2023 4* OL Bo Hughley || Flip Watch?!

Rednilla

Good idea and sounds simple. Any thoughts on why we didn’t do that last time? 

I never said that I thought we'd have the pick of the litter. But I think it's important to point out that since that last search, a few things have happened:

• A guy at a D2 school landed the #1 recruit in the nation (there is no freaking way Jackson State has more $ than us).
  • The embargo against Freeze expired (I think).
  • We have seen that PC/AHC is no longer an automatic disqualifier in the SEC.
Edited by AUwent
  • Dislike 1

I never said that I thought we'd have the pick of the litter. But I think it's important to point out that since that last search, a few things have happened:

• A guy at a D2 school landed the #1 recruit in the nation (there is no freaking way Jackson State has more $ than us).

You lose me with Freeze

You lose me with Freeze

Fair. He wouldn't be my personal choice either, but I've heard good arguments for him and felt like putting him on there.

• Like 1

Fair. He wouldn't be my personal choice either, but I've heard good arguments for him and felt like putting him on there.

You can put all the names you want on there but as of right now we have a coach that will hopefully be here for many years.

• Like 4

You can put all the names you want on there but as of right now we have a coach that will hopefully be here for many years.

Hopefully things do start going right. But as of right now, I see 7-6/8-5 this year (bowl is the swing, at least we likely won’t get put with a team with much better record) and then 4-8/5-7 next year. If CBH kills it in the TP, then perhaps we take another step forward in year 3 and might actually get something going. I see very little to indicate that happening as of right now, though.

• Like 1

This shows how out of touch you are..Travis didn’t go to JSU simply because of money. Culture and relationships still matter believe it or not. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

This shows how out of touch you are..Travis didn’t go to JSU simply because of money. Culture and relationships still matter believe it or not. 

Yeah they matter a lot. Folks think it’s all just NIL or nothing, no you still have to recruit and build relationships. If it was all about money then Hunter obviously wouldn’t have went to JSU

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Culture and relationships still matter believe it or not. 

Apparently the culture and relationships at AU aren't resonating with very many prospects. We sit here at 13th out of 14 in the SEC in recruiting, having surged past Missouri in recent weeks.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Apparently the culture and relationships at AU aren't resonating with very many prospects. We sit here at 13th out of 14 in the SEC in recruiting, having surged past Missouri in recent weeks.

Mikey, your in rare form this evening 

• Like 1

This is GOOD. And it furthers my point—Prime is a HELL of a recruiter. IDK if he would say yes to us but if we’re on the market in the next 18 months, we should absolutely offer him.

• Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1
  • Dislike 2

Can there be an entirely separate forum for “who I want to be AU next football coach?” Please.  Seems nearly every dang thread ends up like this. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

Word has it that with the loss of Lew, we are going full-court press to flip Hughley.

Either the previous report of Hughley playing our staff and beat writers for a bigger bag from Georgia is wrong or our staff's ability to read/gauge recruits' interest is wrong...

The drama knows no end...

• Like 1

The likely scenario for Hughley in my humble opinion:We have little to no chance. First, if he’s truly shaky in his UGA commit, Kirby would under no circumstance allow them to be outbid by AU for the optics alone. Second, we are struggling mightily to recruit O linemen and with only one commit, BH knows he can take his time in coming on board or not. Third, if the recruiting alphas know he’s remotely flippable they are already circling like vultures to land him. Think UAT, USC, Miami, Clemson, etc…If that happens we’re left at the altar again. 
I hope I’m wrong but these situations rarely play out in our favor. 

Edited by Gowebb11
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

The likely scenario for Hughley in my humble opinion:We have little to no chance. First, if he’s truly shaky in his UGA commit, Kirby would under no circumstance allow them to be outbid by AU for the optics alone. Second, we are struggling mightily to recruit O linemen and with only one commit, BH knows he can take his time in coming on board or not. Third, if the recruiting alphas know he’s remotely flippable they are already circling like vultures to land him. Think UAT, USC, Miami, Clemson, etc…If that happens we’re left at the altar again. 
I hope I’m wrong but these situations rarely play out in our favor. 

Just going to have to overpay for some guys until momentum gets favorable.

• Like 1

Word has it that with the loss of Lew, we are going full-court press to flip Hughley.

Either the previous report of Hughley playing our staff and beat writers for a bigger bag from Georgia is wrong or our staff's ability to read/gauge recruits' interest is wrong...

The drama knows no end...

If the rumor about him using Dukes to drive him to Auburn is true then I’m not sure I want the kid anyways. Besides, there’s no guarantee he’ll be a stud in college anyways (ex. Cohen) 

Dukes was still saying to be patient on a Twitter cast last night. 

• Like 1

It would be huge if we could pull off the flip. I think the odds of it happening are about as good as my winning one of the big lotteries.

FWIW, the staff still believes we have a real shot with Bo.

• Thanks 1

FWIW, the staff still believes we have a real shot with Bo.

Iono how comforting that is to be honest. But I am hoping he sees the play on the field as well. 

• Like 2

Iono how comforting that is to be honest. But I am hoping he sees the play on the field as well. 

That's why I prefaced it with FWIW; I don't know how much it's worth, either.

• Like 2

That's why I prefaced it with FWIW; I don't know how much it's worth, either.

I am with you. At the beginning so many said he was going to flip then nothing then started again. After a while hearing staff thinks we still have a chance with him doesn't get any reaction out of me anymore.  Now the only way I will get a rise is if he actually does flip. If great O-line play would help him decide then our O-Line will have to play a lot better than last couple of years. I am not normally a Debbie Downer but O-Line recruiting is bothering me and only way to make me feel better is  a couple of solid commits in addition to Joyner.

• Like 3

I am with you. At the beginning so many said he was going to flip then nothing then started again. After a while hearing staff thinks we still have a chance with him doesn't get any reaction out of me anymore.  Now the only way I will get a rise is if he actually does flip. If great O-line play would help him decide then our O-Line will have to play a lot better than last couple of years. I am not normally a Debbie Downer but O-Line recruiting is bothering me and only way to make me feel better is  a couple of solid commits in addition to Joyner.

Actually, I'm told the plan is to bring in 8-10 O-linemen in this class between the high schoolers and portal additions. I'm guessing that probably means 4-5 of each, which means we will *hopefully* see some dividends before too long. 

Main thing is we just need the season to start so we can get some positive momentum going. We really, really need to beat Penn State.

• Like 4

Actually, I'm told the plan is to bring in 8-10 O-linemen in this class between the high schoolers and portal additions. I'm guessing that probably means 4-5 of each, which means we will *hopefully* see some dividends before too long. 

Main thing is we just need the season to start so we can get some positive momentum going. We really, really need to beat Penn State.

There is not 8-10 OL left.   Next year will be rough.  

One thing I fear about this staff is their genuine lack of a feel on kids. I don’t think these guys are blind optimists. Maybe that’s the problem. But I think they just don’t have a good read on kids.

It’s REALLY hurt us in CBH’s first two years. Learn when to cut bait and focus attention elsewhere. I especially think about a few of these high profile long distance kids. The receiver last year from Washington state that we flew up to visit, who clearly wasn’t coming, but feigned interest late.

Kid ended up going to Michigan, who barely even recruited him. 

Got to accept the reality sometimes and be wiser about who to spend precious time and energy on.

• Like 2