BREAKING: Calzada done for the season

TAYLORKEETON

Just now, MaxCohen216 said:

Calzada has no ties to Auburn.  He came here only because he thought he could get playing time.  He has no ingrained love for Auburn.  Given the choice between wasting a year playing hurt for AU once the other QBs faltered, or claiming a medical redshirt for the season, he made the best choice for himself.  Easy come, easy go.  And good riddance, IMHO.

He has the same ties as all the rest of the players (part if the team). Same as all the 2022  recruits (including Geriner). Players should not bail out on their teams .

1 hour ago, abw0004 said:

The Geriner family are driving to Auburn as we speak to watch the game in person.  Look for Holden to play if not start.

Him starting would be a shock to me, however, the only reason I could see it is the Missouri has no film to evaluate him.  Good luck to the young man.

54 minutes ago, MaxCohen216 said:

Calzada has no ties to Auburn.  He came here only because he thought he could get playing time.  He has no ingrained love for Auburn.  Given the choice between wasting a year playing hurt for AU once the other QBs faltered, or claiming a medical redshirt for the season, he made the best choice for himself.  Easy come, easy go.  And good riddance, IMHO.

We went from, "Hey, we snagged the TAMU QB who beat Bama!" to "Will never play a snap" at warp speed. :blink:

1 minute ago, EagleEye67 said:

We went from, "Hey, we snagged the TAMU QB who beat Bama!" to "Will never play a snap" at warp speed. :blink:

Sub-light speed, IMHO.

Can't say I blame him for taking the medical redshirt. Gotta do what's best for him. 

Excited to see if we mold the offense around Robby. Can't say I have much faith in this staff to do it, but if we go heavy on the zone read and RPO game, we may blow the top off Mizzou. 

7 minutes ago, AuburnEagle79 said:

Can't say I blame him for taking the medical redshirt. Gotta do what's best for him. 

Excited to see if we mold the offense around Robby. Can't say I have much faith in this staff to do it, but if we go heavy on the zone read and RPO game, we may blow the top off Mizzou. 

Quick slants and QB reads. I watched the eagles so that all last Monday with hurts until it opened up the play action. Of course the offensive line had a pulse too. That helps . This cannot be forgotten. The offensive line is awful.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, AuburnEagle79 said:

I think Robbie and his run-first approach would have worked great with Bo Jackson and Lionel James when I was a student at AU, but the game has changed.  And Bo Jackson is not in our current backfield.  Tank ain't no Bo.  Not even close.

Today, we need a handoff QB who can pass all over the field.  We don't have that.

3 minutes ago, MaxCohen216 said:

I think Robbie and his run-first approach would have worked great with Bo Jackson and Lionel James when I was a student at AU, but the game has changed.  And Bo Jackson is not in our current backfield.  Tank ain't no Bo.  Not even close.

Today, we need a handoff QB who can pass all over the field.  We don't have that.

The game has certainly changed, but it's changed in favor of spread offenses, read options, and dual threat quarterbacks. Almost everyone does it. 

Sure, it would be nice if we could hand it off to Tank every play and then complete a pass anywhere on the field, but we aren't UGA. 

22 minutes ago, AuburnEagle79 said:

The game has certainly changed, but it's changed in favor of spread offenses, read options, and dual threat quarterbacks. Almost everyone does it. 

Sure, it would be nice if we could hand it off to Tank every play and then complete a pass anywhere on the field, but we aren't UGA. 

To me, it seems that today's game is seeing a return to the prototypical drop-back passing QB.

On 9/22/2022 at 12:56 PM, gravejd said:

Ha! Harsin's handpicked transfer QB just bailed on him. I would feel bad for him but man after so many poor decisions its really hard too

It’s sort of strange the player would tell the coach he is opting out for surgery. He is gone. 

On 9/22/2022 at 1:28 PM, NWALA Tiger said:

I wonder which of our players will sit out the bowl game this yr 

Bold to assume there will be a bowl game

Did I hear announcement from sidelines that his status was going to be reconsidered Monday? Or did I just imagine that? Pregame?

Edited by alexava

26 minutes ago, alexava said:

Did I hear announcement from sidelines that his status was going to be reconsidered Monday? Or did I just imagine that? Pregame?

Anybody have a clue why two QBs who are out for the game, one of who is out for the season, are warming up in full pads before a game they aren't going to play in? Is this normal and I'm just an idiot? Again? 🤷

Edited by JuscAUse!
  • Like 2

On 9/22/2022 at 1:10 PM, DAG said:

Good for him. Prioritize yourself especially in a bleak season and offensive line that we have. I would be heading to the transfer portal if I was him. The next coach won’t be keeping him around I bet as well. 

he may not have much choice

17 hours ago, JuscAUse! said:

Anybody have a clue why two QBs who are out for the game, one of who is out for the season, are warming up in full pads before a game they aren't going to play in? Is this normal and I'm just an idiot? Again? 🤷

I wondered that myself:dunno: