different deal taking them knowing that they are going to go in. It seems like we are shooting quickly rather than running a half court set. This falls on the coaching staff. When they scout the other team, they have to have counter moves for what the other team will do to stop us. At this point, we are scouted by everyone. Some teams can match up, some cannot. Our defense will keep us in games, but if we can't confidently make shots instead of forcing them up just because it's the first open look, then our season will end in a week.

3 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I would contend that Kessler could be more of an offensive threat with real facilitators and a good offense. In a game where he had one good shoulder and his guards played their usual mehness, he still got 16 vs a team that flustered Castleton (who’s definitely a great offensive player).

I don’t see what he’d gain from staying another season here unless he knew for a fact that defenses wouldn’t just be able to do what they did vs us for the past month and a half again. He doesn’t even get the ball 90% of the time he’s in good position 😂

His low post offense needs alot of work. Most of his points are on lob dunks, or put backs. He cant play with his back to the basket. Needs to get alot stronger

Someone posted that AU wasn't ready for the junk defense the aggies played. Spot on. Buzz out coached Bruce. It also seems something is out of whack since Flanagan has been starting 

Edited by NWALA Tiger

8 hours ago, 81spacetiger said:

Looking forward to seeing the coaching staff does between now and the NCAA tournament.  The guard play and half court offensive need to be fixed to the extent we can make changes. 

It would ne nice to see the coach make some CHANGES when the guard play is looking off track EARLY in the game.  Why wait when you can see the HOLE opening up early in the game. I hope everyone is made to sit and watch that performance to see what a $hit $how looks like.

You’ll know quickly enough if Flannigan and Johnson trot out there to start the game that it’s the same ole $hit $ how

Nobody plays with their back to the basket anymore. We haven't ran an offense through the post in at least 5 years. 

You don't start messing with a line up this late in the season. That would be stupid. We just need good PG play. Keep the pace right, create for guys, handles the ball. 

• Like 1

I told everybody tournament ball will be different. People have our body of work and scouted us. They see all the stuff I said about our guards and they are going to attack it.

To get to where we want one of our guards will have to play better. Right now it's pack it's get up in us to disrupt the flow and make us shoot. If we can't hit it's pack the paint if we hit a couple it will be deny and funnel. 

And we can't ever not give an excellent effort on defense. Maybe this will be good for us. Idk. We actually need two but we have to have at least one guy who can create shots for himself and everybody else. 

I knew it was going to make everybody mad but our guards.....I just haven't been super impressed. Everybody is one dimensional. Everybody has that one thing they can do but we need a guy that is versatile and can do many things.

• Like 6

13 hours ago, NWALA Tiger said:

His low post offense needs alot of work. Most of his points are on lob dunks, or put backs. He cant play with his back to the basket. Needs to get alot stronger

He gets like 1 of those possessions every 3 games lol. There’s not enough data to make that assertion. His footwork is great on them though, as long as that’s there, the strength training for a NBA team is gonna exceed whatever we could offer 

• Love 1

That box and 1 did kill them for all of the first half that I was able to see them, I will say that 

They seemed to go more traditional and just trap Wendell like everyone else has been once that stopped working in the second half. I feel like you have a ton of potential options on defense for guys if we’re in settle mode. I feel like that lends itself to an early upset against some well coached nobody 

33 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

He gets like 1 of those possessions every 3 games lol. There’s not enough data to make that assertion. His footwork is great on them though, as long as that’s there, the strength training for a NBA team is gonna exceed whatever we could offer 

I've seen enuf to know his offensive game needs work. Yes his timing on blocking shots is good. But he needs to work on his low post game. Develop a hook shot, drop step or some other move. He also has no business shooting 3's. But that can be said for others on the team as well

8 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

I've seen enuf to know his offensive game needs work. Yes his timing on blocking shots is good. But he needs to work on his low post game. Develop a hook shot, drop step or some other move. He also has no business shooting 3's. But that can be said for others on the team as well

Respectfully disagree. Which big man in the NBA post people up AD, Embiid and Giannis all shoot 3s and shoot jumpers. Especially AD, he doesn’t like the blocks. Giannis starts at the top of the key most times and two steps he is at the rim. May Embiid and Ayton are the only two that might post people up. No matter what every team needs a time protector he will be fine. IMO it’s hard to judge him in Auburns offense because that’s now how it’s built. Also the guards miss him more often than not when he is wide open.

4 minutes ago, e808 said:

Respectfully disagree. Which big man in the NBA post people up AD, Embiid and Giannis all shoot 3s and shoot jumpers. Especially AD, he doesn’t like the blocks. Giannis starts at the top of the key most times and two steps he is at the rim. May Embiid and Ayton are the only two that might post people up. No matter what every team needs a time protector he will be fine. IMO it’s hard to judge him in Auburns offense because that’s now how it’s built. Also the guards miss him more often than not when he is wide open.

No problem.  I'm just old school I guess. But if I was 7ft 1in. I would work on domination in the paint offense and defense.  Can u imagine if Oscar Tshibwe was 7ft 1in?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, cole256 said:

I told everybody tournament ball will be different. People have our body of work and scouted us. They see all the stuff I said about our guards and they are going to attack it.

To get to where we want one of our guards will have to play better. Right now it's pack it's get up in us to disrupt the flow and make us shoot. If we can't hit it's pack the paint if we hit a couple it will be deny and funnel. 

And we can't ever not give an excellent effort on defense. Maybe this will be good for us. Idk. We actually need two but we have to have at least one guy who can create shots for himself and everybody else. 

I knew it was going to make everybody mad but our guards.....I just haven't been super impressed. Everybody is one dimensional. Everybody has that one thing they can do but we need a guy that is versatile and can do many things.

Cole thanks for you analysis. I'm just sitting here watching TA&M and it looks like all of their perimeter players can handle and create.  Plus they are long and athletic. I'm happy with what we have but I can dream...lol. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

No problem.  I'm just old school I guess. But if I was 7ft 1in. I would work on domination in the paint offense and defense.  Can u imagine if Oscar Tshibwe was 7ft 1in?

I totally understand where u coming from. I am a big Laker fan and it drives me nutz when AD has a smaller man on him and decides to shoot jumpers instead of using the post

6 minutes ago, creed said:

Cole thanks for you analysis. I'm just sitting here watching TA&M and it looks like all of their perimeter players can handle and create.  Plus they are long and athletic. I'm happy with what we have but I can dream...lol. 

I hear ya. But if we hit just a third of our 3 pointers, we easily win. 
we are short that one guy that can consistently hit the three. 
And aTm is on fire. 
If we had squeaked by aTm, I think we take care of Arky. 
But for the love of Pete, stop throwing up threes before trying to get the ball down low on a smaller team!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CCTAU said:

I hear ya. But if we hit just a third of our 3 pointers, we easily win. 
we are short that one guy that can consistently hit the three. 
And aTm is on fire. 
If we had squeaked by aTm, I think we take care of Arky. 
But for the love of Pete, stop throwing up threes before trying to get the ball down low on a smaller team!

Man TAMU is how u want to be going into the big dance. 

1 hour ago, e808 said:

Hope they make it.   Today's victory should have sealed it but you never know.   If they just don't want to take 7 SEC teams I will allow them to substitute TAMU for bama.  I realize that might hurt the conference overall but I am a diplomat if anything.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, casatiger said:

Hope they make it.   Today's victory should have sealed it but you never know.   If they just don't want to take 7 SEC teams I will allow them to substitute TAMU for bama.  I realize that might hurt the conference overall but I am a diplomat if anything.  

Yeah they should swap TAMU for that trash bipolar team on the west side of the state. I know it ain’t happening bc of the small handful of impressive wins peppered throughout the first half of their schedule.

5 hours ago, e808 said:

They may be THE hottest team right now. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, CCTAU said:

They may be THE hottest team right now. 

Virginia Tech is in that conversation, too, but yep, the Aggies are playing their best right now. 4th game in 4 days may catch up with them today, but maybe adrenaline will carry them through against Tennessee.

3 hours ago, SLAG-91 said:

Virginia Tech is in that conversation, too, but yep, the Aggies are playing their best right now. 4th game in 4 days may catch up with them today, but maybe adrenaline will carry them through against Tennessee.

I believe you are right. TN looks more fresh and a lot quicker. 
4 in 4 in this year’s SEC will wear you out.