2023 4* OL Bo Hughley || Flip Watch?!

Rednilla

One thing I fear about this staff is their genuine lack of a feel on kids. I don’t think these guys are blind optimists. Maybe that’s the problem. But I think they just don’t have a good read on kids.

It’s REALLY hurt us in CBH’s first two years. Learn when to cut bait and focus attention elsewhere. I especially think about a few of these high profile long distance kids. The receiver last year from Washington state that we flew up to visit, who clearly wasn’t coming, but feigned interest late.

Kid ended up going to Michigan, who barely even recruited him. 

Got to accept the reality sometimes and be wiser about who to spend precious time and energy on.

This is not entirely accurate. That was Darrius Clemons who AU was in on for months. He is from Oregon, not Washington. He flew across country at least twice to visit AU. Once in the summer on an official and later in the fall on his own dime for the season opener. That’s not feigning interest late. It may be time to cut bait on Bo H but our staff was right to keep pursuing a highly touted guy who did two campus visits and stayed in constant contact with them for almost a year. 

Edited by Gowebb11
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

There is not 8-10 OL left.   Next year will be rough.  

You do realize that there will be a lot more kids entering the transfer portal once the season is over, right?

You do realize that there will be a lot more kids entering the transfer portal once the season is over, right?

Yes.  I was being somewhat sarcastic.  

• Like 1

Yes.  I was being somewhat sarcastic.  

My apologies for not catching that.

This is not entirely accurate. That was Darrius Clemons who AU was in on for months. He is from Oregon, not Washington. He flew across country at least twice to visit AU. Once in the summer on an official and later in the fall on his own dime for the season opener. That’s not feigning interest late. It may be time to cut bait on Bo H but our staff was right to keep pursuing a highly touted guy who did two campus visits and stayed in constant contact with them for almost a year. 

No, I remember his recruitment. We were on him early and he visited early in the season. But he dropped us cold when his dream school Oregon wanted him. Oregon pulled the rug on him late, so we thought we had a shot to get back in, so we flew out to visit. But the kid clearly just didn’t want to be at Auburn. 

I think he went to UM without ever even taking an OV.

• Facepalm 1

We better do a better job of recruiting the portal than last year. I’m not banking on portal guys at ALL.

• Like 1

We better do a better job of recruiting the portal than last year. I’m not banking on portal guys at ALL.

I would rather have 5* HS lineman commit.  Just putting that out there first.  However, under the current transfer portal environment, taking transfers vs 3* type development guys on the OL is a better option.  We didn't have immediate playing time this past recruiting cycle.   Next cycle will have more to offer.  

• Like 2

I would rather have 5* HS lineman commit.  Just putting that out there first.  However, under the current transfer portal environment, taking transfers vs 3* type development guys on the OL is a better option.  We didn't have immediate playing time this past recruiting cycle.   Next cycle will have more to offer.  

Personally, I'd rather have five high schoolers who are rated 4-5 stars and five third to fifth year players in the portal. That way we have veterans as starters with the next wave ready to step in at the first opportunity.

Hopefully that's the way it works out. I doubt if we can really pull in five high schoolers rated 4 stars or better on the OL, but it's not impossible, at least. And I do think we're going to see a far superior product on the field compared to what we have been seeing, which should help the recruiting efforts.

• Like 1

I don't recall a single O-line player from the portal that AU even offered last year. Apparently o-line guys aren't that common in the portal.

A cursory look at the Rivals 250 shows 6 uncommitted O-line players in the entire nation. If we're to get 4* or better O-line guys we'll have to flip them and that isn't easy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A cursory look at the recruiting news on this board reveals talk of stocking up in the transfer portal and flipping recruits. 

In other words, we are in a bad way. 

• Like 1

A cursory look at the recruiting news on this board reveals talk of stocking up in the transfer portal and flipping recruits. 

Doesn’t have to be though , is why I am confused. Still offensive linemen, albeit not as highly rated out there. But I am just talking out my ass, I don’t know how to scout an offensive linemen hahaha

It is interesting though to see the star ratings of those linemen who make it at the next level from random schools. 

• Like 3

giphy.gif

• Haha 3

Doesn’t have to be though , is why I am confused. Still offensive linemen, albeit not as highly rated out there. But I am just talking out my ass, I don’t know how to scout an offensive linemen hahaha

It is interesting though to see the star ratings of those linemen who make it at the next level from random schools. 

Great point on the linemen to the next level from random schools. This years NFL draft first rounders was eye opening. O linemen taken in round 1 included the following schools: Chattanooga, Iowa, Tulsa, NC St, BC, and Northern Iowa. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, DAG said:

I'd honestly be fine if we suddenly got four of five 2 star OL commits. We can still go after bigger fish. We need bodies and we have the room. Coach them up and hope you hit on a diamond in the rough. Better than nothing. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, cbo said:

I'd honestly be fine if we suddenly got four of five 2 star OL commits. We can still go after bigger fish. We need bodies and we have the room. Coach them up and hope you hit on a diamond in the rough. Better than nothing. 

I'm hoping our recent staff hires are keying in on this. One would assume it's a major focus. 

On 8/13/2022 at 11:59 PM, cbo said:

Auburn likes living on the EDGE .

Banking on pulling talented portal players and flipping 4-5* commits from the top recruiting teams in the nation.  That's the way to really LIVE

:drippingsarcasm7pa:

• Haha 3